High mileage S4s

BillTheButcher

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm looking at B6 S4s and there are a fair few around with about 70-80k on the clock for near enough £10k (which would make them almost a direct swap for my Mk4 R32). As long as it's got a full service history and the leaking radiator and chain tensioner problems have been addressed is it a good idea to look at S4s with that many miles or should I pay the extra few grand for one with 40-50k on it?

Cheers.
biggrin.gif

You answered your own question mate, aslong as its been well maintained and kept to a service shedule then you'll be fine. Sounds like you know what to look for so Goodluck.....and dont forget to get some pics up when you got it.

....oh and an R32 I see, I love the Roar on them, just wait till you get the S4, Its even better!!!!

Nah shouldnt worry as I had one, an avant, with 126k on it & it ran fine, albeit power didnt impress but was a lovely car to drive overall.

You answered your own question mate, aslong as its been well maintained and kept to a service shedule then you'll be fine. Sounds like you know what to look for so Goodluck.....and dont forget to get some pics up when you got it.
Thanks. :icon_thumright:

I've only recently started looking at S4s and those two problems (radiator and chain tensioners) are what I've picked up as common weak points from reading this and other forums.

J7USS said:
....oh and an R32 I see, I love the Roar on them, just wait till you get the S4, Its even better!!!!
Yes I love my R32 :p but I feel like I need a V8 in my life.

Nah shouldnt worry as I had one, an avant, with 126k on it & it ran fine, albeit power didnt impress but was a lovely car to drive overall.
This has been worrying me a bit. My only complaint about the R32 is that it could do with more grunt. ~235 BHP for such a heavy car isn't that much so I was hoping that ~340 from the S4 would feel quite a bit quicker. I know the S4 is a fair bit heavier but it's also 100 BHP up on my R.

When you say you weren't impressed by the power do you mean that it didn't feel like it had 340 BHP?

No mate, I meant it didnt feel like it had 365 with a map, lol, listen it was truly a lovely car, but power wise it didnt feel like the title would suggest, I had an S3 at the same time & that was bliss to get back into sometimes, but different cars mate, go test drive the S4 1st before buying, dont just stump up for the car then be let down, also to upgrade the power on the S4 would cost a whack given engine design, so if its not that great now think about the thousands needed to get it to be nice, I'd look at an S3 8P if you wanted some fun & highly tunable & serious grunt even with a map, 310 just with the map & 4wd.

Cheers. :)

I don't ever modify my cars, it's just not my thing, so I'd be looking for something that I was happy with as is.

Obviously there'll be extensive test drives before I even think about buying anything. :)

I've considered the S3 but I don't want to go back to 4 pots after owning the R32. The next car will need at least 6 cylinders but preferably 8.

Maybe I can suggest you at least test the S3 8P before making a decision or asking a forum member with a mapped one, afterall you specifically said you wanted grunt mate & as much as you dont modify & want an NA car by the looks of it, they have some serious grunt, lol, I know a few people with some nice S3's probably willing to take you out dependent on area you're in, anyway food for thought, still the S4 was a lovely car, just power wise I wasnt that impressed, think its the weight that did it, good luck & update us when you choose.