Oil in coolant

Al@n

Reaction score
I have a 2001 2.0 sport and have just discovered oil has been mixing with the coolant in the header bottle, was driving last night and the oil light came on, pulled over to top it up and looked in the coolant bottle at the same time and discovered a brown sludge in there, this would explain why it has been using oil!
Anyone else experienced this? I am hoping it isnt the head gasket, the car has not been over heating. Have read elsewhere that it could be the oil cooler?

Cheers
Alan

mate got to say not looking good get it looked at i only no of one thing that does that and that is the head gasket

thanks was thinking the same but not wanting to believe it!

i can understand that not the best thing to have go wrong had it on my old car.

Its a manual. never heard of them going on Audi's before, not like a rover anyway!

Had this happen to my old a4 tdi, was the head gasket then 3wks l8r it happened again same symptoms but turned out to be the oil cooler 2nd time. So the answer to your question is it could be either!!

I was working on our lasses a3 tdi yesterday. Noticed the oil cooler is the same as the old Mk2 golfs. So chances are its the oil cooler. They were always going.

thanks for the replies, think I will change the oil cooler first as its the least expensive option then go for the head gasket if that doesn't work.