Steering Wheel replacement

dalespitfire

Quattrophenia
Reaction score
Evening Chaps.

Odd question this one but stick with me!

My motor is one of the run out B6's with the full Gmbh badged S-Line kit, but none of the interior trinketry!

I'm wanting to add the door sill scuff plates ideally but the scrappy down the road from me has a saloon and having an Avant I guess the sills are different.

He does however have an S-Line badged perforated leather steering wheel which looks quite tidy. Airbag intact and everything for £70.

Question is how easy is it to swap a like for like wheel?

Cheers Lads

Is it the 3 leg with the round boss in the middle steering wheel? if it is then i would buy it anyway for that money its worth £325 seperate on e-bay does it have multi functions? then get the mfsw module as well you would be on to a winner does it have cruise and dis as well the list goes on. But to the question its not hard to swap there's plenty of threads on it but disconnect the battery when un plugging the airbag is my tip.

Is it the 3 leg with the round boss in the middle steering wheel? if it is then i would buy it anyway for that money its worth £325 seperate on e-bay does it have multi functions? then get the mfsw module as well you would be on to a winner does it have cruise and dis as well the list goes on. But to the question its not hard to swap there's plenty of threads on it but disconnect the battery when un plugging the airbag is my tip.

Yeah, probably a good idea!

No its just a 3 spoke wheel with an airbag - but it has the perforated leather and the s-line badge which my 3 spoke sport wheel doesn't.

They seem to go for £80-125 on ebay so it on the money.

I need to have another look at the stalks but dont recall it having cruise.

Is the one being scrapped a B6? if not and it's a B7 then you will have the single to dual stage conversion & all the questions... like will the airbag fire in a crash.

If it's a B6 then it's just a case of removing your old one and fitting the new one, but remember to disconnect the battery.

Is the one being scrapped a B6? if not and it's a B7 then you will have the single to dual stage conversion & all the questions... like will the airbag fire in a crash.

If it's a B6 then it's just a case of removing your old one and fitting the new one, but remember to disconnect the battery.

Nah, its a B6 so no two stage firing probs.

Presume you just disconnect battery, unscrew the airbag from rear, pull airbag away and unclip it, undo wheel boss nut, remove wheel, refit new wheel, refit nut, clip airbag in, rescrew, reconnect battery?

Get some advice or preferably, get it fitted professionally - some home retro-fit jobs have been invovled in accidents and the airbag hasn't fired!

That said: best upgrade in my car by a LONG way, especially if it's got the controls!

This is not a retro fit of a B7 wheel or a MFSW.

Its effectively just a straight swap, or in other words I'm paying for a badge and some dimpled cow.:faint:

Presume you just disconnect battery, unscrew the airbag from rear, pull airbag away and unclip it, undo wheel boss nut, remove wheel, refit new wheel, refit nut, clip airbag in, rescrew, reconnect battery?

Thats it i've changed mine twice as my original had marks in the leather,got a brand new one off ebay for £25.00 but it feels thinner than my original.
So i have been looking at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A2-A3-A4...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439d356eb6

Had my steering wheel off a few times - was investigating alternatives for gear change controls, then found my slip ring needed upgrading for the extra connections required.
However, when refitting the steering wheel, the manual advises using a new steering wheel nut!
[Part No. N 907 991 02 @ ~£2.57 +VAT]
(If not have some loctite available to lock the steering wheel nut.)

Last edited:
b6 to b6 with no functions is as simple as it gets, straight swap over, NO need to disconnect airbag either, its a myth ! plug and play !

How do you remove the wheel without disconnecting the airbag wires going to the slip ring?

Have to say I would still disconnect the battery, I've done a few a fair few MFSW & cruise retrofits, and disconnected the battery every time and to date have never had a problem. For the couple of minutes it take to rest the keys/window's, ABS, steering angle etc, for me it's just not worth taking the risk.

as above b5nut, done a few now, never had an issue, gareth at hazzy days never disconnects either, which is where i found out there was no reason too.