Knock/clunk noise over bump,think it's the o/s rack end??

millwrx

Reaction score
hi i have a 51plate 2ltr petrol avant,has 168000 on the clock and drives like new,the only thing it has is a knock from the o/s/f when i hit a bump in the road,have jacked it up,no play in any of the suspension joints etc,i can get the knock if i grab the wheel and really work the rack from left to right and a slight bit of play,are the ends of the rack replaceable as i have been told they are,had a quick look on ebay and have found some rack inner tie ends??anyone else had this???
cheers

can be your track rod ends or ball joint i hand a knocking and it was both of them.
im told knocking is very common on audis

:banghead:I'm having the same problem 52 reg A4 170K clock, Mine has jut got more noticeable after installing an FK AK Suspension Coilover Kit - Firmer suspension - hence the knocking has become more noticable and is drivin me nuts.

This is what I have done to date : (after installing coilovers)
Changed both upper arms, drop links & anti-roll bar bushes, took out both lower arms inspected bushes & ball joints, Changed Tie rods ends , inner tie rod ends fine, done this for both sides. The clunking is only getting worse, I am now thinking it the steering rack - Going to try the steering gear adjustment as described in the haynes manual on the steering gear, then the next step is to take out the steering rack and see where it goes from there- cost me enough £££'s already - no point stopping now.

Anyone got any ideas before I end up having to re- mortgage my house!!!!

Signed :

Desperate :banghead:

got the same fault exactly on my 1.9tdi avant with 93k on the clock.gave it to a friend of mine to service(he's a fully qualified audi master technician) and he could find no play in any of the steering/suspension joints but the noise is still there over bumpy ground.hope you guys find the cure since this is annoying me also.

Top mounts more than likely. They tend to show themselves after lowereing due to incresed load on the suspension

can be your track rod ends or ball joint i hand a knocking and it was both of them.
im told knocking is very common on audis
Who told you that mate , non of my audis have ever been clunky they have always gone down the road really nice and quite suspension wise even back as far as my 1974 audi 100GL
:)

Im having the same issue 2002 A4 tdi130 avant 120k. Replaced all worn steering arms, drop links, tightened all subframe mount bolts, taken brakes apart and rebuilt, had 2 audi technicians look over it. Still getting a knocking from the OSF..driving me mad, even thought about getting rid because of this problem and the inevitable DMF problem im expecting.

Toying with the idea of changing out the engine mounts and maybe the struts, but i suspect its something more sinister...****** over complicated design!
Ive only heard of this problem on TDI versions :uhm:

*edit* A4 B6 top mounts have no bearings to wear out

Last edited:
Who told you that mate , non of my audis have ever been clunky they have always gone down the road really nice and quite suspension wise even back as far as my 1974 audi 100GL

iv heard it from more than one garage mate

Bearings do not wear out, but the rubber can degrade and casue too much movement over bumps etc

But the rubber is under compression from the considerable mass of the car. I questioned this myself to a couple of very experienced VAG guys, they had never heard of top mounts causing problems.
Have you ever cured a knocking problem by changing the mounts?

i'd love to know the answer to this too..... 02, 2.5 tdi 117K miles and mines got the same knock as described aove

Found a leaking shock absorber..changed with Bilstein B4's from euro car parts @ £48 ea..problem solved car is now peachy V happy especially as noone i spoke to said it could be the shock as theyre not prone to breaking...found that the car has already had replacement OEM shocks..2 sets of shocks in 100k miles..heavy beast!