Major coolant leak tonight

technics100

Reaction score
The wife was driving my 2.0 A4 today as her BMW 1 Series is a bit tail happy in the snow. She got home and said that the heaters were cold. I noticed this on monday morning after my drive to work. So I topped the coolant up with G12 yesterday evening. However, I went out tonight and started my car, revved it a bit to see if the coolant was air locked and push it through the system, but then a load of coolant started leaking from below the engine, I can't see where from but think its from the water pump. I was told at my last service that the water pump was weeping and it might need changed as some point. Has the seal round the pump just let go? would that cause the lack of heat in the system? Will ring the mechanic tomorrow, but should I top the system up with water or just leave it empty with the expansion tank lid off this evening?

Cheers

Has the temp guage shown ahigher reading?If so youmay have low coolant in the engine which is more serious and I would top with anti freeze in these conditions .Wind chill on the move will freeze water quickly.If it is the pump seal and you have to wait for it to be fixed you may be tempted to use radseal to hold the leak if you need to .use the car in the meantime