Volks AutosBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

Heated mirrors..

Hello,

Is it possible to retrofit heated mirrors to my 2001 B6 A4, its a TDi 130 SE and has the wires in place for heated mirrors.
    I did check if there was voltage on the wires the other night when the rear window demister was on but there was nothing. Is there a temperature for when they will come on, or do they need to be programmed with VAG COM?

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

2. # ADS
    ADS

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Are you sure you don't have them already fitted to your car. ?

6th Gear

Status
    Out of interest, if you had them as std. How would you turn em on?

CMD

Status
    I don't think you can turn them ON/OFF. My switch is standard L/R and defrost when i start the car up. I have alway's kept mirror switch in the central position.

6th Gear

Status
    Ah automatic then? I assume the sport would have them as std?

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Mine come on with the heated rear screen for sure, I've never noticed a minimum temperature, but there might be one.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

CMD

Status
    Best way is stick the car in a frezzer...Only joking, when we have a frost check to see if they self clear

2nd Gear

Status
    Afaik there is a little temp sensor on the back of the mirror glass and as long as the temp is low enough they come on when you use the heated rear window.
    FOR SALE... 2007 Rns-e (sds), 2009 OEM bluetooth module, Flat bottom TTRS MFSW, steering wheel control module and slipring. All in Classifieds, Pm me if interested.

RS6 Avant, Milltek non res, Forge, ITG, Bilstein, Hotchkis.

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers for all the replys guys,

CMD, I've tried a few times to clear them but nothing happens. When I took the mirror out the other day the two wires were coiled up in the casing, with no connections on the glass.

When I measured the voltage, the outside temp was about 9 degrees, with the heated rear window on. And no voltage.

The wires so far as I can see come from the door control module, which controls everything in the door via the bus, which is why I wondered if they need programming.

I'll try again when the outside temp is 4.5 degrees, the interior heater comes on then so maybe the mirrors will to.

I'll keep you all posted as to how I get on, it isn't that cold here at the mo..

Cheers,

Mark

Neutral

Status
    Are you sure the wires are for the heated mirrors? Could be for the Auto dim function? Do you have an auto dim rear view mirror? The auto dim glass is very expensive so may have been replaced with normal glass at some point in the cars life? I dont know if heated mirrors or auto dim are fitted as standard. Mine has both and there are two sets of connectors. mirrors also seem to demist along with the rear screen regardless of tempreture....
    52 A4 Avant 1.8T Sport Quattro
    Metallic Atlas Grey
    Leather/Alcantara, Xenon, F&R PDC, Ambient lighting, Storage pack, Interior lighting pack

Shuddup Foooool!!

Status
    Im sure they work with the Heated screen as James says but like Boozehound said aswell that they might have been changed in the past for just some cheaper non heated glass. I did the same when i managed to crack both of mine when painting the Mirror cases, I bought some Ebay Tenner jobs, stuck them over the existing cracked glass and they still worked as heated due to the originals still giving off heat. Im sure Audi wanted 26 per mirror and at the time I didnt want to pay that.

Im sure you'd feel a little warmth on the mirror if you turned the heated screen on obviously when you connect them up to the correct glass.

1st Gear

Status
    The wires are both black and there is only one pair so I'm guessing they're for heated mirrors. The cars not fitted with an auto dimming rear mirror, although I did buy one from Ebay and wouldn't mind fitting it at some point. Maybe I'll just go for it and buy the heated glasses anyway, hopefully they'l work..

Cheers guys..

1st Gear

Status
    Hi all,

Have just got round to checking out the heated mirror saga, I removed the mirror yesterday and connected a multimeter to the two black wires, and nothing, engine was running, rear demist was on, temp was 4.5 degrees, mirror switch was in neutral. I even tried connecting a 5 watt sidelight bulb, definatly no power there...

Has anyone got any more suggestion...... please....

Cheers guys..

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    My manual says (englisch 5.01, 221.581.8E5.20, p.80)....... "The mirror surfaces are heated (depending on the outside temperature) when the rear window heater is switched on."

May be they only come on when the DIS shows the "*ICE" warning?

Want to test mine too as rewired my heated rear window demist through a slave relay as have fitted a newer B7 A/C unit.

Maybe it's just not cold enough yet?

The circuits show each mirror element is controlled via the respective door control units, so they will rely on a CAN-BUS signal from the [08 Auto HVAC] A/C unit >> [46 Central Conv.] Convenience Module >> Door Units to switch ON.
    (Can confirm the mirror heater wires are two black wires for each mirror.)

Getting colder over the next couple of days - will do some more testing!
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

Status
    Just thought I would check my wing mirrors out now - although car sheltered in garage (approx. time 17:45).

Outside (garage) temperature says 6.5 degrees C on DIS.
    Mirror switch set to middle position, (i.e. no mirror selected.)
    Put Rear Window Demist ON and wing mirrors got warm.

Did a bit more investigating, with VAG-COM/VCDS connected looking at 46-Central Convenience Module, Measuring Block Group 12 (Driver) & Group 13 (Passenger)

Turned off Engine removed Key - left for ~5 minutes to allow mirrors to cool down.

Restarted Engine and monitored above.
    Both Heated Wing Mirrors indicated as OFF.
    Few minutes no change.
    Turned the Rear Window Demist ON.
    Both Heated Wing mirrors now indicate ON - mirrors confirmed as warming!
    Left for a few minutes - no change.

Turned the Rear Window Demist OFF.
    Both Heated Wing mirrors still indicate ON.
    After ~20 secs, noticed that Drivers Wing mirror turned OFF, few seconds ON, few seconds OFF, etc. Passenger Wing mirror turned off.
    Drivers mirror seemed to pulse on/off with no real frequency for a minute or so.
    Then both mirrors seemed to stay OFF.

Will try again tomorrow and see if can get a better understaning of on/off modulations after rear demist switched off.
    Last edited by Woorlord; 14th December 2009 at 18:54.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera

Status
    Tried again this morning and monitored above Measuring Blocks in more detail.

In the Garage the temperature was 4.5 - 5 degrees C (*ICE warning on DIS)

Mirrors do nothing until Rear Demist is switched ON.
    Measuring block for wing mirrors switch to ON and mirrors get warm - no surprise.
    After a while I noticed that any mirror may independently switch OFF and then back to ON - I guess the heater is maintaining an average temperature by modulating the heater on and off and on, etc.
    Switching the Rear demist OFF, the mirrors continue to modulate ON/OFF/ON.

So for me all working fine I think.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Mine come on with the heated rear screen.
    Ditto :-)
    Monza Silver A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro (170) - Heated Alcantara Leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Folding Door Miirrors, Electric Tailgate, Privacy Glass, etc

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by demus View Post
    I even tried connecting a 5 watt sidelight bulb, definatly no power there...

Has anyone got any more suggestion...... please....

Cheers guys..
    You need to connect a higher power bulb, if the control module doesn't detect a low enough resistance it doesn't turn on the volts.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

1st Gear

Status
    Nice one thanks guys.. cheers for the investigation Warlord..think I need to invest in VAG-COM/VCDS.. I'm guessing you didnt see any options in there to disable them.

PetrolDave, I'll try a 21watt indicator bulb and see what happens.

I'll keep you all posted, thanks again guys its appreciated..

Mark

1st Gear

Status
    well if its a standard fit I too would like to work out how they work, Ive been watch/reading this thread since it started and trying all the suggested ways to get them to work but they still dont work. so if anyone comes up with a way I for one would like to know how, thanks in advance and awaiting the answers
    Sorry the high jack this thread by the way!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Woorlord View Post
    No options available as Heated Mirrors are standard on all A4/B6 models.
    Although I did check this first just in case!!
    Ooops! CORRECTION.....

No options obvious to set with VAG-COM to enable or disable Heated mirrors.

Heated Mirrors are standard on A4/B6 SE, Sport & S4 models or available with additional Comfort Pack according to July 2003 Specification & Priceleist. see pages 16 & 17 may be different on pre-July2003 models?

2nd Gear

Status
    If the wiring is in the mirrors from the factory perhaps you need to put in a fuse and relay which would be put in if ordered from factory. I just checked mine again and then come on with the heated rear screen switch whatever the temp. My old B5 only came on when the ice waning was on the dash hence the sensors on the back of the mirror glass.
    FOR SALE... 2007 Rns-e (sds), 2009 OEM bluetooth module, Flat bottom TTRS MFSW, steering wheel control module and slipring. All in Classifieds, Pm me if interested.

RS6 Avant, Milltek non res, Forge, ITG, Bilstein, Hotchkis.

5th Gear

Status
    Well, mine is 2002 and mirrors are not heated 100%.
    I've been checking them every time it gets colder and I can see nothing.

6th Gear

Status
    Ooops! CORRECTION.....

Heated Mirrors are standard on A4/B6 SE, Sport & S4 models or available with additional Comfort Pack according to July 2003 Specification & Priceleist. see pages 16 & 17 may be different on pre-July2003 models?
    It must be, mines a sport 2001 and the glass does not clear.

3rd Gear

Status
    I thought they just work on the HRW switch. My car spends most of the time in the garage so I rarely need to use the HRW or heated mirrors.

If it's any use a colleague has a B7 cab' and he fitted heated mirror glasses to his non heated mirrors, connected the 2 lucar plugs and they work fine.
    A4 Avant S-Line quattro - Avus Silver/Silver Half Leather *240ps*346nm* - a few choice mods. Now Stared up ;-)

MDA
    sploorer

Status
    Ooops! CORRECTION.....

cheers for the link
    i dont think mine has them tho
    mines a 2002 1.8t se
    hmmm

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bubstar View Post
    I thought they just work on the HRW switch.
    On Audis that's true but on VW and Skoda the mirror adjustment switch must also be in the centre position for the heated mirrors to heat.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    digressing a bit but bear with please

Looking at the link to the standard equipment pdf

can anyone tell me what the twin level luggage floor system is in the avant

do you fold up the flooring in a way that creates a shelf or am i barking up the wrong one?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by swarcup View Post

do you fold up the flooring in a way that creates a shelf or am i barking up the wrong one?
    You're barking up the wrong one.

The centre of the floor is two pieces of wood hinged together, that folds up to reveal another shallow area underneath the main load space.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by swarcup View Post
    digressing a bit but bear with please

Looking at the link to the standard equipment pdf

Lazybones - start a new thread!

Reidy

Status

noddy tt

Hi Guys i asked the same question a while back. Due to the frosty weather i thought i would get the volt meter out again......low and behold i cracked my perfectly good mirror glass . I have now ordered a heated type replacement.
    The volt meter showed nothing with car running and rear demister on so heres hoping it has something to do with resistance. Mines a 53 plate A4 CONVERTIBLE SE i hope this works cos i really not having my heated mirrors i had in my TT.

I will post the results when i get the glass and test them.
    If it doesnt work i will be tempted to fit a flame thrower kit to each mirror...Hot Damm Hot....

1st Gear

Status
    I've just finally tried hooking up a 21 watt bulb to the heater wires.... and nothing, two bulbs... still nothing.

I'll be interested to know if your heated glass heats up Noddy, the two bulbs I used pull getting on for 2 amps a piece, but maybe the heater pulls more than 4 amps....

Speaking of flame throwers, it can sometimes help if you warm the glass gently with a hair drier before removing it, can make it a little less brittle, let us know how you get on....

Think I'll move on to HIDs and rear ambient lights, I know they will work!!

Cheers guys..

Reidy

Status

Heated mirrors

Hi, just got my heated replacement glass from ebay. Fitted both spade connectors to the mirror clipped on the glass and hey presto NOTHING.
    i tried moving the door mirrors to the centre, put on the rear window demister still cold. I may have just wasted 18 quid but at least i know . if anyone can tell me if the wiring loom has a connection procedure please let me know.

2 flame thower kits have now been ordered

Happy New Year

BahnStormer

Status
    hmmm... should both mirrors heat up: I've not tested mine before,but I did notice that the passenger side wasn;t clearing very quickly: have a quick check and the driver's side is nice and toasty, but the passenger's side isn't, at all!

I guess it could jsut be a fuse or mayeb the glass has been replaced with the cheaper non-heated one
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

Neutral

Status
    Mine heat up every morning auto when i start the car they are warm to touch, all winter they have been coming on even during the day so i think mine come on regardless of temp, will know for sure in summer, A3 1.8T sport s reg.

6th Gear

Status
    AFAIK the heated mirrors are supposed to come on when you turn on the heated rear window regardless of the position of the mirror adjustment switch (on Audis) but only if the temperature is less than 12 Celsius.

BahnStormer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    AFAIK the heated mirrors are supposed to come on when you turn on the heated rear window regardless of the position of the mirror adjustment switch (on Audis) but only if the temperature is less than 12 Celsius.

I can confirm they come on as soon as you put the rear window demister on... warm to the touch within a couple of minutes (well, the driver's one is!).
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lostbok View Post
    I can confirm they come on as soon as you put the rear window demister on... warm to the touch within a couple of minutes (well, the driver's one is!).
    What's the temperature on the DIS out of curiosity when you did this?

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    + 1 on that.

Both mine heat up within seconds
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

BahnStormer

Status
    What's the temperature on the DIS out of curiosity when you did this?
    Tested it on my drive this morning, it was minus three (I wanted to check when it wouldn't be borderline ....
    LostBok/BahnStormer77