S4 B6 (2004) with Single Xenons - Upgrade non-xenon lamps

cobraBLACK

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!
Reaction score
Hello.

My new S4 has single xenon headlamps with the sidelights / main beam being the standard non-xenon type. Obviously I want to upgrade these but what's the best way/kit? On my Impreza I was able to fit a dual beam HID kit and LEDs for the sidelights. Is this the way to go for the S4? If so, are there particular HIDs/LEDs to go for?

Here it is by the way. Headlamp shot to come...

P1070097.jpg

Every time I post it gets posted twice. Is that because I'm using Google Chrome (on W7)? I'll have to try it with IE.

I wouldn't mess with the dipped beam as it uses a DS1 type bulb which is very expensive to replace if something goes wrong. Also the availability of bi-xenon kits for D1S equipped cars is non existant.

The S4 bi-xenon headlamps use a different projector which is slightly larger than the single xenon projector. If I were you I really wouldn't bother, as how often is your main beam used to make this cost worthwhile? The LED sidelights can be had for about £15, but they might cause the computer to start displaying bulb error warnings because of the low voltage.

Here's a link to an OEM Audi S4 bi-xenon headlight.

That is pricey!

Just to be clear on what you're saying, DS1 bulb is the sealed unit with opaque, convex cover. Next to that, in a traditional concave reflective area there are two bulb; the main beam and sidelights, I believe. It's those two I'd like to replace.

I got used to HIDs on my last car and the difference between main HID beam and these S4's is significant to bother.

Sorry, I wrote D1S and DS1 in my original post, D1S is the correct S4 bulb. It looks like this:

Osram%20D1S%20Photo2.jpg

This is the bulb which is located behind the convex glass bowl commonly referred to as a projector.

What you can do is get a set of new main beam bulbs. PIAA are regarded as the best but they are very expensive.

HID = dipped beam. That should be left well alone, as not only is it expensive it can also be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

The PIAA bulbs (main beam) are xenon like in appearance and are very bright. I'm not sure what bulb is currently in the S4 for the main beam but look on eBay for PIAA H7 (for example, S4 might be H4) and you'll get plenty of results. They're expensive though.

OK, thanks.

The HIDs on my Impreza are dipped and main though.

The regular bulb in the S4 throws dipped along with the project but, on main beam, only that one (and not the projector) brightens.

Well, you can either get an aftermarket bi-xenon kit (not sure what's available for D1S fitment) or you can do it properly and buy those headlights I linked to on eBay earlier and use your existing bulbs.

The PIAA bulbs will be cheapest, then the aftermarket kit and the headlamp upgrade will be most expensive.