What to look for when buying an A4 Cab

steeleez

Reaction score
Hello from a newbie

I'm going to look at an 03 a4 3.0 sport cab tip with 78k today and would welcome any advice on anything specific to this car to look out for, ie should the cambelt change already have been done.

Also are the interior trim kits easy to get hold of, it's got wood trim, which I would be looking to change to something a bit more modern looking.

Thanks in advance

Gary

hi there....quite alot of info already on this subject so might be worth hitting the search box up top (especially on a sunday morning!!)

heres one for starters...

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=71995&highlight=cab*

the trim in them is either wood or colour coded to the trim piano black, indigo blue etc. you can fit the later s-line ally trims but they are as rare as rocking horse do-do, i've been trawling ebay and breakers for 12 months and haven't found a set yet so i'm actually in the proces of wrapping mine in brushed metal effect vinyl, looking great so far :)

Last edited:
Hi, the Cambelt should have been changed at 70k. If not the Stafford dealer offers it for £350 on eBay.
The tiptronic gearboxes are prone to having serious problems, do a search on the forum and i'm sure you will find some details to help you with that part. Someone with actually with one maybe along shortly with some advice.

As for the inlay's - if wanting to change for brushed ally or carbon these are very few and far between on eBay and your looking around £150-200 for the ally and £200-250 for the carbon.

As for the car itself check to see what options it has. You can add most things after but I would get one with heated seats for sure (just means you will be able to have the roof of more offen) Check the operation of the roof and check that the windows actually go up under the roof. Especially when closing the door as they drop a little when opening.

Check when driving it for the roof catches rattling as they may need to be replaced which is around £100 ish per side I think! A part from that just check what the service history is and if it's been looked after.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Don't rush into it if your not 100% sure as it took about 9 weeks to get mine and I must have looked at about 40!

Thanks for the replies, like a typical newbie I didn't do any searches, done a search and found loads of threads :thumbsup:

I ended up not going to see the car, it was in a main ford dealership and seemed to be up for good money, I rang the salesman and after a bit of craic, he told me that there was a problem with the boot lid and that it wouldn't open, also said the car was in fair nic for its age, didn't sound to promissing to me so I've left it alone.

Thanks for the replies, like a typical newbie I didn't do any searches, done a search and found loads of threads :thumbsup:

I ended up not going to see the car, it was in a main ford dealership and seemed to be up for good money, I rang the salesman and after a bit of craic, he told me that there was a problem with the boot lid and that it wouldn't open, also said the car was in fair nic for its age, didn't sound to promissing to me so I've left it alone.

Sounds like a wise move but it maybe worth just going to have a look anyway because then you have a look at other parts of it and you then have something to compare it against.

deffo try to get one with the silver ally interior trim as there a swine to get hold off, people just end up putting stickers on theres to compensate, ask the other two above ! lmfao:blow:

joking aside mate, at the age your looking at there going to have little niggles, as long as the main things all add up like good history, good bodywork, paint etc, use anything else as a bargaining tool and sort bits yourself with the cash you get off it.
lots of stuff can be retro fitted really easily as im sure youve now read.
my main regret was no heated seats, which is a bitch to retro so dont skimp on the essentials.