What is the drive split on my A4 2.5tdi v6 180bhp

johnswales

Reaction score
whats the drive split on my 2.5tdi v6 180bhp a4 is it even,more to the rear or more to the front ?

I think it's 50:50 with the ability to vary up to 65 or maybe 70% to front or rear depending on conditions.

yep - mechanical Torsen quattro systems (i.e. the A4's) default to 50:50... but I though the max-torque bias was 80:20 in either direction :)

I think the B7's are the same except for the RS4 which is 40:60 (front:rear) to start...

but I though the max-torque bias was 80:20 in either direction :)

If memory serves correctly, that applies to the Generation 5 quattro system with Torsen 3 diff as fitted to the B7 RS4 and S4, as opposed to the T2 Gen 4 systems fitted to the B6 range.

EDIT:

This is from Wikipedia, which I know has it's limitations:

quattro generation IV

Starting from 1996 on Audi A4 / S4 / RS4 (B5 platform), Audi A6 / S6 / allroad / RS6, Audi A8 / S8 with both manual and automatic transmissions. Also on VW Passat B5, where it was initially referred to as syncro, but by the time it reached US soil, it had been re-christened 4motion. Also used on the Volkswagen Phaeton and Volkswagen Group D platform sister vehicles; also the Volkswagen Touareg where they use separate transmissions, PTUs and front axles.
The manually locking rear differential from the earlier generations was replaced with a conventional open differential, with "Electronic Differential Lock" (EDL) (which detects wheelspin via ABS road wheel speed sensors, and applies brakes to the one spinning wheel, thus transferring torque via open differential to the opposite wheel which has more traction). EDL works at speeds up to 80 km/h (50 mph) on all quattro models (on non-quattro models: up to 40 km/h (25 mph).
System type: Permanent four-wheel drive.
Torsen T-2 centre differential, 50:50 'default' split, automatically apportioning up to 67% of torque transfer to either front or rear axle.
Open rear differential, Electronic Differential Lock (EDL).[4]
Open front differential, Electronic Differential Lock (EDL).[4]

quattro generation V

Starting from 2006 on B7 Audi RS4 and the manual transmission version of the 2007 B7 Audi S4. It was adopted in the entire S4 lineup in 2008. [1] Will become the standard fitment on all future quattro Audis with longitudinal engine layout.
System type: Permanent asymmetric four-wheel drive.
Torsen T-3 centre differential, 40:60 'default' split front-rear, automatically apportioning up to 80% of torque transfer to the front axle or up to 100% torque to the rear axle.
Open rear differential, Electronic Differential Lock (EDL).[4]
Open front differential, Electronic Differential Lock (EDL).[4]

Last edited:
If memory serves correctly, that applies to the Generation 5 quattro system with Torsen 3 diff as fitted to the B7 RS4 and S4, as opposed to the T2 Gen 4 systems fitted to the B6 range.

EDIT:

This is from Wikipedia, which I know has it's limitations:

erm... yep.... soemthing like that :icon_thumright: