Temp Gauge issue...

chrisash32

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Spent the past two days detailing the A4 (Will post some pics later on)...

However my friend commented last night that my car took AGES to warm up... we are talking not even at 75*c after 25 miles of driving... Is this normal?

Anyway, this evening when driving home i noticed the temp gauge going crazy... Going upto 90, back down to 75, up to 90, down to 0 and so on... So i tried to get a video... the second i hit record it stopped doing it!!! FUMING!!

Soooo has anyone got any ideas???

Cheers
Chris

Hi, if its always taking a long time to warm up its probably the thermostat thats
sticking open and will need replacing.
With regards to the temperature fluctuating i'd check the wiring around temperature sensor for any corrosion etc, if it all looks fine then its probably a faulty sensor.
Hope this helps

for elimination of a dodgy thermostat, (you didnt state if you had the heating on or off in your message)I would make sure that your heater switch is turned to off when you start your car up, as in these temperatures at the moment its always going to take longer for the engine to warm up to 90, . by doing this ,see if this improves on the time it takes currently to warm up. If it dosnt, then you probably need a new thermostat
on the the fluctuation of the needle it does sound like dodgy wiring or sensor, but always better to check the free/cheaper options first :thumbsup:

Not normal IMO. Change the thermostat and Coolant Temp Sensor. You can get both for less than £20 so worth doing both. I've been using an ebay CTS and it's been as good as gold!

Not normal IMO. Change the thermostat and Coolant Temp Sensor. You can get both for less than £20 so worth doing both. I've been using an ebay CTS and it's been as good as gold!

ebay CTS?

Good shout, worth every penny. CTS is very very easy to change though, shouldn't be any problem. Just make sure engine cold when you do as it will leak (more) coolant when hot...

Good shout, worth every penny. CTS is very very easy to change though, shouldn't be any problem. Just make sure engine cold when you do as it will leak (more) coolant when hot...

thanks for the tip!
what about the thermostat?

Not an impossible DIY job, but fiddly and annoying. Again, I have changed one in the last few months.

Still, it's worth it when it's done, especially if you don't have to pay a garage to do it.

Your temp fluctuation won't be the thermostat, or at least if it is, I'd be very suprised. That will be the CTS I would imagine, voltage on it will be all over the place to cause that. Either that or a wiring failure. But thats again, unusual.

Not an impossible DIY job, but fiddly and annoying. Again, I have changed one in the last few months.

Still, it's worth it when it's done, especially if you don't have to pay a garage to do it.

Your temp fluctuation won't be the thermostat, or at least if it is, I'd be very suprised. That will be the CTS I would imagine, voltage on it will be all over the place to cause that. Either that or a wiring failure. But thats again, unusual.

will the CTS not giving out the right reading to the dash also be affecting the performance of the car?

Potentially yes, the dash output is a by product of the CTS, it's main function is to provide engine temperature data for the ECU, which plays a big part in the engine's fuelling.

If for example the ECU thinks the engine still isn't up to running temp, it will be adding more fuel than it should be, using more fuel, and also a less than desirable fuel air mixture... Resulting in less power output and higher fuel consumption.

Potentially yes, the dash output is a by product of the CTS, it's main function is to provide engine temperature data for the ECU, which plays a big part in the engine's fuelling.

If for example the ECU thinks the engine still isn't up to running temp, it will be adding more fuel than it should be, using more fuel, and also a less than desirable fuel air mixture... Resulting in less power output and higher fuel consumption.

thanks for the help btw!!

Hmm that might explain why my A4 seems to have 'quick' and 'slow' days!

Just shot out and did a scan...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 8E0-920-9xx-8E2.lbl
Part No: 8E0 920 950 M
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. RB4 D42
Coding: 00401
Shop #: --- -----
WAUZZZ----------- AUZ-----------

1 Fault Found:
01039 - Coolant Temperature Sensor (G2)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess that explains my problem!!

Yes indeedy. Get a new one and fire it in, 2 min job really! Might be worth getting one from the stealers though to be honest, they aren't that expensive and I can't vouch for the longevity of the eBay ones...

