EM TuningAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

S4 engine rattle

Hi guys, i have an S4 V8,on old start up the engine rattles for about 2 seconds and then is ok for the rest of the day.its been to my local dealer and they have carried out a software update.had been ok for 6000 miles but has come back.any ideas.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Hi,

If you search through the forum you will find lots of threads on this, it seems to be a common problem and involves cam chain tensioners momentarily sticking until pumped up hydraulically.

General advice is to take it off long life oil changes and move to a more frequent oil change. Did you get an oil change at the same time as the software update? if you did it was more likely this that helped the problem than any changes to software

I think the jury is out on whether its terminal or not, the last thread from what I remember included lots of people like you and i that suffers the same symptoms but no one seemed to be in the category that ended up paying thousnads to have it fxed although it does happen by all accounts

Mine does it and although I try not to worry about it it is annoying for a car that initially cost so much and has only done 36k mileage, Audi should have addressed the problem thats for sure.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by heli_madken; 14th January 2010 at 12:51.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi,
    I bought a B6 S4 in november and have gone through the worrying process of diagnosing this problem.As heli_madken says the jury is out because although I got it diagnosed at a reputable audi tuning garage as a 'must fix' problem I couldnt foot a bill of circa 3k after parts and mostly labour.The way around it/to help ease the problem is to change from long life servicing,such a big engine should have oil changes more frequently,you wonder about car manufacturers thinking sometimes!Also next oil change you do run an engine flush through beforehand to clear any build ups.Apparently the inlet to the tensioner hydraulics gets bunged up and causes the initial noise.If possible make sure your garage uses actual castrol engine oil as I have been told by an ex audi mechanic even audi dealers charge for castrol but use a lesser brand to improve profit margins.One final,major point is to keep the engine oil topped up,these lumps need oil every 1/1.5K miles depending on driving habits and although i did the whole oil change process as outlined mid december,the tensioners have got noisy again.I dipped the oil yesterday,it could do with a top up.I am still going through this pain in the neck because you cant rest easy,especially when no one has a sure answer.I have taken out a full 'belt and braces' warranty to see me through the first year of ownership.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi guys,thanks so much for the info.will get it sorted, again many many thanks.