2.5 tdi temp sender location

swine

Reaction score
hi all, had a random fault with temp on dash falling to 75 then going back to 90. 9 times out of 10 it was fine reading 90, but last night it fell to 0 and wont move. i presume its the sender as the thermostat was changed a couple of months ago so gonna try cheap option first. anybody know if the sensor is the one thats close to the front of the engine on the left and a little advice on how to change would also be nice, thanks in advance:thumbsup:

Mine does the same, is you engine management light on and have u run a diagnostic?
Theres two temp sensors and i don't know which one to change. Also, they tell me this also causes a flat spot in my acceleration (happens very rarely)...

Now then

firstly is your motor a B6 chassis?

I have had this problem on my 2001 2.5tdi v6

I was told that there was 2 senders but in fact as far as i know there is only 1.The temp sender i changed sits on the top of your engine connected to one of the pipes slightly left of the centre,as you face the windscreen (should be green in colour). with a COLD ENGINE simply disconnect the wiring,slide out the horseshoe shaped retainer and wiggle the sender loose replace with new ensuring you put a new rubber 'o'ring in(sender should come with one). Before i changed mine there was a power blip each time the guage failed and fell to zero this is due to the ecu being momentarily flumaxed with no reading of the engine temp and adjusting the fueling. Im not sure about your engine management light because mine never showed up but change the sender and if its still there then have it looked at by the proffesionals

Kool, that sounds like something I can do myself.

The engine management light may just be cause its a different model (mine is a 03 cabriolet 2.5tdi). My power blip also at the same time the needle drops to zero and this is usually when the light comes on also (but these days its almost always on). Thanks for the info

YOUR WELCOME, IT SOUNDS LIKE THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT IS TO DO WITH THE SENDER, ITS A TEN MINUTE JOB EVEN IF YOU TAKE YOUR TIME