2.5 TDI 180 mpg

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
What am i likely to expect?
I've come from a particually bad 2.5 v6 petrol, so i doubt it'll be any worse.

There are a few topics floating round already RE this chap. Best bet is to hit up the 'search' function up top there..

Think you'd average mid 30s? Not sure.

Just hit the search section and feeling embarased i asked lol.
Cheers though bud.

Bit new round here.

I get 36 on mixed local driving with a tuning box fitted, get more on a run.

i get about 130miles to £20 around town and about 170 on a steady motorway run about 80mph,which is loads better than my 2.8 bmw (petrol)

PHP:
Date          ltrs   gallons   Trip
09/11/2009   20     4.40       0
11/11/2009   20     4.40     164
13/11/2009   20     4.40     275
19/11/2009   20     4.40     460
22/11/2009   20     4.40     672
23/11/2009   10     2.20 
26/11/1900   20     4.40     925

this is my little spreadsheet - to keep track of my mileage (since I replaced my intercooler)

as you can see I have put 28 gallons and at the moment done 925 miles -- but I still have a 3rd of a tank, I think I can easily do another 125 so thats 1050 / 28 -- about 37 mpg

I have a 2.5 Quattro TDI -- but I do drive like I own it - not stolen it

Last edited:
anything from about 25mpg (town driving, lots of stop-start traffic light GP's, etc).... to 50mpg (55mph "driving Miss Daisy" style)....

normal mixed use, a little bit of motorway and mostly reasonably enthusiastic use of A roads and moderate town traffic: 33-37mpg... Only "test" I've really done before that is a 100mile run at a cruise controlled 70mph = 40mpg.

God 40mpg? My 200bhp v6 petrol vectra was getting 38mpg at 70-80 lancaster to le mans.
I've had my little test, 136 miles of hammering it, a few nice miles, bit of motorway, 20 miles of stop start motorway traffic.
31mpg

was getting 33mpg overall, fitted dpt tuning box now getting 36

Which tuning box can you suggest? I'm thinking about buying one, and if it makes a 3mpg difference, it may be well worth it.

Which tuning box can you suggest? I'm thinking about buying one, and if it makes a 3mpg difference, it may be well worth it.

Click the link in my sig - £400 new but I got mine secondhand for a quarter of that ;)

God 40mpg? My 200bhp v6 petrol vectra was getting 38mpg at 70-80 lancaster to le mans.
I've had my little test, 136 miles of hammering it, a few nice miles, bit of motorway, 20 miles of stop start motorway traffic.
31mpg
Just because the v6 is diesel, does not mean its as ecconomical as a 4 pot diesel but it does have masses of torque and it will do 45 Mpg at speeds of 100Mph wich on a high powered petrol you will see the petrol gauge drop as you push it allong. The v6 diesel as soo smooth to drive on the motorway and will pull in 6th gear efortlessly from 40Mph or you can drop a few cogs if you want to move faster !

Just because the v6 is diesel, does not mean its as ecconomical as a 4 pot diesel but it does have masses of torque and it will do 45 Mpg at speeds of 100Mph wich on a high powered petrol you will see the petrol gauge drop as you push it allong. The v6 diesel as soo smooth to drive on the motorway and will pull in 6th gear efortlessly from 40Mph or you can drop a few cogs if you want to move faster !
I wasn't expecting 60mpg lol I'm sure it'll be fine, i bought it for abit of poke and half decent mpg

I'm also a big fan of this engine (when its running right!) and agree with everything you say, but please can you explain the 45mpg at 100mph to me!

I'm also a big fan of this engine (when its running right!) and agree with everything you say, but please can you explain the 45mpg at 100mph to me!
FWD do just that ! How do i know ? I do have a quattro a4 v6 tdi, a c5 audi a6 FWD and also a vw passat 2.5 tdi wich is also FWD and they both do 45 Mpg(the quattro does a bit less due to the drag of the drivetrain) at speeds of 100Mph. Been driving tens of thousands of miles on europeean motorways and the quattro returns 600miles on a tankfull and the a6 returns 700 miles on a tank. The diesel fuel in Germany does make the car run really well and you cannot stop pushing-it. Also, having cruise control does help on big motors as you dont need to take it out of 6th gear and the engine will pull the car allong even on steep gradients. Contrary to the smaller displacement diesel engines(1.9Tdi for example) the v6 does not burn much more fuel at 100Mph than on 80Mph as the speed at wich the engine spins barelly increase by 200rpms...

Last edited:
Ok I hadn't realised you were referring to the fwd model. Interesting quattro costs as much as 8-10 mpg.

Ok I hadn't realised you were referring to the fwd model. Interesting quattro costs as much as 8-10 mpg.

erm.... not certain about this, but can somebody check the specs pretty sure the lower power V6 TDI's are completely different injection systems and i've got a funny feeling one is 24v and the other is 30v?

If that is the case that would explain the huge difference in fuel economy and width of the power-band... which I'm pretty sure is a lot more than the relatively small difference between a 1.8T FWD/Quattro....

Both the 163 and the 180 engine have "four valve technology" according to my book.

I'd have said the 2.5 180 is 30 valve that suggests 5 valve bud?

Yeah I always thought they were 30v to be honest, but not according to the Audi range brochure (which might be wrong :search:)

james is right 24v i had the rocker covers off the other day,found a rocker arm in pieces in the sump. counted 12 on each side. must admit i thought 30v until then. the 2.4, 2.6 and 3.0 litre v6 petrol are 30v

I think parkers is to blame for this one! It used to say my old v6 was a 20v

I think parkers is to blame for this one!

**Sigh** you're probably right.... :unsure:

I still think that there's more than jsut a tuning differnece between the engines... the Quattro has a lot more usable toque and a lot worse fuel economy, so there much be more to it?

All v6 tdi engines begineing with A..(AFB,AKN,AKE,AYM, etc.) are exactly the same mechanicaly, just different map and nozzles between them(later AKE-180Bhp had also a better designed turbocharger and slightly lowered compression ratios). The later starting with B..(BAU,BDG,etc.) have different heads with cam rollers wich dont wear as bad as the previous design with rocker arms. The 150Bhp engines had 310Nm on tap, the later 180Bhp had 380Nm on tap and they were fitted only on a6 quattro's from 2001-on and a4 quattro b6 from 2001-on. The b5 never had the 180Bhp fitted as standard...either quattro or FWD. There were also many variations of the injector pumps-some had a bigger plunger-mainly fitted on quattro's and slightly higher injection pressures(on cars fitted with auto gearboxes). The differences between FWD and quattro models is as high as 200Kg depending on spec. I sold a low spec a4 b5 V6 tdi- 1350Kg (NO aircon, just sunroof (!),rear manual windows) and that used to do 50Mpg+. Also the FWD have a bigger tank as well compared to quattros. The FWD also accelerate quicker to 60Mph than a quattro (unless its bad weather) and have a higher top speed. For example, the a4 v6 tdi quattro avant i have weighs 1570Kg and the c5 audi a6 v6 tdi saloon i also have weighs less -1550kg. You would expect the c5 to weigh more as its fully loaded: dual climate control, better insulation, bigger boot,etc. The more weight you hauling around, the worse the fuel ecconomy.

Last edited:
Audi quoted figures for the 2.5 are:

0-60

q 8.4
fwd 8.8

Top Speed

q 140 mph
fwd 141 mph

Both for a manual transmission.

I averaged 33mpg driving enthusiastically around Scotland for 3 years. Since i came to Cornwall it dropped to maybe 31 due to the firkin traffic and winding lanes which mean i hardly ever get into top gear. The slowly expiring fuel pump and top end led that to decline further to around 27. I'm getting high 20's now but thats largely due to me having fun with the latest mods, bit difficult to tell as i hardly get through a tankfull at the moment without another tweak and test session. Hopefully things will settle down over the next few months (until my finances draw breath and i find a bigger lift pump). We have a 1000 mile Scottish trip planned for New Year, i'll be interested to see what i get cruising on the motorway.

Audi quoted figures for the 2.5 are:

0-60

q 8.4
fwd 8.8

Top Speed

q 140 mph
fwd 141 mph

Both for a manual transmission.

Mine got to 143 on the sat nav before i started the latest round of mods. 0-60? Mine only really starts to accelerate when i get to 60:undwech:. I must get son no1 to video the speedo so we can get an idea of acceleration times.

I will take those figures with a pinch of salt ! I had me avant quattro at over 145Mpg on german autobahn(with the sat-nav to back me speedo wich was out 15%) with just an AKE transplanted engine(180Bhp) + a PSI tunning box. By the way, mine is the b5 model wich audi only list at mustering 120Mph !

Mine got to 143 on the sat nav before i started the latest round of mods. 0-60? Mine only really starts to accelerate when i get to 60:undwech:. I must get son no1 to video the speedo so we can get an idea of acceleration times.

Lol, your's isn't exactly 'out of the box' though is it?! ;)