How to remove a headlamp?

reggieroo

Reaction score
Website
www.theirishshop.co.uk
May sound like a silly question but how to I get the headlamp out?

One of the headlamps keep steaming up so I took a look & noticed the cover hasn't been put on right + I want to see how to get them out for when I fit some HID's.

It looks like one of those cars where you have to remove half the engine bay to change a bulb.........:faint:

I've undone the top two torq bits but can't find the other two, please don't say I have to remove the front bumper!!!

There is only one more bolt and it sits behind the headlight. Get a torch, and as your looking down on it you should see it.

Forgot to say........ don't undo it all the way as you will lose it!

Just enough so it will let you pull the light forward.

Hi mate, very easy to do once you know where the bolts are :eyebrows:.
There's 2 torx bolts located behind each headlight, easier with air feed pipe removed on drivers side and covers on passenger side (battery and PAS reservior I think).
You only need to remove one of the two bolts, the other can be just loosened off as there's a cut out for headlight for it to slide out. Then thats it - apart from disconnecting the plugs.
Hope this helps
:icon_thumright:

Well I located the other two bolts but in the process I managed to snap one of the top brackets & also ended up butchering the plug which I still haven't been able to remove :mad:

I found the best way to remove the plug is to push it in to the headlight 1st and then press in the clip, that way you take the strain off the clip.

Well I located the other two bolts but in the process I managed to snap one of the top brackets & also ended up butchering the plug which I still haven't been able to remove :mad:

Lol, you wasnt being impatient was you...:)

Dammit - I nearly missed a chance to post my infamous diagram! ;)

Those plugs are b*stards - it takes me longer to get them off than take the light out :banghead:

A4_headlamp_001.jpg

A4_headlamp2_001.jpg

A4_headlamp3_001.jpg

A4_headlamp4_001.jpg

Last edited:
Thats an impressive diagram james :applaus:

marky - don't give him too much credit - pretty sure that's just pilfered off the ELSAwin guide - still, even if James has posted it about once a month, it's still a very useful diagram and I would have been stuck without it!

and they're not kidding when they say to only "slacken off" those torx!!

Last edited:
Would this be the same on an A3 (04plate) ???

Thanx.

Would this be the same on an A3 (04plate) ???

Thanx.

might be similar principles... probably best to ask on the A3-8P forum though: even if I had to go and check for myself, I can only tell you what it's like on a A4-B6 and an A3-8L.