Aero wipers driving me mad!

dalespitfire

Quattrophenia
Reaction score
Guys,

I had the wiper blades changed on my B6 1.8T as part of the MOT I had done before I bought it (Aero wipers).

Ever since I have just not been able to get the passenger blade to give a clean wipe - drivers side is fine.

I've tried all the adjustment I can think of at the arm, and the pivot type adjuster on the back of the blade, but it just does not seem to want to touch the screen along the full length of the blade - its always missing somewhere.

Any hints and tips as to how I can sort this as this is now driving me bleeding mental :sob:.

Or do I assume I have dodgy blade and get another?

TIA

Hi mate,

Depends how I "adjust" the wiper! Its always the same patches though - if I get one sorted, it misses another and vice versa.

I might take it off and refit as I didn't actually put it on. Once the 8 inches of snow has gone of course!

This may be wide of the mark, but worth a post:

Are the Aero arms original fit or a retro fit? When I got my retro fit Aero arms I had a similar problem (and I know of at least one other user who had the same). The passenger side would never wipe clear. In the end I had to bend the arm slightly so it made a better contact with the screen. I increased the curve slightly to make it push down harder on the screen.

I just had to replace my Aero wiper blades. I think it was about £34, can't quite remember , my vision went all swimmy in shock.

My drivers side Aero wiper arm completely snapped off while driving over Xmas (2003 A4 convertible). I'm driving leaning to one side at mo, not the safest driving position or most comfortable. Ive been searching everywhere for a replacement, (plus blade if pos).a second hand one will do, as cash is tight after Xmas, any suggestions?

This may be wide of the mark, but worth a post:

Are the Aero arms original fit or a retro fit? When I got my retro fit Aero arms I had a similar problem (and I know of at least one other user who had the same). The passenger side would never wipe clear. In the end I had to bend the arm slightly so it made a better contact with the screen. I increased the curve slightly to make it push down harder on the screen.

Yeah, I can see me having to try this.

I believe they are a factory fit. Its a 54 plate B6 so is pretty late and I'm not sure whether they had started being fitted as standard - and the previous owner wouldn't knew **** from elbow so doubt they diy'ed it.

I wonder whether its a dodgy blade or something was disturbed during the fitting.

Yeah they sound like original fitment. I'd try a new blade first, as it would be unusual for them to work fine for so long and they just start giving problems. Have you tried to degrease both windscreen and wiper blades in case the garage got grease or similar on there?

Failing that I would go for the new blade I think.

Yeah they sound like original fitment. I'd try a new blade first, as it would be unusual for them to work fine for so long and they just start giving problems. Have you tried to degrease both windscreen and wiper blades in case the garage got grease or similar on there?

Failing that I would go for the new blade I think.

No, not tried that yet to be honest mate but its just easy to see that when its in the "off" position that the blade isn't actually touching the screen so can't see it being a contaminent.

Are they easy enough to remove or a PITA like the washer bottle I need to get to by removing the wheel and arch liner?!:laugh:

Are they easy enough to remove or a PITA like the washer bottle I need to get to by removing the wheel and arch liner?!:laugh:

The blade or the arm? I've never done the blades but can't see them being hard.

The arms can be a fiddle. They tend to be very tight on the motor spindle, they can be eased off with patience and WD40 - but if you're near anywhere to get one of these it would be very worth it:

040211427.jpg

My drivers side Aero wiper arm completely snapped off while driving over Xmas (2003 A4 convertible). I'm driving leaning to one side at mo, not the safest driving position or most comfortable. Ive been searching everywhere for a replacement, (plus blade if pos).a second hand one will do, as cash is tight after Xmas, any suggestions?
I think 98% sure i have a cab one in the garage as there different to the saloon and avants
it will have blade as well
i will check tommorow if you like .

Old thread I know. I now own Phils (dealespitfire) car and it was still like this on the passenger blade.

Had a quick look. The pivoting fixing block on the very end of the arm is supposed to be able to pivot slightly where the blade attaches to. This lets the blade stay in contact with the screen as it wipes.
This block was seized up solid. Removed blade, removed arm and by some gentle persuasion with a pair of mole grips and plenty of penetrating fluid, managed to free it up.
Now wipes perfect.
Hope it helps someone with the same problem.

Jase..

One thing i have found is that the genuine Audi ones are actually far superior than any after market blades i have tried.

They also last longer.