S4 door blade colour poll.

What colour should I do my door blades?

• Satin Matt Black to match the dechromed grille.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Bodycolour (Dolphin Grey)

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • Avus Silver like the mirrors and wheels.

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
Following the recent S4 door blade purchase I had a trial fit today, and they look good (for blue!) but I need to decide what colour to do them. I think I've got three options:

• Satin black: would match the dechromed grille's and front rings, and make a feature of them. Disadvantage being that from the side the car doesn't currently have any black features, although I will dechrome the window trims at some time.
  • Bodycolour (Dolphin Grey): would be a bit more discrete, but still help the car look more aggressive. Disadvantage being that it might be hard to get a good colour match, and my lowers are the standard grey which is close to Dolphin Grey but not an exact match, so I would be introducing another colour.
  • Avus silver: would go with the mirrors and wheels. Disadvantage being that I may change the wheels to anthracite at some time!
Richardesty kindly did some photoshops for me below, so I'd appreciate your opinions. feel free to come up with some other ideas, or post pics of cars with blades which may help me make my mind up!

The car will be being lowered at some time (someone always says it!) - I'm keeping the silver mirrors and dechromed grille, the door rings I like but can go if needs be, and I'm (seriously) considering doing the wheels anthracite this summer. The only other mod will be replacing the lower grille with the larger S4 one, but I don't think that will affect the blade colour.

I have my thoughts but I'm keeping them quiet for now ;)

S4BladesBlack.jpg

S4BladesGrey.jpg

S4BladesSilver.jpg

My preferance would be to try and match the grey lowers...but as you said is likley introduce a 3rd color. so body code all the lowers and blades

I would avoid the silver....could only lead to more allroad comments....:undwech:

Last edited:
Go for the same colour as the car mate!

Same colour as the car mate definately! When you fitted the splitter how many screws did you use? and there isnt any airbag sensor i could accidently screw into lol:D i got some stainless steel screws !

Cheers for the opinions guys :hi:

Henri, I've replied to your other thread to try and keep this on topic :icon_thumright:

Hmmm...tough one James...not sure whether just doing the blades is going to look like you've got them off another car and just stuck them on? If you were going to do the whole lower (sides and f/r bumpers) i think i'd go satin black, but I think if it were me I would be having them done the same as the car. As for the rest you mentioned, lowering - yes, anthracite wheels - no

HTH

About time I witnessed some filth on your motor James.

Right then.... The 2 id be going for is either the Black or colour coded. Personally I wouldnt go with the silver due to the Allroad look but its your ride mate.

...Black as you are going for the Darker wheels (which will look mean by the way)

Greyavant.jpg

....and the colour coded blades which will also look perfect...(after you have coded the bottoms)

Greyavant3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm trying to avoid colour coding really, purely because it makes the simple door blade job turn into quite a big project. With the blades fitted I could just colour code the sides for now and do the front/rear later I suppose. Would also solve my rear valance dilemma ...... I can't justify get it done professionally, and my concern is that the front or rear would look crap done myself.....

Silver is out, it was just an off the top of the head idea which looked ok till I saw it in practice!

I am so 50/50 on the wheels - in one respect I think the silver of the mirrors, roofbars and the wheels compliments itself so well, in the other respect I see this:

RS6Darkwheels.jpg

Following the recent S4 door blade purchase I had a trial fit today, and they look good (for blue!) but I need to decide what colour to do them. I think I've got three options:

• Satin black: would match the dechromed grille's and front rings, and make a feature of them. Disadvantage being that from the side the car doesn't currently have any black features, although I will dechrome the window trims at some time.
  • Bodycolour (Dolphin Grey): would be a bit more discrete, but still help the car look more aggressive. Disadvantage being that it might be hard to get a good colour match, and my lowers are the standard grey which is close to Dolphin Grey but not an exact match, so I would be introducing another colour.
  • Avus silver: would go with the mirrors and wheels. Disadvantage being that I may change the wheels to anthracite at some time!
Richardesty kindly did some photoshops for me below, so I'd appreciate your opinions. feel free to come up with some other ideas, or post pics of cars with blades which may help me make my mind up!

The car will be being lowered at some time (someone always says it!) - I'm keeping the silver mirrors and dechromed grille, the door rings I like but can go if needs be, and I'm (seriously) considering doing the wheels anthracite this summer. The only other mod will be replacing the lower grille with the larger S4 one, but I don't think that will affect the blade colour.

I have my thoughts but I'm keeping them quiet for now ;)

S4BladesBlack.jpg

S4BladesGrey.jpg

S4BladesSilver.jpg

Hi james, as you car sits now i would go silver to match the roof rails.

Same colour as the car mate definately! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto - definately ! Rationale is they then look stock....not like some aftermarket (dare I say it Halfrauds bolt on extra :no:)

Last edited:
I reckon you should not have them on the car at al :noway:l, they would look better on my silver motor - No seriously I think satin black looks the part, also you said that you want the car to look more aggressive (sporting) and an offset colour creates that look, although colour coding it would work. They definately look more distinctive compared to the S-Line version.

I would do them satin black. The S4's come with Black with coded cills. If u don't like the black then colour code them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm.. Are you going to fit S4 lower grill to your original bumper low, not s-line?

I'm not going to fit an S-Line front no, I 'may' in time fit an S4 front bumper as I prefer them to the S-Lines.

I started reading this thinking "Avus" before I saw the pics.... now I think "coded" (Dolphin grey).... otherwise....

roverstreetwise-1627685627u_0x.jpg

I'm not going to fit an S-Line front no, I 'may' in time fit an S4 front bumper as I prefer them to the S-Lines.

Okay!
I just wondering if you have same issue than i have...
My mission is to fit S4 lower grill to s-line bumper, little mods ahead i guess..
Nice looking car you have! :)

Okay!
I just wondering if you have same issue than i have...
My mission is to fit S4 lower grill to s-line bumper, little mods ahead i guess..
Nice looking car you have! :)

I've never seen an S4 grille in an S-Line lower, that sounds interesting! The S4 grille into a standard lower requires some bumper trimming, but gives quite a nice personalised look ;)

I'm just looking for that grille ....

I'm still on the colour coded band wagon......

Here's another mock up angle - where I've also highlighted how the lines compliment other 'contrast' body lines nearby:

1-5.jpg

2-2.jpg

i think they would look good stripped back to unpainted bare plastic the same as they come standard on the S4, they will match your unpainted lowers and then you can either paint them or leave them unpainted if you colour code the lowers.

when i fitted my kit i had the door blades painted but now wished i had left them unpainted to make more of a statement.

heres the unpainted S4 blades

800px-Audis4b6.jpg

1375697-6.jpg

Last edited:
I would do them satin black. The S4's come with Black with coded cills. If u don't like the black then colour code them..

Are they actually black, or unpainted do you know?

i think they would look good stripped back to unpainted bare plastic the same as they come standard on the S4, they will match your unpainted lowers and then you can either paint them or leave them unpainted if you colour code the lowers.

Yes I could do this, I wouldn't know the easiest way of stripping the paint off without damaging the blades though. Not really my forte'....

I'm still on the colour coded band wagon......

Here's another mock up angle - where I've also highlighted how the lines compliment other 'contrast' body lines nearby:

Thanks for that Rich, that does look very good, and keeps my options open for the future.

thats what I'm talkin 'bout, that looks the muts! :)

regards to stripping the paint from the blades, I've been told DOT3 brake fluid will do the job and not damage the plastic but haven't tried it so I would try a small drop on the old door mouldings to see if it does do any damage before hand.....in fact I might even try to strip my door blades if I can pluck up the courage!!!

Last edited:
Unpainted then if you can get them back to original condition. :icon_thumright:

Colour match to the car, or hold on until you do your wheels and colour match the blades to the wheels

This weekend I am going to cover the blades in the 50mm black electrical tape I initially used to dechrome my grilles to see how they look. Wil post pics for opinions ;)

QJ.Im surprised your have doubts....its a no brainer....body colour all the way!!

QJ.Im surprised your have doubts....its a no brainer....body colour all the way!!

Well i think that - but then sometimes I see a car with contrasting door blades and they look the business .....

Plus, I dont have any Dolphin Grey tape .... lol

Well I put some black tape over the blades and fitted them today, they don't look bad from a distance!

The tape matches the grey lowers very well, and it's quite hard to tell exactly what colour they are! In honesty I don't think it matters hugely whether I do them black or grey! The tape isn't as black as satin paint would be in fairness. I was worried about introducing another colour with doing them black, but what I realised today was that in some respects I have that anyway with the black splitter on the grey front lower.

Here are some pics, I value your thoughts as ever.

S4Blades009.jpg

S4Blades010.jpg

S4Blades011.jpg

James, on reflection and now seeing some options i would personaly go with the colour that best matches the lowers as when you see the car from the side with the doors closed it all looks in place because of the line of the bottom of the doors,i had mine colour coded but that was to match the bottoms more than anything, i am gonna have the same dilema myself soon as i have a set of black roof rails on the way and i am hoping they will match my window surrounds and front grills better than the chrome,but i will have a wheel dilema it will be rs6 18's but what colour, but back to yours, in my hum ble opinion the pictures in the latest post look by far the best.

James, on reflection...........

........I'd have not shown photos that have reflexions of a Citroen C3 AND a Nissan Micra :noway:

I'm pleased to say I think the blades look so much better than the reflections - although I do think you should paint them when it gets a bit warmer.

Look sweet mate :hubbahubba:

They look quite alright james.keep them like that for now and when/if you get the lowers painted then colour code!

i had mine colour coded but that was to match the bottoms more than anything, i am gonna have the same dilema myself soon as i have a set of black roof rails on the way and i am hoping they will match my window surrounds

I didn't realise you had S4 blades too - any close up pics?

Are your window trims black at the moment?

........I'd have not shown photos that have reflexions of a Citroen C3 AND a Nissan Micra :noway:

The Micra has nowt to do with me, and the C3 is a great car, it's cost more to keep my A4 on the road than the purchase price of that.....

You're just jealous of my reflection ..... ;)

Last edited:
I didn't realise you had S4 blades too - any close up pics?

Are your window trims black at the moment?

Here is a few pics for you James, hope they show the door blades well enough and yes my window surrounds are black i must admit i thought all sport models had black surrounds but this seems not to be the case and to be honest i don't see that many that are.
These were taken before i fitted the vortex grill and de-chromed the lower grill, i will wait untill the roof bars are done and take some updated ones.
034.jpg

0342.jpg

036-1.jpg

037.jpg

Last edited: