Audi A4 sat nav

lionyo

Reaction score
Hi I plan on fitting the 2006 model A4 sat nav in my 2003 Audi A4 I have the symphony cd player cuurently installed and would like to know if this would fit straight it or do I need a special wiring if so which one and also what would I need to make the TV work? Thanks

Hi did the search and found out what I need just a few questions Im not sure about what does the VAG com coding do and if I don't get it coded what will happen and how much does it cost to get it coded also where do I place the GPS antenna in the glove box? Answers will be appreciated :yum:

Hi did the search and found out what I need just a few questions Im not sure about what does the VAG com coding do and if I don't get it coded what will happen and how much does it cost to get it coded also where do I place the GPS antenna in the glove box? Answers will be appreciated :yum:

GPS antenna can be placed on the metal bar under the passenger airbag. You have to take the glovebox out completely.

The coding will be needed to tell the car that you now have satnav. This is will then allow the instructions to come up in the DIS screen. I'm sure there is a member near you that will code it for you. It will just cost you the price of a couple of beers.

GPS antenna can be placed on the metal bar under the passenger airbag. You have to take the glovebox out completely.

The coding will be needed to tell the car that you now have satnav. This is will then allow the instructions to come up in the DIS screen. I'm sure there is a member near you that will code it for you. It will just cost you the price of a couple of beers.
Thank you very much for the reply, I'm located in Birmingham hope their is someone near me that can code it for me also does the TV need to be coded or is that a Plug & Play?

Thank you very much for the reply, I'm located in Birmingham hope their is someone near me that can code it for me also does the TV need to be coded or is that a Plug & Play?

There is a couple of members in Solihul and quite a few in and around Cov. You should come to the meet next week in Cov. See local events thread for the Midlands.

When it's coded for the satnav you just change a digit in the coding for the TV option.

AH.....I believe that you can only get the code from audi and they will charge you for it! Thats the right cable, don't forget you'll need a gps antenna and unless you are really luicky and it came out of a car exactly the same spec as yours (!) it will need coding....

Not sure what they charge, have heard arouind 25 quid though?

Your unit will be fine and is a 2008 model so pretty new.

Dunno what that link is but you don't need it!!!

I've bought the installation kit can't wait to install!!

One thing I have noticed is that the screen on the unit shows blue finger should this be a worry, hope it is okay :sadlike:

?? blue finger? if you mean finger/grease marks then they just need wiping off, use a microfibre cloth on it very gently...

Yep it has finger/grease marks which appear to be blue in colour, will get a microfibre cloth to remove the grease marks once installed.

Will post pictures once installed :yahoo:

that eBay link to the DVD unit is for an A6 or similar - they keep the Nav DVD in the Glove-box... the RNS-E has it behind the screen....

I'm 5 mins away from the blues ground, why do you ask.

Anyone know where I can get a digital tv tuner from don't want to spend a lot of money on it though, any suggestions?

I hope you spat as you mentioned the b***s :puke2:

Cos I'm in Shirley and noticed you are localish :)

One thing you didn't mention.....has your car got BOSE??

Hi it doesn't say bose on the speakers but the sound quality is still good, I have even had passengers praising the sound quality :yes:
It has 4 speakers in the door cards, 4 tweeters and one large speaker on the back shelf. Is this bose or normal sound system how can I find out also does it make a difference in installing the 'Sat Nav'. Many thanks!

If you haven't got bose on the speaker grilles (or a mark where the badge was lol) then you haven't got it. Reason I asked is its a different installation cable if you've got bose.

Stock speakers are pretty good and sound even better with the rns :) have ypu got yourself a couple of sd cards ready?

top tip on the SD cards: you CAN'T use SDHC.... but you can use the Transcend 4Gb SD cards (or similar).... search the ICE forum for Transcend - there's a long discussion there about top tips on how to setup playliss, increase the speed on loading cards, limitatins on number sof mp3's file name formats, etc.

Can you please post a link for me, so your saying a normal 4gb sd card won't work?

if you've already got a 4gb (non SDHC) card then just give it a try, if you haven't do a search in the ice section for 'transcend' for more info. to be honest you can pick up 2gb cards for less than 3.50 each so I just use them. Don't forget you've got 2 slots to use ;)

Can you please post a link for me, so your saying a normal 4gb sd card won't work?

Most likely not - most 4Gb's are SDHC.... and most 4Gb SD's are a fair bit more expensive since they're not not really made in volume any more... so unlikley that you're "accidentally" bought the SD version...

tbh - 2Gb is plenty... you'll hit the song limit (about 400 "items") on the drive around the 2Gb point anyway... even at 320kbps, I struggled to use up much more than 3Gb on either of my card before I hit that limit.... plus they're now more like £20-£40 for 1x 4Gb card (they were £8 each 9 months ago!)...

The "Transcend" search suggestion was just so you could find THIS (LINKED) thread... as there's tips on using Ben's "RNS-E MP3 Manager" software that creates playlists, etc.

One update on that thread: don't even BOTHER with trying to use that software on Vista... even running VirtualPC doesn't seem to like it, but I'm running Windows7-x64 and it's fine in "XP mode"!

I use several different 4GB SD cards. I use a directory structure of \\artist\album and also store M3U playlist in the root directory.

Works for me every time.

I use several different 4GB SD cards. I use a directory structure of \\artist\album and also store M3U playlist in the root directory.

Works for me every time.

Agreed - that format works well and having the M3U's in the root speeds things up a fair bit...

PM me if you need a sample of the M3U file - not all versions work.

And regaring your Kufatec question... Hazzy Dayz fit those Ampire DVBT200's and reckon they're head and shoulders above the other Freeview tuner units and AV inputs... only one I'd seriously consider as an alternative would be an Ampire DVBT400, which is the 200 with a freeview recorder....

Last edited:
Hi can someone send me the M3U file please via PM.

About the Ampire DVBT200's you know the link I showed here does that contain everything needed to install as I am planning to install myself? Thanks in advance.

as per PM:

The data format within the file is "foldername\musicfilename.mp3" on each line, format is the earlier VERY simple m3u format: no drive letter, but you need to have a relative path... so when you place the M3U in the root, it can find the files in the sub-folders.

Here's a sample:
"100 years of the Movies\1 - BBC Concert Orchestra - That's Entertaiment.mp3
100 years of the Movies\4 - BBC Concert Orchestra - The Dam Busters.mp3
100 years of the Movies\5 - BBC Concert Orchestra - The King & I - Shall we dance.mp3
100 years of the Movies\6 - BBC Concert Orchestra - The Bridge over the River Kwai.mp3"

Don't stress about the win7 "XP-Mode" - the SD cardreader simulation still doesn't let you export directly to the SD card (so you still have to do the steps below).

Setup a folder for RNS-E music on a drive (e.g. "C:\RNS-E-Music") and then a subfolder (e.g. "SDcard1"), then copy the music you want into folders in that "SDcard1" folder, create M3U's using VLC* media player or something like that and place the M3U's into the root ("C:\RNS-E-Music" in this example) and then when you're all done, open the M3U in notepad and strip out the extra info: just do a replace (Ctrl-H) on the first part of the path "C:\RNS-E-music\" and leave the "Replace With" field completely blank. Then move those M3U's and subfolders (containing the music) onto the SD card.

*note with VLC, you will also have to delete all the # lines, which is easy enough with Notepad++ or something like that. Ideally find something that has even more simple M3U formatting - windows Media Player produces the same formatted M3U files IF you switch it to M3U mode.... maybe somebody can recommend a SIMPLE M3U file creator?

Last edited: