HELP ENGINE WENT ON FIRE!!!!! NEED HELP IDENTIFIYING CAUSE

basspower

Reaction score
MY ENGINE JUST CAUGHT FIRE ON MY A4 B6 2.0 I NEED TO NO WHAT THIS THING IS CIRCLED IN RED IN THIS PIC ( THIS IS NOT MY ENGINE ) BUT ITS THE PART THAT WAS RED HOT AND THE CABLE CONNECTED TO IT WAS ON FIRE. FRIEND MANAGED TO BLOW IT OUT BEFORE IT BLEW UP IM IN SHOCK RIGHT NOW SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS LOL HERES THE PIC...
enginew.jpg

That's the lambda sensor, it monitors the exhaust gases. I'm not surprise it was hot but am surprised it was on fire, my guess is oil on the cable.

i had convenience module replaced 2 days ago could the electircian have caused this fault?

No, the convenience module is no where near the lambda sensor, it's under the drivers/passenger seat (cannot remember which)it's on a different bus system, and different fuses etc. Do you have a oil leak around the manifold? or dropped any oil when toping up the engine. The lambda sensor will get ****** hot and any oil in that area will start to smoke. The other option the lambda sensor has failed and started to heat up the wiring and caused the fire. What ever caused it you will have to change the sensor which will include a new cable. Check around the manifold for any oil leaks.

Last edited: