AH FabricationsSky Insurance

Thread: Audi A4 sat nav

1st Gear

Status

Audi A4 sat nav

Hi I plan on fitting the 2006 model A4 sat nav in my 2003 Audi A4 I have the symphony cd player cuurently installed and would like to know if this would fit straight it or do I need a special wiring if so which one and also what would I need to make the TV work? Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Four Ring Fanatic

Status
    hi mate, there are so many threads covering this subject do a search using phrases like 'rns-e retrofit'

also have a look at this forum: audiforum.us
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

1st Gear

Status
    Hi did the search and found out what I need just a few questions Im not sure about what does the VAG com coding do and if I don't get it coded what will happen and how much does it cost to get it coded also where do I place the GPS antenna in the glove box? Answers will be appreciated

Dude, what's mine say ?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lionyo View Post
    Hi did the search and found out what I need just a few questions Im not sure about what does the VAG com coding do and if I don't get it coded what will happen and how much does it cost to get it coded also where do I place the GPS antenna in the glove box? Answers will be appreciated
    GPS antenna can be placed on the metal bar under the passenger airbag. You have to take the glovebox out completely.

The coding will be needed to tell the car that you now have satnav. This is will then allow the instructions to come up in the DIS screen. I'm sure there is a member near you that will code it for you. It will just cost you the price of a couple of beers.
    Audi A4 1.8T Sport Cabriolet-Full black leather(Electric & heated),RNS-E,BOSE, OEM Bluetooth,RS4 Mirrors,RS4 FBMFSW,RS4 Pedals,RS4 RARB,Cruise Control,B7 Rear Lights,Ally Inlays,18" RS6 Alloys,HID's/Auto lights with dimming rear view mirror,Coming home lights,Ambient light pack & Rear parking sensors.

For all your VAG OEM PARTS send me a PM or e-mail me at vagoemparts@ymail.com

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmspeedy View Post
    GPS antenna can be placed on the metal bar under the passenger airbag. You have to take the glovebox out completely.

The coding will be needed to tell the car that you now have satnav. This is will then allow the instructions to come up in the DIS screen. I'm sure there is a member near you that will code it for you. It will just cost you the price of a couple of beers.
    Thank you very much for the reply, I'm located in Birmingham hope their is someone near me that can code it for me also does the TV need to be coded or is that a Plug & Play?

Dude, what's mine say ?

Status
    Thank you very much for the reply, I'm located in Birmingham hope their is someone near me that can code it for me also does the TV need to be coded or is that a Plug & Play?
    There is a couple of members in Solihul and quite a few in and around Cov. You should come to the meet next week in Cov. See local events thread for the Midlands.

When it's coded for the satnav you just change a digit in the coding for the TV option.
    Audi A4 1.8T Sport Cabriolet-Full black leather(Electric & heated),RNS-E,BOSE, OEM Bluetooth,RS4 Mirrors,RS4 FBMFSW,RS4 Pedals,RS4 RARB,Cruise Control,B7 Rear Lights,Ally Inlays,18" RS6 Alloys,HID's/Auto lights with dimming rear view mirror,Coming home lights,Ambient light pack & Rear parking sensors.

For all your VAG OEM PARTS send me a PM or e-mail me at vagoemparts@ymail.com

Four Ring Fanatic

Status
    where in birmingham are you mate? i'm in castle brom
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1210tech View Post
    where in birmingham are you mate? i'm in castle brom
    I live 6 miles away from Castle Bromwhich

1st Gear

Status
    I have just bought the sat nav model code is 8e0 035 192 Q

Only thing is that I need to obtain the code for it will my local electric code unlockers be able to do this, if they can't how do I get the code? Thanks in advance!

Also going to purchase this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320474517356 is this right?

3rd Gear

Status
    AH.....I believe that you can only get the code from audi and they will charge you for it! Thats the right cable, don't forget you'll need a gps antenna and unless you are really luicky and it came out of a car exactly the same spec as yours (!) it will need coding....

Available soon in the For Sale Section.....

RS4 Pedals - Drivers side mirror mounting/wiring
    B6 Cab Front Grills - Drivers side B6 Cab Headlamp
    Moro Blue Mirror Caps - Full set of Cab Windscreen Surrounds
    Symphony 6 disc Head - Unit Full set of B6 Cab Manuals inc Leather Wallet
    N/S B6 Rear Lamp - RS6 Auto Brake Pedal

PM for more details.......

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the reply So how much will Audi charge me hope it doesn't cost a fortune also do you know if I've got the right system for my 2003 b6 audi?

Also what is this and what does it do http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-Factory-N...item27ae87e49b
    Last edited by lionyo; 14th January 2010 at 21:32.

3rd Gear

Status
    Not sure what they charge, have heard arouind 25 quid though?

Your unit will be fine and is a 2008 model so pretty new.

Dunno what that link is but you don't need it!!!

1st Gear

Status
    I've bought the installation kit can't wait to install!!

One thing I have noticed is that the screen on the unit shows blue finger should this be a worry, hope it is okay

3rd Gear

Status
    ?? blue finger? if you mean finger/grease marks then they just need wiping off, use a microfibre cloth on it very gently...

1st Gear

Status
    Yep it has finger/grease marks which appear to be blue in colour, will get a microfibre cloth to remove the grease marks once installed.

Will post pictures once installed

3rd Gear

Status
    whereabouts in brum are you???

BahnStormer

Status
    that eBay link to the DVD unit is for an A6 or similar - they keep the Nav DVD in the Glove-box... the RNS-E has it behind the screen....
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

4 Spring Duck Technique

Status
    You could try this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-rns-e-A3-...item3ca93f146f not sure if it works?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by markyzs180 View Post
    whereabouts in brum are you???
    I'm 5 mins away from the blues ground, why do you ask.

Anyone know where I can get a digital tv tuner from don't want to spend a lot of money on it though, any suggestions?
    Last edited by lionyo; 15th January 2010 at 17:44.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm 5 mins away from the blues ground, why do you ask.

Anyone know where I can get a digital tv tuner from don't want to spend a lot of money on it though, any suggestions?
    I hope you spat as you mentioned the b***s

Cos I'm in Shirley and noticed you are localish

One thing you didn't mention.....has your car got BOSE??

1st Gear

Status
    Hi it doesn't say bose on the speakers but the sound quality is still good, I have even had passengers praising the sound quality
    It has 4 speakers in the door cards, 4 tweeters and one large speaker on the back shelf. Is this bose or normal sound system how can I find out also does it make a difference in installing the 'Sat Nav'. Many thanks!

3rd Gear

Status
    If you haven't got bose on the speaker grilles (or a mark where the badge was lol) then you haven't got it. Reason I asked is its a different installation cable if you've got bose.

Stock speakers are pretty good and sound even better with the rns have ypu got yourself a couple of sd cards ready?

BahnStormer

Status
    top tip on the SD cards: you CAN'T use SDHC.... but you can use the Transcend 4Gb SD cards (or similar).... search the ICE forum for Transcend - there's a long discussion there about top tips on how to setup playliss, increase the speed on loading cards, limitatins on number sof mp3's file name formats, etc.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

1st Gear

Status
    Can you please post a link for me, so your saying a normal 4gb sd card won't work?

3rd Gear

Status
    Can you please post a link for me, so your saying a normal 4gb sd card won't work?
    if you've already got a 4gb (non SDHC) card then just give it a try, if you haven't do a search in the ice section for 'transcend' for more info. to be honest you can pick up 2gb cards for less than 3.50 each so I just use them. Don't forget you've got 2 slots to use

BahnStormer

Status
    Most likely not - most 4Gb's are SDHC.... and most 4Gb SD's are a fair bit more expensive since they're not not really made in volume any more... so unlikley that you're "accidentally" bought the SD version...

tbh - 2Gb is plenty... you'll hit the song limit (about 400 "items") on the drive around the 2Gb point anyway... even at 320kbps, I struggled to use up much more than 3Gb on either of my card before I hit that limit.... plus they're now more like 20-40 for 1x 4Gb card (they were 8 each 9 months ago!)...

The "Transcend" search suggestion was just so you could find THIS (LINKED) thread... as there's tips on using Ben's "RNS-E MP3 Manager" software that creates playlists, etc.

One update on that thread: don't even BOTHER with trying to use that software on Vista... even running VirtualPC doesn't seem to like it, but I'm running Windows7-x64 and it's fine in "XP mode"!
    LostBok/BahnStormer77

1st Gear

Status
    I have windows Vista so won't be able to use the software, so what advise is their in terms of creating the folders or should I create no folder and whack the songs in?

Also stumbled accross this http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_i...a-Adapter.html and was wondering how hard it is to install and what additional parts are required, is their a guide anywhere?

5th Gear

Status
    I use several different 4GB SD cards. I use a directory structure of \\artist\album and also store M3U playlist in the root directory.

Works for me every time.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

BahnStormer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    I use several different 4GB SD cards. I use a directory structure of \\artist\album and also store M3U playlist in the root directory.

Works for me every time.
    Agreed - that format works well and having the M3U's in the root speeds things up a fair bit...

PM me if you need a sample of the M3U file - not all versions work.

And regaring your Kufatec question... Hazzy Dayz fit those Ampire DVBT200's and reckon they're head and shoulders above the other Freeview tuner units and AV inputs... only one I'd seriously consider as an alternative would be an Ampire DVBT400, which is the 200 with a freeview recorder....
    Last edited by BahnStormer77; 16th January 2010 at 22:43.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77

1st Gear

Status
    Hi can someone send me the M3U file please via PM.

About the Ampire DVBT200's you know the link I showed here does that contain everything needed to install as I am planning to install myself? Thanks in advance.

BahnStormer

Status
    as per PM:

The data format within the file is "foldername\musicfilename.mp3" on each line, format is the earlier VERY simple m3u format: no drive letter, but you need to have a relative path... so when you place the M3U in the root, it can find the files in the sub-folders.

Here's a sample:
    "100 years of the Movies\1 - BBC Concert Orchestra - That's Entertaiment.mp3
    100 years of the Movies\4 - BBC Concert Orchestra - The Dam Busters.mp3
    100 years of the Movies\5 - BBC Concert Orchestra - The King & I - Shall we dance.mp3
    100 years of the Movies\6 - BBC Concert Orchestra - The Bridge over the River Kwai.mp3"

Don't stress about the win7 "XP-Mode" - the SD cardreader simulation still doesn't let you export directly to the SD card (so you still have to do the steps below).

Setup a folder for RNS-E music on a drive (e.g. "C:\RNS-E-Music") and then a subfolder (e.g. "SDcard1"), then copy the music you want into folders in that "SDcard1" folder, create M3U's using VLC* media player or something like that and place the M3U's into the root ("C:\RNS-E-Music" in this example) and then when you're all done, open the M3U in notepad and strip out the extra info: just do a replace (Ctrl-H) on the first part of the path "C:\RNS-E-music\" and leave the "Replace With" field completely blank. Then move those M3U's and subfolders (containing the music) onto the SD card.

*note with VLC, you will also have to delete all the # lines, which is easy enough with Notepad++ or something like that. Ideally find something that has even more simple M3U formatting - windows Media Player produces the same formatted M3U files IF you switch it to M3U mode.... maybe somebody can recommend a SIMPLE M3U file creator?
    Last edited by BahnStormer77; 17th January 2010 at 13:00.
    LostBok/BahnStormer77