DV - Is it wrong on a 1.9TDi Avant?

crazy88

Loving the anonymity
Reaction score
:shrug:

I am prepared to get flamed, but here goes, haha! I have always loved DV's...who doesn't in all honesty! I used to have a Peugeot 306, and always resisted a DV on that. However, the Audi is a fair bit cooler it's fair to say, but I still just don't quite know whether it cuts the mustard enough to justify a dump valve.

Opinions/ ideas/ slandering is all welcome. :p

Oh yeah, i did a search, but since the update this forum has about 8 posts in history, so the search button is pretty useless at the moment.

EDIT: Don't be hating on me...I think i'd rather spend the money on a remap. Maybe this thread should be left to die in the squalor of the deepest abyss?!

Last edited:
You can't fit dump valves on VAG diesels as they use variable vanes on the turbo. You can however get electronic ones, but don't even do there!!

Don't worry...it was a moment of madness. I did about 30 seconds of thinking and thought of all the other stuff i could so instead. It's far more important to lower my stilt-esque car I feel, as to me it currently looks like an allroad, lol!

Well I have to admit, the thought passed through my mind once! Then I realised that:

1 - My car, being diesel, sounds like a tractor
2 - The sound of a DV with a tractor soundtrack is probably going to be utterly crap
3 - They're quite expensive
4 - No performance gain if I did actually fit one

I think people would laugh if you fitted one because generally they get fitted by people who like to show off a bit - but that's just a personal opinion! (no offence to anyone on here that has one!)

A mate of mine had one on his Celica GT4, then removed it after about a month because the noise did his head in after a while. The best thing was driving past grannies, then booting it and dropping off the accelerator to make it as loud as possible - well you can imagine the results of a granny jumping about six feet in the air!!

Well I have to admit, the thought passed through my mind once! Then I realised that:

1 - My car, being diesel, sounds like a tractor
2 - The sound of a DV with a tractor soundtrack is probably going to be utterly crap
3 - They're quite expensive
4 - No performance gain if I did actually fit one

I think people would laugh if you fitted one because generally they get fitted by people who like to show off a bit - but that's just a personal opinion! (no offence to anyone on here that has one!)

A mate of mine had one on his Celica GT4, then removed it after about a month because the noise did his head in after a while. The best thing was driving past grannies, then booting it and dropping off the accelerator to make it as loud as possible - well you can imagine the results of a granny jumping about six feet in the air!!

Yeah, i'm very similar. No doubt one day i'll buy a silly car, such as a Skyline and then I can smile when it's on that. In the mean time...it's tractor all the way.

The best thing was driving past grannies, then booting it and dropping off the accelerator to make it as loud as possible - well you can imagine the results of a granny jumping about six feet in the air!!

Amen to that!! And to try and add abit to this, i'm not sure if its possible without spending quite abit more money to get a DV to work properly on a diesel because of the throttle system, not sure on the audi's I have to admit but fitted one to a petrol turbo'd beemer no issue, but as the diesel throttle system(diaphragm) differs on the beemer, in that in order for it to actually dump fully you have to totally let off the throttle, whereas with the petrol(butterfly)you can feather the throttle and it will dump whatever. Just a thought..........

There is no point at all fitting a Dump valve on a diesel of any make or model ,
Dvs are there to stop turbo stall which never happens on a diesel as they dont have a throttle flap blocking the air to the cylinders in off throttle situations so theres no chance of the turbo stalling
also because theres no throttle flap theres no vaccum created to operate the Dv thats why diesels have vac pumps for there servos and other control units
so all in all it would be a complete ball ache to fit a Dv if not near impossible and it would never really do anything usefull anyway
sorry :(