Impreza to S4 - Some Questions...

cobraBLACK

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the S4 (and Audis in general) having bought a lush Goodwood Green S4 Avant with grey RS4 rims just before Christmas (pics coming soon).

There's a few questions I have now:

1. The S4 has single xenon headlamps with the sidelights / main beam being the standard non-xenon type. Obviously I want to upgrade these but what's the best way/kit? On my Impreza I was able to fit a dual beam HID kit and LEDs for the sidelights. Is this the way to go for the S4? If so, are there particular HIDs/LEDs to go for?

2. There's a few minor trim issues that need sorting: warning triangle cover missing pins to keep the flap in place; battery cover clips broken; and, most importantly, plastic clutch rest clips broken and sliding off of metal bracket (and jamming clutch pedal). Is the answer to these issues speaking to the dealer? I've looked on eBay but no luck.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. There's a long-standing Impreza drivers' tradition of waving / flashing lights at each other. Is there anything with S4s? I saw one this morning and waved and he just looked at me!

Hello and welcome!

I flash at other S's sometimes, never flash back though!!

As for your parts, there is a dude on here called pjmspeedy who can get you anything delivered to your door cheaper than the dealers. Drop him a pm and he'll sort you out.

Ryan

p.s......get some pics up!!

Welcome to our brand new forum!

I'll second the picture request ;)

In answer to your questions:

1) HID's seem to be a bit hit and miss. I've never had any problems but various users seem to have issues with warning codes, seems to be dependant on ballast location. There is an HID thread running currently. I'm not familiar with the look of the OEM xenon headlight - is the main beam bulb just a 55w halogen bulb in a normal reflector headlight? If so i dont see how you can upgrade to HIDS....

LED sidelights, THESE are a popular upgrade, note that the xenon's have different bulbs to the one's I've linked to though.

2) My clutch deadman pedal is just screwed on, can you not just rescrew that? As mentioned give pjmspeedy a try as he can sort you out part numbers and a competitive price delivered to your door.

Generally I think both A4's and S4's are too popular with non car enthusiasts that I think I wave will usually result in a blank stare :(

I remember when I had my Scoobs and my mrs used to alway ask why do you flash other scoobys and why do others flash you, back then it was the Norm and in my day there wasnt many of them around, they're as common as a Mondeo now. A4/S4's really aint unique in that sense and dont have the "impreza" theme to them.My dad used to say to me, when will you get a Gentleman's car and get rid of that Rally mobile!!!

2) My clutch deadman pedal is just screwed on, can you not just rescrew that? As mentioned give pjmspeedy a try as he can sort you out part numbers and a competitive price delivered to your door.

It has a screw at the top but relies on two side clips and another clip underneath the front. The latter is the one that's broken and the other clips don't keep it place as it slowly pivots on the top screw, wedging underneath the clutch pedal.

I took a couple of photos for pjmspeedy so thought I'd take a quick profile with no consideration of composition, etc. I would have shot the lights too but they were too close to the bush.

P1070097.jpg

Nice colour.

What happened to the original Avus wheels? Are the RS rep's 18's?

Dunno - there's one in boot but I only got these with it.

They are indeed 18s.

Really? I don't like the Avus ones at all. I was quite pleased to find one with wheels I liked as they seem to be quite rare.

ill have to agree with you there.Each to their own though!
When you mentioned the Green earlier, I pictured the one on fleebay....Here

Really? I don't like the Avus ones at all. I was quite pleased to find one with wheels I liked as they seem to be quite rare.

Lol dont worry about it, I'm well known for my Avus liking :wub:

The RS4 wheels are nice enough, I just have a thing about reps and i think the Avus would appear to fill the arches better etc. It might just be down to the offset of the wheels, or even the angle of the photo :thumbsup:

yeah James your right, bit of coding here and there and would look pretty nice. I hated it at first but I think its because of the Grey bits!

Despite having genuine AvusIII's myself, I think those RS4 Anthrcite's are probably the best looking for the A4/S4, but FAR from being hard too find, my experience is that there are just hundreds of them around, but most people aren't willing to stumup for the real thing and usually just go for the replica's, which often seem to be really nasty, cheap and heavy.

I went for the AvusIII's since they were relatively rare and OEM.

In fairness unless you have an RS4 you have to go for replica's or the offset would be miles out!

I like the S3 / S8 wheels that I had on my S6, they actually come as an option on the B7 S4.. TIDY... however I do think the Avus are the best wheel for the B6 chassis.. I had them myself..

In fairness unless you have an RS4 you have to go for replica's or the offset would be miles out!

What is the OEM offset on the B7 RS4? I know the A3 8L's that have the RS4's have to be RS4's since the PCD and offset would be wrong, but I had assumed that the B7 RS4 would be compatible with the B6 A4....

edit: i've found one link indicating ET29, so yes, that would need the RS4 body kit, just to keep them legal (pretty sure there's something about the rim's are not allowed to sit outside the line of the body).

Last edited:
Yes I think it is 29, oem RS4 wheels on a B6 are not gonna happen!

If some A3 have them fitted then they would be RS4 'style' rather than RS4 wheels, if they do then they might fit B6's.

Whats the offset on original avus wheels? I have 15 mm spacers all round so assume i take the 15mm off the original to work out what they are at now?

Whats the offset on original avus wheels? I have 15 mm spacers all round so assume i take the 15mm off the original to work out what they are at now?

ET45, for sure! I'd get pics to confirm, if I thought I could get those centre-caps off without cracking them!

Or check on VagCat (LINK):
"part number 8E0601025L
Wheel Disc 'alum'
8JX18H2 ET45 5/112 / S4:pR-CS1"

Last edited:
They are an absolute nightmare to remove!!...I've broken a couple trying to remove them, even when they don't break, they always feel like they are about too!!

So that would make mine et 30 at the minute?...and only 1mm different than the RS's?

Just had a thought though that the reason they'd stick out so far is they are maybe an inch wider than the avus's?

You can get RS4 style for the B7, A3 8P etc that are OEM in 18" with standard offset, so they could be those ones. They do look flatter like the OEM RS4 Style (think they call them 7 spoke twin arm alloys).

Anyway, we're all well off the point here, lol. MJ, lovely Avant bet it sounds great too. How do you think it performs against your previous scooby?

So that would make mine et 30 at the minute?...and only 1mm different than the RS's?

Just had a thought though that the reason they'd stick out so far is they are maybe an inch wider than the avus's?

I think that's right, this from Audizine:

19x9.0 OEM RS4 - ET29
18x8.5 OEM RS4 - ET21

How do you think it performs against your previous scooby?

I worked out beforehand that the power to weight ratio was, bizarrely, identical. The torque in my Impreza was good but the S4 is just amazing; so much at low revs.

They're fairly close but the Impreza is built for the 0-100 sprint so, when you get up to the power band in 3rd in the S4, it blows away the Impreza from then on.

I'll definitely miss the Impreza as it's such an epic experience driving one; even when you're not caning it the feeling is great. The bumpiness does get a bit annoying during normal driving on bad roads though, which is what ultimately lead to me getting an S4 - my young son kept puking!

I think that's right, this from Audizine:

19x9.0 OEM RS4 - ET29
18x8.5 OEM RS4 - ET21
wow - no wonder the RS4 needs the phat bodykit!

...and I do love my stats!

How do you think it performs against your previous scooby?

Marc - they're such different cars, you might as well ask him to compare a Continental GT and a Caterham Superlight... the Scooby's gonna be a lot more fun to drive, it'll feel a lot sportier due to the "fizz" of the accelleration, weight and firmness of the ride.... in terms of pace, the Scooby is the A-B car, but the S4 is how your passengers would prefer to travel: if you put them on a B-road, the S4 wouldn't stand a chance; the Scooby is too agile and has too much low down accelleration if you keep the turbo spooled up, but as soon as you're into sweeping A-road territory, I think the Scooby would loose patience trying to haul in the S4.... and the S4 driver probably wouldn't even know there was somebody trying to have a race :)

Last edited:
ah yes! WELCOME Mystik!:beerchug:
sorry if this thread has turned into a generic A4 / S4 chat...

To answer your question RE: parts, I find that PJMspeedy is a good benchmark for good prices: genuine Audi parts delivered to your door for less than Audi can get them (and he'll tell you if he knows somewhere else that's cheaper than him).

Another tip would be: if your local Audi guys aren't desperately helpful, then see if you have another Volkswagen/Seat (or any VAG: Skoda/Lambo/Bently) dealer around who is more flexible. I've got a Seat dealer who will take parts orders via the phone and credit card and then you just pop in and pick the parts up... but the two nearest Audi dealers both insist that you come in and place the order in person... and then come back a few days later to collect the parts.

Doc - just checking - is it the RS4's 4.2 V8 that's a pig to get forced induction to work effectively, but the S4's 4.2 is the one that Audi have 'charged elsewhere (e.g. 2002 RS6 Bi-Turbo)?

PES have Supercharged the R8, RS4 and the S4 now with great results and way less then the £23k + price that MTM ask for and offer it with a charge cooler or without.

S4 PES

Little info on the S4 kit.

products_g4-3.jpg

Introducing the NEW PES G4 MPI supercharger system for the VAG 4.2L 5V engine group as well as the Audi R8 4.2FSI . At the heart of the system is the PES cast aluminum intake manifold and an Eaton M90 supercharger. This roots-type positive displacement supercharger delivers instant, seamless boost throughout the RPM range. Eaton superchargers are used as OEM equipment on Mercedes Benz, Aston Martin, and Jaguar automobiles. The system is supplied complete with all parts necessary for installation.
products_g4-2.jpg
The addition of forced induction necessitates enhanced fuel delivery to ensure the correct air/fuel ratio for performance and safety. The kit includes PES’s in house ECU recalibrating and offers ultra smooth drivability, and seamless power delivery. The G4 MPI system is the result of over 2 years of design and road testing using data logging software. Our vehicles are tested under a wide variety of driving conditions ranging from "easy" daily commutes to severe track conditions. We also test our systems in a broad range of temperatures, from bitter winter cold to blazing summer heat. Testing is also conducted using both Dynojet and Mustang dynamometers. We are so confident in the reliability of the system that we offer a one year, unlimited mileage warranty.
STAGE 2

Our 7psi kit is combined with our air - liquid intercooler system. This system is designed ONLY for Audi S4 6speed cars at this time. The system offers gains of approx 40-45% over stock. $8495

Little info on the S4 kit.

products_g4-3.jpg

Introducing the NEW PES G4 MPI supercharger system for the VAG 4.2L 5V engine group as well as the Audi R8 4.2FSI . At the heart of the system is the PES cast aluminum intake manifold and an Eaton M90 supercharger. This roots-type positive displacement supercharger delivers instant, seamless boost throughout the RPM range. Eaton superchargers are used as OEM equipment on Mercedes Benz, Aston Martin, and Jaguar automobiles. The system is supplied complete with all parts necessary for installation.
products_g4-2.jpg
The addition of forced induction necessitates enhanced fuel delivery to ensure the correct air/fuel ratio for performance and safety. The kit includes PES’s in house ECU recalibrating and offers ultra smooth drivability, and seamless power delivery. The G4 MPI system is the result of over 2 years of design and road testing using data logging software. Our vehicles are tested under a wide variety of driving conditions ranging from "easy" daily commutes to severe track conditions. We also test our systems in a broad range of temperatures, from bitter winter cold to blazing summer heat. Testing is also conducted using both Dynojet and Mustang dynamometers. We are so confident in the reliability of the system that we offer a one year, unlimited mileage warranty.
STAGE 2

Our 7psi kit is combined with our air - liquid intercooler system. This system is designed ONLY for Audi S4 6speed cars at this time. The system offers gains of approx 40-45% over stock. $8495

Hi Guys, i am now considering a move from my 2006 Impreza STI to an S4 Avant (2003) or A4 Avant 3.0tdi (2006), but have been put off by scary fuel consumption rumours from the S4.

What can i expect on a Motorway run, and around the town?

Best i had on Motorway run was 24mpg (doesn't come anywhere near the book figures off 34mpg) and worst (most fun!) was around 10mpg.

Cheers, Leon

S4:

If you do a variety of driving it should be pretty similar.

It's hard for me to be sure as I've had a leaking injector for the last week or two.

It's not too pretty in traffic jams (5-15 mpg) but 30 mph in 4th gives around 30 mpg and 40-50 mph in 6th gives up to 40 mpg. I haven't checked on a full throttle burst (more important things to look at). I would expect the S4 to have better fuel consumption on the motorway; I don't know about your 2006 but, due to the gearing, mine revved very high at motorway speed and it was quite hard to stay off boost too.

I'm getting the injectors resealed tomorrow so I should be able to build a better picture over the next couple of weeks.

I had a Classic (MY99) so all I could go by was the tripometer reading every time I refuelled - I don't like seeing the fuel consumption on the Audi's DIS!

S4:

I had a Classic (MY99) so all I could go by was the tripometer reading every time I refuelled - I don't like seeing the fuel consumption on the Audi's DIS!

Thanks for the reply. I never look at the mileage per tank otherwise i would cry, I just fill up everytime i see the Shell sign!

Yeah will be interested to see what it gets once it's sorted. Do you know how many miles per tank roughly?

when i picked mine up and came back from scotland it was showing an avergae of 30.1mpg which is pretty good for such a big car
around town i get anywhere from 17-21 mpg and when i bury the pedal it drops down to around 7-8 mpg
overall ownership has been fantastic and until very recently it hadnt a single fault in 3.5 years ownership