Sorry I'm annoying...

Looks a nice example, and has RNSe too - shame it's not leather but maybe thats just me...

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty certain thats not an S-Line, just a Sport. I wouldn't let that put you off though, it's as good as!

Its the last of the 190bhp Sports before they changed over to the Sline hence why its only got a couple of Sline touches.
Looks very clean and straight though.lovely example...

"S-Line" came along well after 2003, at that time it was "Sport" with the option to add GmBH body styling at the factory.
Prior to that the only Audi dealer body styling available was the Votex, "stick over" body kit.

When I got interested in buying an A4 May~June 2003, the GmBH factory option was just becoming available on the Sport which was ~ £1,700 extra for the extra body styling, including deeper Front & Rear colour coded bumpers, colour coded door blades (not flat ones), colour coded lowers, and boot lip spoiler on the saloon or Avant equivalent above the glass.

Note this example has flat door blades and after looking at a rear picture in Photoshop, (and adjusting various pixel levels), it has a standard rear bumper valance which is not GmBH.

Still looks a damn good fine example!

why you looking at the 1.8t when you state you want the 3.0! unless you want the most tuneable engine there is, nice example! advertised as s-line its not, but sport is almost there. 190 def better than 163 but ask if the wheels are repos what make of tyres?

Cause I planned not to do anythin to the engine but I know my tunin bug will come back.

What you think bout price? Parkers says it's over priced.

Not worries bout leather. Front seats will be out as want same recaro I had In my integra (still most comfortable/supporting seats I've sat in!

Thanks for all your input guys

Hi, it is very nice, hasen't got sat-nav though it says that is avalible, the guy you are going to view this from is well connected with the guys at portsmouth audi ( if it's still Murry ), he supplied mine, say hi to him from me,
Cheers
Matt

Hi, it is very nice, hasen't got sat-nav though it says that is avalible, the guy you are going to view this from is well connected with the guys at portsmouth audi ( if it's still Murry ), he supplied mine, say hi to him from me,
Cheers
Matt

Think they must be able to install it for you at a cost. How is he? What's he like with haggling?

My mistake on the RNSe sorry - must learn to speed read .....

Price wise id say if you willing to pay that then hold off and buy a "proper" sline like THIS for example...and yes Id say it is over priced.That was the first thing I thought when I clicked the Link.

... but If that is the one you want to go for then get him to throw in the RNSe, haggle with the guy on the price and if he dont want to budge then walk away, get yourself an Sline that will come with the added touches...

Think they must be able to install it for you at a cost. How is he? What's he like with haggling?

He is a nice bloke and the car should be a good one, he wouldn't budge on the price of mine but did do a couple of little cosmetic jobs on it for me,as i say he knows the guys at portsmouth audi and also a very good painter, my front and rear valances,door blades and roof spoiler were done by his contact, oh and also when i had an encounter with suicidal babie!!, i have never seen such a good colour match.All in all he is a man you can talk to and he does know his audi's i think that's all he deals in.

Good luck, keep us updated,
Matt

That "proper s-line" does look a decent buy, i must get some of those wheels!!

Last edited:
Price wise id say if you willing to pay that then hold off and buy a "proper" sline like THIS for example...and yes Id say it is over priced.That was the first thing I thought when I clicked the Link.

... but If that is the one you want to go for then get him to throw in the RNSe, haggle with the guy on the price and if he dont want to budge then walk away, get yourself an Sline that will come with the added touches...

On my phone at the mo and it won't let me look. Will check it in bit on comp (watching transporter 3)

I HATE dealer-speak!!

It's a tough one... since it is a very nice looking car, but once you start thinking about it, it's a no-brainer ("NO") unless he seriously changes that asking price!!

It's 10% over avg mileage (not a prob), but it's also 20% over avg price (even for dealer-prices, they should be <£7k and he's asking nearly £8700!)... so not sure it's a good deal: for that kind of money you'll get either an avg spec 2004 genuine S-Line spec OR a 2003 model with a few expensive extra (e.g. sunroof, leather trim and an actual Audi satnav, not just the mention of one!).

PARKERS LINK to 53 plate 1.8T Sport

If the price hasn't put you off completely: here's the reasons you should be able to beat him down a lot: probably £7k is reasonable...

1) that "average" is based on average extras, so should have a few more things than an arm rest and a parking aid... so needs to be above avg spec before you even above avg price: just remember, you could be looking at a fully loaded (inc Sat Nav, leather, genuine bose) average mileage version of that car for £7k on a private sale.

2) "child friendly" seat belts are NOT the same as ISOfix blocks - if it's not got the front-airbag disabler on the side of the glove-box then it's NOT got the child-pack.

2) RNS-E just mentioned, is NOT included - they're £350-£500 to buy and can be bought, fully fitted for £600-£900 depending where you are in the country and who you want to fit it - even if he offer to fit it for free, that's still at least £1200 over priced!

3) Those alloys are RS4 "style" replicas, NOT actual Audi RS4 wheels... some of those reps are actually cheaper (inc tyres) than he could have sold the genuine Audi Sport alloys for 2nd hand t (especially if the originals are 18" optionals), so can be used as a cheap way for a dealer to replace the tyres: if he says he thinks they are real (and adding value), then point out that if they were genuine RS4, then the wheels would be sticking out so far they would be iillegal... hence why the RS4 has the wide bodykit!

4) be careful of the stereo: he's mentioned the sub, but avoided actually saying "Bose", so i'm guessing that's also retro-fitted. Concert is the bottom spec CD... Symhpony is the next step up with the multi-CD loader in the front and then the Sat Nav versions...

