Newbie question on A4 1.8T 190 Sline suspension firmness and steering problem

chiplegend

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new on here and wanted to ask you guru's out there some questions. Firstly my 2004 1.8T 190 Sline lowered is my first nice car!

Over the last 3 months I've noticed two things. The ride seems to have got a lot firmer, I'm feeling all the bumps in the raod!! Plus the steering feels alot lighter and I'm having to turn the wheel alot more when turning. Addtionally, I when I hit a camber in the road the car would veer off in that direction. So all in all it didn't feel great to drive!!

Last month, I had it serviced and asked them to look at the steering. The guy mentioned that the SLine has additional alignment something called the Sline curve?!! He made some alerations fee of charge and it seems to stop the car veering off.

Questions:

Do tyres have anything to do with the ride? I naively put on two Falkons on the front, which i thought were good tyres, but in fact are budget! Before i had Eagles F1 and the ride was great.

Any ideas of what could be causing the problem with the excess steering problem and firmer ride?

Thanks for your help,

Carl

Hi and welcome i think i would be looking at the suspension arm's at first then have the car's alignment checked (not lazer tracking) .. How long has the car been lowered.?
is your car front wheel drive only. Falkon are a fine tyre (snap) wITH MOST S-LINE AUDI'S the ride is firm as standard and when adding an after market setup this some time's make's the ride even harder, are you running coilover's or just lowering spring with the standard S-Line shock's..

thanks alot for your comments. I brought the car last year and don't know when it was lowered (i didn't do it). I will look back through the docs and receipts tonight. When I brought it the ride felt fine, although firm. Now it feels like a frckin race car. When I drive out into the sticks it is soo bumpy, you hit a bump and it's bang! t's horrible. I don't think I'm being paranoid, having to turn the steering wheel alot more surely inidcates a problem?

Hi Carl
Has is been lowered after it left the factory?
As the Sline is lower than stranded, the race car ride is normal is it sound like my car, the wife hates it, and will not let me buy another car with sports suspension:crying:, good as am keeping this car for a very long time :racer:

Hi AU01 A4,

I don't think so, but couldn't be sure need to check docs. Does your steering feel light? If I make a small turn I seem to be turning the wheel alot more, plus there is play.

I do love the car, but feel like something isn't quite right.

there is no play in the streetring at all, sight input and it will start to turn, where are you based?
has the feel of the car changed over the time you had it?

Based in Reading. You've hit the nail on the head dude, the feel of the car has changed. I think it's due to the steering issue. It feels way too light. Note sure if it's because I had falken tyres fitted, when before had Eagle F1's which handled superbly.

I would still get 4 wheel geometry checked, as it will highlight any suspension damage, if you had been closer I would have give take you out in my to compare, sorry i cant be any more help
have you check the tyre pressure if it to high it will give you a firmer ride, 18" or 19" wheels

It could just be your tyre as the are the only thing incontact with the road

Last edited:
19" wheel's will give a firm ride but not as bad as Chiplegend's .. Is the car runnning factory S-Line shock's. Also check to see if one of the coil's has broken on the lowering spring's..Jack up the front of the car take the load of the front sring's/suspension ,whip of the wheel's and have a good look at the sping's and all the moving part's of the suspension aswell as the bushes..