52 plate gearbox over boost issue......help, advice needed.

theref175

Reaction score
Dear all,

I have a 52 plate a4 2.5 tdi v6, tiptronic box which has done 51k...........i got it serviced last week and car came back with an intermitten over boost fault on the box. The car does drag a little when going from stop to something if going up hill. Other wise the car drives well and and will happily sit at 80/85mph on the motorway. on occassion when pushing from 50-70 it will over rev but switching into manual mode it will change up as it should, strange.

Am i thinking this is a relativley meduim cost fix or am i facing a 1500 or so quid bill for a new box, i hear the recon box has to have new updated parts put into it before fitting.

any help, guidance, advice would be really greatly appreciated

many thanks

richard

Is the car a Quattro or just front-wheel-drive.?

If it's not a Quattro, then the auto box is a multitronic CVT-style, and they have to have the gearbox oil changed every 40,000 miles.

pretty sure its not a quattro......will this help solve the issue, is it an easy job or a mechanic job

I have to say I'm a bit surprised you don't know whether your car is a Quattro or not. Are there drive shafts connected to the back wheels? If there aren't, it's not a quattro and the car has a Multitronic CVT.

Changing the oil on a Multitronic is not a DIY job. A good reliable independent should do it for about £150. But I stress, this has to be done at least every 40,000 miles, otherwise there is a very good chance that the box will have problems. You say your car has done 51,000 miles. Does it have a service history? If it does, is there anything to indicate whether it has been done?

Hi Jdp,

Thanks for your repsponse, the car didn't have a stamp at 40k but 3 stamps before including major belts. ( prior to my ownership, Just had service which has brought up this fault code (over boost) and the smal amount of judder when initially pulling away. Im in this situation, chances of changing oil fixing problem ? compared to putting the 150 towards a re-con box with the upgraded boost thing. shrugs ....any advice will be great, many thanks.

rich

Well, if it was me, I'd definitely get the oil change done first, but it's your money, not mine.