AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    2nd Gear

Status

New Battery Required. anyone used this one? Bosch S5

im after a new battery. mine has died twice last week, confirmed its dying tonight with a Voltage check and test.

a Bosch S5 battery was recommended to me and was wondering if anyone has used this, if so, any good?

halfords link.

where to get one from. heard the bosch range was around 45 from andrew paige

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    The price people charge to replace a battery is a joke. I've just changed 3 batteries and used the Bosch S5, so far they have been very good, and if you are a member at costco, the you can get them for around 65+ VAT which is a dam sight better than chavfords.

2nd Gear

Status
    is there a specific one i should get for my A4 2.5 TDI or will any one do?

6th Gear

Status
    hey guys just check euro parts online when you put your reg in it it will give
    you the right one and other things for your car and good price too.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by trs888 View Post
    is there a specific one i should get for my A4 2.5 TDI or will any one do?
    Measure up your current battery length ways, and get the equivalent size Bosch S5 battery, or their is a chart on the stand which states which battery for which make/model of car.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I've just had mine replaced with a Varta Silver Dynamic E38:

Click herefor details. This isn't who I got it from, but it does provide details of the spec, and a reference point for price comparisons.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

1st Gear

Status
    Mines been playing up over the past few weeks also, had to jump start it a few mornings.

So went to Halfords on way home from work to see what they had and the Bosch S5 is 120 , but can get one for 76 using the Halfords Trade card.

Checked the one fitted and it states 380A 80Ah, but the Bosch S5 said 780A 77Ah, so would this be ok to fit?

Neutral

Status
    Oh yes indeed its a higher spec with that cranking capacity

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Check out GSF (German & Swedish) for batteries - they stock Bosch batteries.
    Fraction of the price of Halfords!
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woorlord View Post
    Check out GSF (German & Swedish) for batteries - they stock Bosch batteries.
    Fraction of the price of Halfords!
    Cheers Woorlord, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

2nd Gear

Status
    got one for 85 inc Vat. a bosch S5, i think its the Bosch 12V Silver Car Battery HSB096 780 amps one. ill double check tomorrow.

gonna fit it tomorrow lunch time. hopefully will solve my problems.

they wanted 125 in halfords. got them to check the battery today, it was 47% capacity.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by way318 View Post
    Cheers Woorlord, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.
    Rang GSF today and they said that a 80Ah battery would be 75.20 (Audi OEM). Also rang a motor factors near my work and a Varta was 69.90 with 2 yrs.

But thinking about it the Bosch S5 from Halfords is only 6 more with using the Trade card than the Varta and comes with a 5yrs cover.

Is it a straight forward job to remove the old one and fit the new one?

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Straight forward but awkward - unbolt the old one and lift it out, lift in the new one and bolt it down. Battery is very heavy and at arms length a pain to fit - just be patient!
    (Depending on model an engine bay covers fitted you will have to remove them around the battery - that's the easy bit.)
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

2nd Gear

Status
    I followed these instructions.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2700414

It was a good guide. really fiddly , took me 1 hour so no sandwich for me at lunch time

i think mine has 5 years warranty, or 4. cant remember. when i get my energy back after todays crazy antics ill have a look. but for now, im relaxing.....

i had to follow that guide backwards starting from 10 because he didnt do the guide till he put the new battery in.

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    if you have a friend to help you should put a strong pole through the battery handles and lift each end. saves the old back
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade