Thermostat changed..the plot thickens, or does it?? Help needed.

Jason-Con

Reaction score
OK well this morning i got the thermostat changed on the A4 tdi 1.9. Now the guy that did the job changed the stat then left the car running , the temp gauge did not move from its original position. He then proceded to pull off the expansion tank hose where no water was coming out. Long and short of it was he told me it looks like the waterpump is done and needs changing as the top hose is cold. So i drive off not happy thinking ive just bought a dud car and just like magic the termp gauge reaches 90 and stays at 90. The top rad hose they said was cold due to the waterpump working is now warm as it should be and everything seems perfect.

• Now in the back of my mind im thinking i need a waterpump , but do i?
  • Have they dioginosed the problem correctly (bearing in mind i know these guys)?
  • Has the waterpump developed a intermittant fault ( but i was under the impression with it being belt driven it either works or not)
  • Could it be a airlock issue?

Last edited:
Sounds like you had an Air lock judging by what you said. You need to keep an eye on your water level. Have you had to top the water up since you got back??

Hi Jason, I'm no expert there, but can offer the following:

• Water pumps will not have intermittent faults, any failure normally manifests itself with the engine overheating when being worked hard.
  • Have you considered the temp. sensor?
  • If it's working fine now it sounds like it was probably an airlock, has the water level dropped in the header tank at all?
I would just run it carefully for a couple of days and keep an eye, hopefully it will be ok ;)

Last edited:
just wait and see how you get on with it mate if it does it again then worry. im not sure if
your pump can have a interminttan fault it works or dont. may have had an airlock as you say and just needed a run to
clear it have a look see if you need to top up the water if so airlock

i would and then run it then let it go cold and look again

hi mate how long did the guy at the garage run it for diesels warm up a lot slower than petrol engines and in this weather a diesel left ticking over will take an age to warm up also bare in mind that the temp gauge does not register until 60oc so i dont think there was ever a problem with the water pump or air lock it just needed driving to acheive 90 oc

hi mate how long did the guy at the garage run it for diesels warm up a lot slower than petrol engines and in this weather a diesel left ticking over will take an age to warm up also bare in mind that the temp gauge does not register until 60oc so i dont think there was ever a problem with the water pump or air lock it just needed driving to acheive 90 oc

The guy had it running for 30 mins, and the top hose was cold. the secont i take it out for a bit of a blast it went up to 90 and stayed there, I got the car home and checked the level and it was below the min...bearing in mind the garrage topped it upto max before i left i can only put it down to an airloc. But should the top hose get hot on tick over?

Bottom line is ive been driving it around town for 30 mins and the needle has stayed at 90. Does it look like im in the clear?

The guy had it running for 30 mins, and the top hose was cold. the secont i take it out for a bit of a blast it went up to 90 and stayed there, I got the car home and checked the level and it was below the min...bearing in mind the garrage topped it upto max before i left i can only put it down to an airloc. But should the top hose get hot on tick over?

Bottom line is ive been driving it around town for 30 mins and the needle has stayed at 90. Does it look like im in the clear?

I recently had my thermostat changed and I had an airlock as well (Leics Audi)

I left my car ticking for 45mins and the temp did not move. I spoke to my local mechanic and he squeezed the bottom pipe to remove the air lock after this I went for a long drive. The airlock was removed and the car now stays at 90.

I think there is nothing to worry about.

If it was the waterpump then it would have over heated.