I have just been to Audi and walked out 80 quid lighter!! Not something i wanted to do!!! Especially when i completely forgot about PJ on the forum for parts!! Literally remembered as i walked out the door!

£40 on the sensor and £40 on a set of mats... which i have just learnt are actually only the front set :(

Oh well, i will learn for next time!

I have just been to Audi and walked out 80 quid lighter!! Not something i wanted to do!!! Especially when i completely forgot about PJ on the forum for parts!! Literally remembered as i walked out the door!

£40 on the sensor and £40 on a set of mats... which i have just learnt are actually only the front set :(

Oh well, i will learn for next time!

But think how much nicer the interior will look with nice, clean, new mats...

You wanted them - tell yourself it's your christmas present to yourself. Thats what I told myself when I bought the S3 the other week! :beerchug:

Can you buy individual mats? I was wondering this the other day. And back on topic, I hope that the sensor works well now, and stops your temp. gauge waving at you.

And I agree...I really want cruise control now, but think i'd rather save for a remap.

you can buy them in pairs.. I wanted a full set and thought i was doing well for £40, only found afterwards that it was just the front set.

Does anyone know where i am looking on the 1.9 TDi to fit this?

Cheers,
Chris

I pulled this off another thread:

It's a sensor on the back of the engine block which commonly fails apparently.

I haven't got any photos of location sadly, but I expect you'll have to break out the jacks to get access. Easy to do once you can get to it though...

Anyone else got photos of CTS location on a TDI 1.9? My bro used to have one but it's sold now annoyingly else I'd of broken out the camera!

CTS is on the back of the 1.9TDi engine about 6" down from the top. Take the engine cover off, unbolt/unclip the boost pipe that runs along the back of the engine and you should be able to get at it from the drivers side of the car. No need to jack it up.

Undo the wiring plug, then the sensor is held in by a clip that goes around the sensor from below. Pull this downwards and the sensor is released (dont drop the clip!!). Once the sensor is out, if the rubber O-ring didnt come out with it then fish this out of the sensor hole with your finger.

Reverse the process to fit the new sensor and top up the lost coolant with G12.

Yes mate, it does indeedy. You need to make sure you get the right one - there are green and black ones....

I think I may be having temp gauge issues too :think: Last night I drove to the supermarket and noticed it was taking ages to warm up. When I next looked at the temp gauge it was actually lower than previously. I dicked about with the heater controls etc, and it seemed to fluctuate (but always when i wasn't looking the cheeky sod).

Anyway, it was still pretty cold by the time I had got to supermarket (10mins). When I came out and travelled home it evantually began to rise. Once it had started to rise it didn't seem to be playing funny beggars anymore.

Is any of this normal? Does the heater have such an effect on the engine temp when it's cold? It was about 4C so pretty nippley.

I have only had the car a few weeks, so can't really say what it used to be like, and i've not given it a good long drive yet either, so can't see whether it gets to 90 and just sits there or not.

thats what mine does!

Going to get round to doing it this weekend.

Did you ever get this fixed chrisash? Just wondering as I am pretty sure I have the same problem now.

I had the initial problems, that I posted a few days ago, and now I have just driven to and from Hull today with issues. Coming back the gauge got up to temperature as fast as i'd expect, then next thing I know, it's sat right back down at 50C for the next 10-15miles, where suddenly is goes up just as fast as your video, and then sits around 90 for the rest of the journey home.

It doesn't seem to fluctuate quite as much as yours in the video, but i'd be surprised it if was another problem.

Did you ever get this fixed chrisash? Just wondering as I am pretty sure I have the same problem now.

I had the initial problems, that I posted a few days ago, and now I have just driven to and from Hull today with issues. Coming back the gauge got up to temperature as fast as i'd expect, then next thing I know, it's sat right back down at 50C for the next 10-15miles, where suddenly is goes up just as fast as your video, and then sits around 90 for the rest of the journey home.

It doesn't seem to fluctuate quite as much as yours in the video, but i'd be surprised it if was another problem.

Not done mine yet, did not want to brave the snow this weekend and freeze my _____ off trying to get it out lol.

Will let you know when i have done it though :)

Cheers
Chris

Thanks fella, just bought one off eBay, hopefully I'll receive it and get it fitted before I head back to work in Jan