Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Cheers James,

i knew someone was going to be along sooner or later to answer my question.

I phoned Audi Southampton today and they sell them for Ł16.52 each so for that price will probably just get them from there as i can get them on the day.

Glad to know someone has changed them successfully themselves so will give it a go too. Good advice on the soaking overnight idea will defo do that and then try not to rush it and take my time.

Am going to do the plugs and if that does not help my poor cold starting issue i am gonna get the timing looked at by my local idependant garage.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Revo Stg 2 & Select+, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Is yours still cranking over before it fires even in the warmer weather then?

Quote Originally Posted by vrbob View Post
    Am going to do the plugs and if that does not help my poor cold starting issue i am gonna get the timing looked at by my local idependant garage.
    I did both of those things and it didn't make any improvement. The cars been ok over the summer but I will have to investigate further come the winter I expect.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Yeah mines still very hit and miss.

it seems if the engine block is cold it has trouble 80% of the time. If the engine block is warm its ok 80% od the time.

So gonna try the glow plugs as they arnt to expensive and i should be able to replace them myself (fingers crossed). after that i will see what the garage says or maybe even Audi themselves depends on how deep my pockets feel that day.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Revo Stg 2 & Select+, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Master Baker

Status
    Very good & interesting read.
    Did anyone actually get to the bottom of their cold starting issues or are we waiting for the obvious...........cold weather
    ATR vs V6 TDI

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ADC74 View Post
    Did anyone actually get to the bottom of their cold starting issues or are we waiting for the obvious...........cold weather
    I reckon in most cases the injector pump is either too retarded or too advanced hence the hard starts in the morning or cold wheather... I have had many v6 tdi and even high mileage ones were first time starters... Only one i have rebuilt the engine ( dropped the compression ratio by working on the pistons and thicker head gaskets ) took a 2 sec. cranking to get it started...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ADC74 View Post
    bob had the belts changed and the timing was found to be well out .I now have the car and it starts perfectly every time

1st Gear

Status
    well after reading this,
    i had my pump changed a couple of years ago and it was fine but got worse starting,baattery ws swapped as it died as generl service items do,
    getting more and more pissed off with it,

symptoms were poor cold starts,10 seconds then coughed into life with a big cloud behind it
    new coolnt temp sensor,
    then 3 injector cleaners it was starting a little better,
    checked glo plug powers, replaced all glow plugs
    note only 1 was working 5 were duds,
    then i whipped covers off and adjusted the pump timing clockwise 5mm and now the car starts perfect hot and cold

4th Gear

Status
    Great result.Mines still starting perfectly after Chris did the belts and retimed it.So good to know it will perform no matter how bad the winter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234