Left Xenon/washer jets not working! HELP

rajmann

Reaction score
Hi all....

I have an A4 2.5 TDi on a 2002 52. The car has HID headlights with the headlight washer jets. When i first purchased the car the left xenon headlight was not glowing as white/blue as the right hand side one. the left xenon bulb stopped working and as a result of this whenever I use my washer jets with the headlights on the fuse for the washer jets keeps blowing. The headlight washer jets have stopped firing too.

i have replaced the xenon bulb however it is not working and the headlight washer jets are still not working. As a result of this the fuse keeps blowing too. My mechanic has checked the wire that connects to the bulb and there is no power coming down to it.

does anyone know if this could be linked to the headlight washer jets or of there is a relay that controls the two things that may be faulty.

Many thanks.....

Raj

With reagrd to your headlamp washers - have a look here Retrofitting Headlamp Washers you will find all the electrical details and circuit here too.

The washers use fuse #37 and this should be 30A according to Audi circuits - Early models only had a 25A fuse fitted and Audi circuits advise that this had a production change from 25A to 30A.

Last edited:
Bumper of mate & check the jets for leaks in the piping, could be a ballast faulty, but sounds like shorting out & possibly from the water jet maybe leaking, but do as advised, use a 30amp for xenons, I have never had any blow on 3 audis now & one was a B6 S4, not one issue on that, so obviously something is amiss somewhere.

Last edited:
Oops sorry mate I misread it, I'll edit to show.

Thanks for all help so far. I have a couple of days off work so i will be gettin g the bumper off to have a look.

Earlier on i was at the lights next to a C220 Mercedes and we may have had a little traffic light grand prix. As i moved off the warning light for the RIGHT xenon came on and it switched off and switched back off. So now the right headlight has started to switch off and on during harder braking and moving off.

This has really started confusing me, as this is what the left xenon used to do before it stopped working all together.

i have checked the manual and which states that the headlights run off fuse 21 and 22. The car has no fuse 21 and 22 so i am hoping that it really is a dodgy relay.

What im really struggling is with is finding a relay diagram so that i can start eliminating all of the possible 'CHEAPER PARTS' before having to go pay my local dealer a visit.

Any info on the relays, or if anyone has expierienced anything similar would be very much appriciated

Once again many thanks All

:
i have checked the manual and which states that the headlights run off fuse 21 and 22. The car has no fuse 21 and 22 so i am hoping that it really is a dodgy relay.

What im really struggling is with is finding a relay diagram so that i can start eliminating all of the possible 'CHEAPER PARTS' before having to go pay my local dealer a visit.

Any info on the relays, or if anyone has expierienced anything similar would be very much appriciated
:

There is now a Haynes book for the A4/B6. Years back for VW cars I had they showed the circuit diagrams - you could have a look in Halfords and see if this has circuit info. I have the Bentley DVD from the US and use this for my own reference.

There are no relays for headlights - all is controlled through the "09 Central Electronics Power module". This is located under the steering wheel area nearest the door. It's pictured in the Headlight Washer retrofit section i referenced earlier - it's a flat box module with 3 connectors.

Fuses F21 & F22 are both indicated as 15A but only fitted on "lowline" specification models - not sure what the clasification of this means. "highline" spec cars do not have these fuses so I guess they pick up a fused supply from another feed to the "09" module.

There are various circuits for headlights and Xenon HID's,
"Headlights with High Intensity Gas Discharge (HID) Lamp and Automatic Headlight Beam Adjusting"​

• from 2001 m.y.
  • from 2003 m.y.
  • from 2004 m.y.
Could be a loose connection in the A-pillar kick panel area inside the car before it goes through to the engine comaprtment? Left headlight connection left kick panel T17a (RED) 17-pin connector.

PM me your email address and I can send you pdfs of these circuits for reference.

Checking for headlight washer leaks:
Taking the front bumper skin off is a big task - been there done it for my retrofit. However, by taking out the headlights and also the engine floor pan cover you can get access to the headlight washer jets. With a torch and front jacked up you should have no problems looking from the top or below to the washer jet assembly for leaks. In fact I had to fit my replacement washer jet bumper skin first to the metal bumper before I could fit the jets as the horn assemblies obstructed getting the skin on with the jets pre-fitted.