5) definitely NOT S-Line or even full S-Line "styling"... might not even be a Sport given he's changed the suspension himself, but since it has the three-spoke wheel and assuming it is sports seats, it probably a least a Sport, but should say so on the V5C in the model name. The front lower splitter is definitely retro-fitted and not by a dealer: if it was, then it should also have the door-blades, slightly larger rear spoiler, rear lower body-kit, etc if it was a genuine Audi- fitted S-Line or even a late-model "Sport" bodykit. Being picky now, but since there's >£300 cost difference in fitting, it's worth picking holes in what he's asking: I think they've used the original top bumper too, rather than the one that matches the lower one properly: in short, it's it's missing nearly well over £1000 in parts + spraying and fitting to get it to look like a proper S-Line...

Assuming it's a decent car once you get a closer look, then probably look to pay £7k, £7500 if he puts a proper RNS-E in it... and you'd still be pushing the average up...

RE those other links: remember you will pay a premium for Quattro (£500-£1200, depending on age) ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for that post lostbok. You know your stuff! I just fell for the looks I think but after researching think your all right. Going to look at the higher mileage on first as alot closer to me (1k cheaper, full s-line) and see how it is with servicing etc.

Wish me luck, will let you know later what happens...

Cheers again

I don't know about "knowing".... I'm really just "remembering and recycling" what I learnt (90% from this forum!).... so stick around ;)

I don't blame you for falling for the looks: S-Line'd B6 with RS4 reps is a pretty car... at least I realised what I was buying (and knew I'd have the budget a year down the line to get the S-Line kit)... but it'll never be a proper S-Line... although mine has probably cost me nearly £8k in totoal now, a 1.8T 190 S-Line Quattro is a real gem and probably what I'd go for given the chance again with everything I've spent sat in my pocket at the same time and the genuine S-Lines were a LONG way away from what I had available at the time...

No probs on the advice - as much as I'm not gonna bash down the price of 2nd hand A4's (I own one, so quite the opposite), but I don't like to see 2nd hand car dealers ripping people off with a few choice words ("RNS-E available") and minor costmetic mods (an OEM front S-Line skirt + eBay grills is about £110!)... and then trying to rebadge (and price) it as an S-Line... that said, some dealer offered me £6k for mine several thousand miles and one S-Line bodykit after I paid £4500 for it, so it can work both ways!

Remember that "high mileage" link you send isn't a quattro, so 190bhp through the fronts can be a bit fun: "lively" is the word most often used... it's lighter than the quattro, but you'll struggle getting the power down... worth driving both though since it is a bit more nimble: also, based on their description, that car is 100% standard S-Line spec (half-leather, sports seats, sports steering wheel, etc... everything else is pretty much standard Audi A4!).. he's asking a bit under book price for a car that's nearly 100% over avg mileage for a 2004(04).... don't be scared of a 100k mile 1.8T, provided it's been serviced and looked after well and had all the key maintenance doen at the right time, it'll be fine.... just price it accordingly....

Last edited:
Had a 220bhp FF car before and from a standin start wd hard to get power down but fine once on the move. Though it had a LSD...

Is the 1.8T 190 better in the quattro you think? I'm not interested in racing away from lights. More of a b road kinda person

To be entirely objective, it's a tough call and entirely down to personal preference.

For me, there was never really any doubt... before I'd even settled on the B6 A4, I drove a few random cars (mostly E46's and Audi's... although only two A4 B6's - a 1.8T 163bhp and a 1.9TDI quattro) and I decided that I love the quattro traction, neutral balance on the limit (especially with RS4 RARB!) and maybe because of teh threat of snow and ice and possibly 'cos there's a VERY short onramp onto a 50mph dual carriageway that I have to pull out onto virtually every time I leave the house... slightest drizzle and the onramp is in standing water, so traction is a real issue! My old Golf with no traction control and high lift cams was still spinning up at 50mph in the wet... anyway, I digress...

As much as there is to be said FOR quattro, less traction can be more fun... only FWD A4 B6 I've driven is the 163bhp fwd, so the V6 TDI Quattro I went for in the end is a LOT heavier (as was my friend's 1.9TDI)... but I actually like the "planted", slightly tighter feel to what the back of the car is doing.
Even between identical spec cars, the FWD is 100kg lighter than it's equivalent quattro, so if you're on a clean, dry road, the NON-quattro is actually faster on the 0-60, traffic light grand-prix, etc...

And the minus on the quattro is the fuel economy takes a bit of a hit: for the 1.8T, I'd guess it's probably something like 32mpg avg vs 36mpg (1.8T guys, feel free to step it here!).

Sorry - bit of a rush, so all a bit jumbled, but I think you get the point: I know which side of the fence I'm on... and I'd 100% do the same for the next car*.... but I've sat firmly on the fence in terms to "telling" people which car is best for them... my dad's jsut bought an A6... and as much as I tried to nudge him towards the 3.0TDI/2.7TDi Quattro's, I knew that with the way he drives and the mileage he does, the 2.0TDI was the obvious choice.

*a few years off yet... but the new company car-scheme just doublde the price of the Audi's and nearly halved the cost of the (previously overpriced) Bimmers! 2.0TDI FWD A4 is now slightly more than the 335d... or maybe I should just get the 135i cabriolet "for the missus" and keep the A4 :)

Well... Eventful day but made me realise the car I want...

Originally I really wanted a B5 S4 but got put off having a loan on an old car. Done about 50 miles to view car and thought to myself "this isn't the car I REALLY want".

So we turned round and went home. Now on the hunt for a nogaro B5 S4 avant...

...haha a trip well worth doing then!

Missis didnt find it funny... "What a waste of a day"

Least I wont turn round in few months time and wish I got the S4.
Sorry for the hassle you lot, you've been real helpful.

Top forum :thumbsup:

No probs, thats what we are here for...
let us see you s4 when you get it