Another S4 Problem!!!!!!

Davidrogers190

Reaction score
Further to my thread of the alternator belt snapping, this has been fixed at a cost of 200 pound just to put a new belt on, there is now an alarming noise when I release the clutch and change from 1st to 2nd, its only right at the top when releasing the clutch and if you hold it right at the top when you change to 2nd you can really hear it. Once the engine is warm it gets better but you can still hear it. Someone said it may be the clutch bearing? Is this expensive, or has anyone got any other ideas on what it could be.
Thanks in advance
David

Hi David
Its always difficult to daignose from sounds, but IF it is the clutch release bearing, you will get a noise when the engine is started and its just idling in neutral, the noise a clutch release bearing makes is a whirring type noise (unless it collapses all together) , the easiest way to diagnose a release bearing is as follows, with the car started and in nuetral listen for a noise (i would say a whirring rumbling noise) then press the clutch pedal to the floor, by doing this ,the noise should decrease or go altogether. the noises you describe (in my opinion might be something different,possibly related to your clutch plate itself)is the biting point at the top? does the gear change smoothly in all gears inc reverse?

If it is the release bearing or clutch obviously its a gearbox out job and unless you can do this yourself, will be fairly costly, more in labour than parts.
obviously any noises coming from the gearbox/clutch is a concern but any car ive owned WITH a clutch release bearing on its way out, (although sometimes very noisy) has never failed on me, maybe ive been lucky but ive driven them for years without any problems. (im not in any way suggesting you do the same as the diagnosis has not been confirmed)
hope this helps .
mark

Hi David
Its always difficult to daignose from sounds, but IF it is the clutch release bearing, you will get a noise when the engine is started and its just idling in neutral, the noise a clutch release bearing makes is a whirring type noise (unless it collapses all together) , the easiest way to diagnose a release bearing is as follows, with the car started and in nuetral listen for a noise (i would say a whirring rumbling noise) then press the clutch pedal to the floor, by doing this ,the noise should decrease or go altogether. the noises you describe (in my opinion might be something different,possibly related to your clutch plate itself)is the biting point at the top? does the gear change smoothly in all gears inc reverse?

If it is the release bearing or clutch obviously its a gearbox out job and unless you can do this yourself, will be fairly costly, more in labour than parts.
obviously any noises coming from the gearbox/clutch is a concern but any car ive owned WITH a clutch release bearing on its way out, (although sometimes very noisy) has never failed on me, maybe ive been lucky but ive driven them for years without any problems. (im not in any way suggesting you do the same as the diagnosis has not been confirmed)
hope this helps .
mark

Hi Mark,
Firstly thank you for the reply, after reading your post it has led me to believe it isn't the clutch bearing as when it is in neutral and just idling there is no noise at all its only when I pull away in first and change to 2nd, the rest of the gears are fine, the clutch also doesn't slip or anything like that. I forgot to say also that when it is started from cold it is a lot louder, once the engine warms up it gets a lot quiter and sometimes goes altogether. Ive just been out in it trying to determine what it sounds like and it possibly sounds like something isn't tight enough. This also has only really happened since I got it back from having the alternator belt replaced after it snapped, I have taken it back to the garage but he said it has nothing to do with him changing the belt (he said this by just taking it round the block). Thanks for your time anyway
Kind regards
David