Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications

Thread: Batt Flattery

2nd Gear

Status

Batt Flattery

Hi All,

Does anyone know what fault condition brings on the red battery symbol on the dash. Is it a fault with the alternator or is it a fault with the battery. I haven't had the red light come on but the battery is flat. By knowing which one would bring the indicator on I was hoping to determine which could be at fault. I'll investigate further tomorrow but was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on it before then. Car is an S4 Cab and i'm hoping it is going to be the battery rather than the alternator.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    could be either, best way to check would be with a multi/volt metre accross the battery, check the voltage first on the battery, start the car, if it stays the same near enough its the alternator at fault, if it reads around 14 volts with the car running then its the battery not holding charge.

also check for lose earth straps and the connections on the battery and back of alternator.

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks Scott, Will check tomorrow and I think also call AA out

2nd Gear

Status
    Wasn't able to investigate today due to the weather but did ring a few places about a replacement battery. Some local motor factotrs were 80-90 + vat, Halfords want 130 for a Bosch equivalent and local Audi main dealer want 103 + vat for direct replacement. So if it proves to be the battery that's at fault I think I will go with Audi as there won't be a problem with clamps etc as Ive read on other posts you might have to modify.

5th Gear

Status
    befor you fork out 120 or so, just check the voltage on the battery with the car ignition off, and with the car running.

no point spending 120 when it might be the alternator at fault

but due to the cold weather at the moment, if the battery is weak, then the weather will affect it

2nd Gear

Status
    Ok Scott, will check tomorrow if weather ok. Thanks

2nd Gear

Status
    Called the AA out and he tested battery and alternator and to my relief the machine confirmed it was the battery that needed replacing and the alternator was fine and working well. The AA patrolman said to try Halfords as they fit batteries for a small fee so I tried them and they took one look and said they wouldn't do it, too complicated. I bought the battery anyway to fit myself ( Bosch S5 130 ) and went home to give it a go. After half an hour gave up and called local Audi who said they could supply, fit, reset the roof, re-code the radio and re-sync the remotes (should it all require doing) the next day for 146 inc. So, very pleased with this quote, I took the Bosch batt back to Halfords, got my money back and Audi fitted the new battery the next day. Very professional service as usual from my local main dealer, worry free and for only 16 more than what I paid for the Halfords replacement which incidentally was physically bigger in size and I don't think would have fitted anyway. All in all Audi came up trumps and aren't always as expensive as we think.

3rd Gear

Status
    Glad you got it sorted but I am surprised to read that the AA didn't supply you with one? The battery in our cab died last year when the wife was away in it and the rac supplied and fitted one for 99 with a 5 year warranty

Available soon in the For Sale Section.....

RS4 Pedals - Drivers side mirror mounting/wiring
    B6 Cab Front Grills - Drivers side B6 Cab Headlamp
    Moro Blue Mirror Caps - Full set of Cab Windscreen Surrounds
    Symphony 6 disc Head - Unit Full set of B6 Cab Manuals inc Leather Wallet
    N/S B6 Rear Lamp - RS6 Auto Brake Pedal

PM for more details.......

6th Gear

Status
    Have to say it's shocking you had to pay almost 150 to replace a battery. Cosco do the Bosch S5 battery for just over 70, OK that is not fitted but it's not that hard and VAS side of thing should only take a tech around 5-10 min at most, but I guess like any company they have to make a profit.

Still the knowledge that the job was done correctly and the comeback you have if anything goes wrong can be worth the money.