Newbie need advice on mapping options

Jason-Con

Reaction score
Hello, You will see a bit of me as i just got my a4 tdi 130. Im looking at having a bit of fun with it and the first bit of spare cash i get is doing on a mapping session. Now what i want to know is what is a good output for the 130bhp tdi a4, oh and how much does it cost?

Chip'N'Spin seem like a good outfit and you'll have a chance to test drive your car afterwards so good if you have a mate along who can tell you if it's belching soot afterwards.... and then you can either revert to the orignal map or ask them to tweak the remap down to something slightly less agressive (and re-rolling road it, etc).

If you're after max bhp just through a remap, then 130TDI's usually remap to around 170-190bhp... the higher you are in that range the higher change of getting clouds of soot, althoguh some people can get away with it, don't go there expecting a completely soot-free 180+....

Also bear in mind that that power will arrive as one BIG torquey lump, so it's controllable in a quattro (e.g. Bilko), but not necessarilly advisable in a FWD, unless you want to burn out your TC warning light (or your front tyres).... there's a reason why Audi don't do any FWD TDI's over 170bhp, so that might be the sweet spot to aim for: 170bhp in a FWD 1.9TDI will make it feel quicker than any other B6 TDI (the V6 Quattro's have 177bhp out the factory, but are a LOT heavier):

approx weights are:
1.9TDi FWD 1400kg
1.9TDI Qtro 1500kg
2.5TDI Qtro 1600kg

Last edited:
Cheers, it seems 170 is what to aim for. My friend had a bora tdi sport which is standard at 150 bhp, i loved the drive of that. What ecomomy gains are possible?
Depends on the map but i'm getting an extra 4 mpg on mine.