ECU Re-Tuning - Anyone experience of More-BHP in Middlewich ?

sc00byd00byd00

Frank and Beans...............
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've heard mixed reviews about them.

They seem to be alot cheaper than everybody else at £195 for my 2.5TDI 180bhp.

I've been told that they just buy the programs in and flash the ecu but dont do any additional diagnosis to potential problems post upgrade, like running rich etc.........

I'd appreciate some more reviews before I spend my money !

Sc00by - you just missed the Chip'N'Spin rolling road day which is £250 for a remap including before and after rolling road plots and a choice of various maps (200PS "economy", 220PS "fast road" and 240PS "race" for the 180TDI).

A conservative "fast road" remap on that engine will normally get you 205bhp-215bhp and LOT more mid-range torque...

They run that with the exhaust hoses on and pretty sure they check for over-fueling and running lean / rich and more imporantly you can test-drive it before accepting the remap, so you can check for the "black clouds" issue that affects some of the 180TDI's, but you'd have to check that with them for full details of the tests they carry out.

The rolling road sessions is also good for checking that your clutch, turbo and injectors can still handle the intended remap specs (which are well within normal parameters, but can push a well worn component over the edge). Longer term, components are bound to wear out a bit faster, but if you drive the car sensibly it should be fine.

I'm not a fan of the remap without a rolling road.... in order, my choice would be...

1) remap with rolling road
2) reversible / removble chip via OBD2
2) remap without rolling road

Sc00by - you just missed the Chip'N'Spin rolling road day which is £250 for a remap including before and after rolling road plots and a choice of various maps (200PS "economy", 220PS "fast road" and 240PS "race" for the 180TDI).

Next Chip n spin day is early March now, they will have the new dyno's fitted by then too so can do 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs and i believe the new dyno will be more accurate on the quattro models

Next Chip n spin day is early March now, they will have the new dyno's fitted by then too so can do 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs and i believe the new dyno will be more accurate on the quattro models

ooh, that gives me about 4 months to persuade my wife that this is a necessity, and not just a desire i have! I'm sure some new shoes or underwear will make her realise how 'essential' it is that I get this done! :p

Brosmgrove, so a <1hr blast down the M6/M5....

Just use the "Hightower excuse" that was something along the lines of "the car needing to go for a standard re-tune with Audi".... Leave at 6.30am, front of the queue (I think they open at 8am) and you'll be back home by 9am-9.30am and she'll be none the wiser :)

Hightower - did they give a date?!?

Last edited:
Brosmgrove, so a <1hr blast down the M6/M5....

Just use the "Hightower excuse" that was something along the lines of "the car needing to go for a standard re-tune with Audi".... Leave at 6.30am, front of the queue (I think they open at 8am) and you'll be back home by 9am-9.30am and she'll be none the wiser :)

Hightower - did they give a date?!?

Its about 3-4 miles from junction 5 of M5.

Its true though, mine did need a standard re-tune with Audi as it had the wrong map on it! :shrug:

Copied the following from chip n spin thread:

A big thanks to all who came on Saturday. Was a pleasure as usual.

Also just a heads up, we will be running the next day on the 7th March 2010. The new Dyno will be installed and ready to go by then and we will be able to do you all 1/4 mile runs, 0-60time and a few other niceties.

Its about 3-4 miles from junction 5 of M5.

Its true though, mine did need a standard re-tune with Audi as it had the wrong map on it! :shrug:

Copied the following from chip n spin thread:

A big thanks to all who came on Saturday. Was a pleasure as usual.

Also just a heads up, we will be running the next day on the 7th March 2010. The new Dyno will be installed and ready to go by then and we will be able to do you all 1/4 mile runs, 0-60time and a few other niceties.

Thanks! 7th March looks like a Sunday... almost certain to make it to that then!!!

Me too !

Is there an official list of attendees for this ?

Just keep your eyes on the chip n spin section of the forum for when Mark puts the post up for the next tuning day, then its as easy as emailing him with your car details and mobile number, then its a first come first served basis on the day for when you get on the rollers.

It was a quiet one last weekend as i got there about 7.55am and was first one, another guy turned up about 5 mins later and this was his second visit and he said in the summer he got there at 8 and there was a good 6-8 people already there.

I could of been back on the road by 9am but stuck around till lunchtime to see how some of the other guys did, i think because it wasn't busy it was a slowish process taking probably 45mins per car.

I was there (Chip'N'Spin) in the summer.... I got there at 7,30am, and parked at where the SatNav took me, alongside a few VW's, but on the right road, opposite the right unit number, but it WASN'T "ChippedUK" (Chip'N'Spin just borrow their rollers for the day)... turns out that somebody had added another stretch to the industrial estate 100yds away with the same unit numbers (duh!).... as a result, when we telephoned at 8am, were told that they were just around the corner and just opening, the three of us waiting were something like numbers 8, 9 and 10! But I thought it was about 10 mins for a dyno and 20-30mins per car... for a remap, but they had a few of them doing the prep work on the cars (leads in, checking for errors, backing up the existing maps, etc) before they got anywhere near the dyno's...

Last edited:
Just had my car remapped via Ben @ Shark Performance in Mansfield, cannot recommend him enough.

I've only heard good things about Ben, reckon that's most likely where i'll go to get mine done when it's time.

I was there in the summer.... I got there at 7,30am, and parked at where the SatNav took me, alongside a few VW's, but on the right road, opposite the right unit number, but it WASN'T "ChippedUK" (Chip'N'Spin just borrow their rollers for the day)... turns out that somebody had added another stretch to the industrial estate 100yds away with the same unit numbers (duh!).... as a result, when we telephoned at 8am, were told that they were just around the corner and just opening, the three of us waiting were something like numbers 8, 9 and 10! But I thought it was about 10 mins for a dyno and 20-30mins per car... for a remap, but they had a few of them doing the prep work on the cars (leads in, checking for errors, backing up the existing maps, etc) before they got anywhere near the dyno's...

Yeah Mark did say a few people normally park outside the wrong place ;), he now has a quick drive there before coming round to check for anybody.

He did say normally he would go round checking fault codes and downloading the original maps before the cars get on the rollers but as it wasn't going to be a busy day he didnt bother this time, so everything was done on the rollers

I've heard mixed reviews about them.

They seem to be alot cheaper than everybody else at £195 for my 2.5TDI 180bhp.

I've been told that they just buy the programs in and flash the ecu but dont do any additional diagnosis to potential problems post upgrade, like running rich etc.........

I'd appreciate some more reviews before I spend my money !
hi

hi mate had my 1.9 tdi ecu chipped up and it made a little difference since then i have bought a 2.5 tdi avant 2002 i have had this remapped and wow what a difference its like driving a totally different car if you need it done give me a bell and i will give you the no of the guy who did mine in north wales about 10 miles from chester--cheers chris