Colour coding the grey bits.

Jason-Con

Reaction score
Im thinking of colourcoding the grey fits at the bottom of the bumpers on my 2002 A4, is this a done thing or should i upgrade the bumpers.

I know it may seem dumb but im new to the audi scene

People have sprayed them before, there's a thread here somewhere where the guy took them all off and did it.

Upgrading to S-Line or whatever bumpers is an option, albeit a more expensive one. What colour is your car?

Fontain do it... no price quoted any more, but it was £2500 previously, but that included things like the S-Line logo embossed door sills and the replica alloys... £1600-odd if you ditched the boot lip, reps and door sills. I went for the £1800 option (which includes boot lip, but no alloys and no door sills).

Couple of point to warn you about them though:

1) get high-res photo's all around the car: they put little scratch into the side of mine (looked pretty clearly like somebody had dropped something agains thte side of the car) and then denied all knowledge.

2) Just triple-check the part numbers that they're ordering: mine came back from them with the headlight washers removed and a 1.8T tailgate (mine has factory fitted Xenon's, with washers and is a TDI)... clearly the previous guy who got this done had a non-Xenon'd 1.8T and they'd just hit "repeat" on the order...

This is just my personal viewpoint on this ......

I think the standard front looks better unpainted on most models and colours. The bumpers aren't the best looking, but I think they work better if you make a feature out of them, rather than trying to colour code them. Colour coded I think they can look a bit old fashioned.

Whereas with the addition of some more aggressive grilles and a splitter the front can look better unpainted than painted, again depends on colour and personal opinions ;)

And I could never justify the cost of an S-Line conversion myself. If I had that much available to invest in the car, then I would bank it and save for another twelve months and upgrade the car. But that's perhaps just me...

I would bank it and save for another twelve months and upgrade the car. But that's perhaps just me...

Part of me really wishes I'd done that... don't get me wrong... I am really, really pleased with mine, but it'll never be a genuine S-Line....

Last edited:
My point illustrated, I know it's not Dolphin Grey, but you get the idea:

newbbswheels027.jpg

My point illustrated, I know it's not Dolphin Grey, but you get the idea:

Wow, that picture alone has convinced me to not colour code my bumpers, haha! I think it's time to 'persuade' the good lady wife to get lowering the car, and get some new wheels! Off to find the copious amounts of suspension threads i think!!!

Thanks for the picture!!

That looks really nice!! I am not usually a fan of the saloon's, but it does look good. Loving the wheels...what are they?

thats a nice **** end! just what i want :drool:

:scared2:

oh...you were talking about the car, i see! I must admit though, it does indeed look fit. And it looks like they've just got the standard rear grey lower bumper and chopped semi-circles into it. How hard can that be? Time to crack out the Dremel, haha.

Hi Jason,

I would say YES, go for it. I had a standard Audi A4 Sport which I paid £150 to have my local paint shop spray all my lowers and the door blades I bought off ebay. The result was stunning. I didn't change the lower sections to the S-line ones and to be honest - it didn't spoil the look at all..

01.jpg

im thinking of doing my car at some point . its the sports in cristal blue i think it will look better as its light and with a dark gray it
just is not right

lighter coloured cars NEED the colour coding... darker cars often look better with the grey lowers....

Dolphin Grey (i.e. QuattroJames') is almost invisible as it's only a shade different to the trim anyway... probably a waste of time, effort and money to colour code and you're just making a rod for your own back....

Mine is dolphin grey too, hence my hesitation. There are other things i'd rather spend my money on :D

i dont think id bother if my car was grey crazy88 like you say better things to spend your cash on. but like lostbok said on the lighter one its a must

I really think it's a personal thing and not that dependant on the colour of the car. Unless the car is dropped and with big wheels, I think colour coding a standard front can make it look a lot more 'dated' than the grey lowers do. I appreciate that the grey lowers can look 'bog standard' with some colours (and not just the lighter ones) - but it's easier to make them stand out than it is colour coded cars. To me at least.