Hot and Cold Heater A4 tdi.

chris a4

Reaction score
a4 hot and cold heater !
Hi, Can anyone shine a light on my heater/climate fault ? The car is an a4 2002 b5 tdi. The temp gauge only rises to around 70 , econ light on dash will not switch off , fan is on from start up, and the real poser , both settings on hi on the climate. Passenger side all vents hot air, drivers side all vents cold air . had a diagnostic which shows r/hand flap acctuator fault. Took out glove box and found motors ok . took out drivers lower shelf but no sign of any motors.

Do all the motors on n/s operate all vents ?
Can thermostat be faulty ?

Really need some help people, getting cool out there ! Thanks in advance.
Chris a4.

hi im new to audi but iv had my heater probs i think the motors are just one side
and iv found they do stick shut or open as my top one did i think if you can just take a few of the motor arms of like i did and clean them up and wigal the flaps by hand this may help to free them up if thats the prob hope this helps

cheers simon, will try that in the morning, just as a matter of interest , after you fixed your fault did the temp gauge alter to 90 or could that still be a faulty stat ?

regards , chris.

i didnt have a problem with that side of it just the shuters sticking
but im thinking its your stat thats doing that side of it

The temp setting for passenger side is the left lower servo with the red arm, remove glovebox to access. the one that does the drivers side is on the drivers side, remove drivers lower trim to access. Remove the motor and put 12 volts to pins 5 and 6, reverse polarity to go other way. Servos sometimes stick. Not related to coolant temp, probably your stat.

hi, sounds like a senor fault to me. im not sure on your car, but today i had to change the rear water flange on the block as it was split. once i had changed it and tried to bleed the engine up, i notice the fan was on without the engine being hot...after scratching my head, i rang a friend at AUDI, he told me the temp senor in the flange goes faulty and results in fan running.

I changed this then, proceed to bleed the coolant, remember to open the bleed nipple and the matrix pipe pin hole. (or you'll get air locks) *TIP* if you give the engine gas and the heaters get hot, you got an airlock.

p.s i got a 2001 2.0SE A4

hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, so you can access the units with just the lower trim removed, no dash removal ? would it be safe to assume that it is the red arm that operates the flap like on the passenger side ?

cheers chris.