a4 things to look for when buying

gary2010

Reaction score
Hi all

looking to buy an a4 as a replacement for my lexus as the fuel consumption is horrendous and i was wondering what sort of real time figures i can expect driving round town etc from the 1.8's and the 2 liters im preferably looking at a tiptronic car or similar.When i go to look to at one what sort of things shall i look out for or are they the same as the a3's?Any help would be appreciated.
Gary

From what i understand tip/auto car's will give poor mpg. Are you looking to buy a quattro or front wheel drive Audi? . Service history is a must, most audi's have the so called 2 year service plan which they say is a good thing. But in the real world a petrol turbo engine will require fresh oil 1-2 time's a year to keep thing's sweet. Another member my give you some tip's on the TDI engine.

will be front wheel drive probably when you say poor how poor are we talking becuase in my current car im currently getting 20,21 mpg around town .

With a front wheel drive manual you should see 30+ on a 1.8t (190/ 163 bhp) . TDI manual should be high 30's some claim to get 40+ mpg. Tip/Auto may not give the same mpg.

iv been looking at the 2 liter versions really as they are the best on insurance for me roughly in your opinion will it be better than low twenties around town eg 21-22 ?

The A4 2.0 . 02-05 b6 .. There are some basic tip's on What Car web site that may help.. Also some reader's reviews may make good reading, check it out.

Gary no problem, once you have bought your audi post some pic's .

Hi all

looking to buy an a4 as a replacement for my lexus as the fuel consumption is horrendous and i was wondering what sort of real time figures i can expect driving round town etc from the 1.8's and the 2 liters im preferably looking at a tiptronic car or similar.When i go to look to at one what sort of things shall i look out for or are they the same as the a3's?Any help would be appreciated.
Gary

Hi there, good choice for a start - the A4 is a cracking car - I've had three!

2001 (Y) A4 Sport 2.0L FSI

01-1.jpg

Note mine was the FSI model which is 163bhp. The pre-FSI model is 150bhp. By and large I was very happy with the car, the engine noise was great and the performance was ok. However, I did miss the turbo punch I was used to from my golf GTi. It would also return around 31mpg.

2001 (Y) A4 Sport 1.8T

01.jpg

Much much better car, the performance was loads better and 163bhp tubro charged engine was great fun to drive. The car also returned 35mpg on a good run and 30mpg on small runs to work.

2004 (04) A4 S-line 1.8T 190

02.jpg

Perfection. The performance is great, and it got even better when I got my local REVO dealer to remap the car to 230bhp which is great fun to drive. Strangly enough the mpg even got better too. On a good run my car will return 37mpg and shows 30mpg around town. Why bother with an expensive diesel! The only problem with mine is it's not a convertible, so I will be putting it up for sale soon!

Make sure you by either a Sport or Sline model as the seats are SO much more comfortable. The ride is a little harder but nothing too harsh. S-line came out in 2004 and replaced Sport. So all those (pre 2004) cars for sale with S-line badges on are not real S-line cars! Usually just sport models - and sometimes not even that!

The MultiTronic Auto box is bad and will cause you problems.
See: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=86&t=293692&mid=0&nmt=Audi's%20MultiTronic%20Gearbox

The Steptronic Auto box is much better, but only comes on Quattro cars. Quattro cars will leave you with poor mpg. Auto boxes will also leave you with poor mpg, so if mpg is important to you by a manual front wheel drive car.

As said above Service History is really important. Check all MOT's and receipts to make sure the mileage is correct and avoid cars that have had lots of owners as sometimes this can indicate the car is a hot potato!

Don't worry about getting the right wheels as these are not expensive to buy on ebay, but the right spec like leather seats, a nice colour and nice low mileage is far far more important.

Hope that helps - good luck!

Last edited:
Snap 190t with Badger5/custom code remap i'm very happy chap

been reading the link you sent me and thats kind of put a spanner into the works now as i really dont want to be lumbered with a huge bill.I dont think my budget could stretch to a newer a4 but iv got to get an auto due to dad driving the car as well.So im pretty stuck now as to what to get.Think il have to think on.
cheers all

Sounds like you should think about a 130bhp 1.9 TDi. I've never heard anyone be too critical of them, and they're nearly as 'real world' fast as the 2.0's I think.

Note mine was the FSI model which is 163bhp. The pre-FSI model is 150bhp.

You talking about the 2.0? I always understood that was 130bhp like the 1.9TDi..... Am I wrong in that?

Gary

Go for a diesel, mine is a 2004, 1.9tdi, now done 100500 miles and I get each morning 50-55 mpg doing a 12 mile run to Manchester! it's a great motor, powerful when needed. Mine was standard but have added

RNS-e
Alcantara
Silver Trim
Cruise
DIS
RS-4 pedals
RS-4 gear knob
go for 18" alloys
HID's
Arm rest
I pod link

Obviosly a full service history, make sure the timing belt and water pump have been done and you won't go far wrong.

Ian

thanks ian i think im going down that route now either that or get an a3 of some sorts.
thanks
gary

do all the early b6 a4's have the multitronic box or did they change as iv found a 1.8 t (163) auto but it doesnt list what box it has?Its on an 02 52 plate.
cheers

I understand all B6 A4's have the dreaded Multitronic auto box unless they are Quattro (Tiptronic). It is a real shocker I know - I really want an auto next as we have just bought an X5 with a auto box and it is lovely and smooth. Best bet is to buy either a A4 Quattro - or a BMW@!

Good advice. If you want an Auto buy a bmw with the 3ltr diesel and auto, e46 330d is best at the b6 price point, avoid the 2ltr as the engine eats itself. Its reliable, fast, refined, smooth and economical enough. I now have a B6 130 tdi Avant sport manual and much as I like it and the economy the bmw drivtrain IS in a different league. BMW 30 - 40 mpg vs 40 to 50 in the Audi.

i think all german cars are going to cost on the big things when they go wrong. i have a a4 115 tdi sport and love it.
iv had many cars in my time and this is my first diesel so i was worryed about power but the torque is great and on a run it hits as
hight as 62 mpg around town im putting 15 to 20 pounds in for 160 to 180 miles so its all good. friend of mine had a bmw 30.L with an auto box
cost him 700 to have just the reverse cluch fixed so thats just some thing to watch out for lovely cars though.

thanks all think that could be another option now then but i have seen a pretty nice 1.8t a3 which is pretty loaded so think i may be heading that way.
thanks again
Gary

i think all german cars are going to cost on the big things when they go wrong.
All cars cost these days when they go wrong ,and its the cheaper cars like your kia hyundai etc thats have mad prices on parts suprisingly.