Can Anyone Explain the Heating/Cooling System?!?

cobraBLACK

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!
Reaction score
I've looked through the manual and Audi seem reticent to use the phrase air conditioning - does the demist button that does the windscreen use a/c (I've been driving around with it on most of the time)?

The manual says the system works in 'Auto' mode (which I assume is a/c) or 'Econ' mode (no a/c) and pressing either of the buttons toggles the functions on and off. However, the Econ light is always on (even when Auto is on) and pressing the Econ button doesn't cancel it as the light stays on.

Any ideas?

It shouldn't do that mate .....

If the ECON light stays on permanently it means there is low pressure in the aircon system, it may be that it just needs a gas recharge, or it could be a fault in the system.

It shouldn't do that mate .....

If the ECON light stays on permanently it means there is low pressure in the aircon system, it may be that it just needs a gas recharge, or it could be a fault in the system.

Oh dear.

Will that show up as a fault code?

If there is a fault then it 'should' do yes, if it's just low on refrigerant then I expect it will just show up as low pressure. Any aircon service centre should be able to check the pressure level for you. If it's just low then a recharge is only £50 ish.

When you press the windscreen demist button the aircon will come on (if it was off - and assuming it's working - you can confirm this with a working setup by the ECON light going out when you press the demist button). Does air actually come out of the vents on top of the dash?

If not then the probable cause is the motor that controls the flaps behind the dash - these can get sticky over time, or even fail. THIS thread will help you out if that's your problem. The car won't demist too well if the aircon's not working anyway, so hopefully that is all your problem is!

There is an aircon specific forum further down which you might want to have a read through.

The windscreen demist button does work - it doesn't feel like that much air is coming from the top but it has been the best way to demist (which is why I suspected it used a/c).

It's hard to tell how well the a/c's working when it's not summer. I'm not too fussed until the weather does get warmer but I wanted to be sure I wasn't driving around with a/c on unnecessarily.

Thanks.

probably worth getting it regassed anyway mystic, the refridgerant used inclides anti bacterial agents (to stop it smelling) but, more importantly, lubricants that keep all of the seals supple. Its best not to let ac systems get low/no gas as it will just cause you more problems long term.

I don't know if it's a coincidence but, since I stopped using a/c all the time, there's a funny smell in the cabin; a kind of fuel smell.

I'm not sure if it is fuel but it's got that 'tang'.

Is this something anyone else has experienced?

Chances are if you have run out of a gas you have a leak anyway, there is a way of working out how much gas is lost due to pressure seals expanding and relaxing but the amount of gas you should lose is pretty low, i would imagine you have a very slight leak like most 3+ yr old air con systems and a simple regas will get you on your feet, our cars don't really come with your standard aircon system although once in LOW mode you are just like any other standard system, I would keep the aircon on as much as you can, you might save £3 every fill up but you will have endless problems with siezing and other niggly faults.

My main gripe about the B6 climate is the fact it only goes down to 18c, on the B7 I think it goes down to 16c which makes more sense as I find 18c too hot :(

I've not had a chance to see what the a/c does in hot weather yet.

The S4s go down to 16 deg. and then 'lo'. I assumed this would just throw out unregulated air at the minimum temperature the system could manager (and similar for 'hi').

I think the later B6's also go down to 16C.

B6 aircon is pretty inefficient as a rule, it will blow cold air if you have it on LO, but unless you take of AUTO the fan just blows hard all the time. Rather defeats the purpose of AUTO...

Do you find 18c too hot, my old b5 climate was much better, if I put it on 18c on auto it's not too bad but on manual it just gets too hot in the cabin

I have it set at 18 deg. in this weather and it's fine (and I feel the warmth!).

My last car didn't have climate control and the heater position seemed to blow a different temperature every time I used it.