Battery light keeps flickering on dash????

codrock

Reaction score
got a 2002 a4 avant,driving sound as a pound , then all of a sudden radio went off!! then came back on.Didd this A couple of times,its not doing that anymore, but....the battery light keeps flickering on the dash.This battery was fitted only about 8 weeks ago also...

any ideas????:uhm:

I'd check the connections to the battery are nice and tight and not slightly loose,a nd disconnecting ever so lightly on knocks and bumps.

Hope this helps.

I'd also check your alternator is charging, if you have a voltmeter you can check the battery voltage, I think you should get around 13 volts.
You can also try turning on all the loads (lights etc) and turn the wipers on full if they start to slow down its possibly the alternator as its just running on battery voltage.

Check the alternator output, normal and under load with a multimeter. Ideally you want to see between 13.6v and 14.2v as long as the output voltage is within these readings it should be ok. Buy under load i mean with as many consumers on as possible i.e lights, heater, rear window etc. Also while doing the load test keep an eye on the battery warning light to see if it glows if it does the alternator could be on its way out but also make sure the drive belt is tight and not slipping. If you're really keen and can borrow an amps clamp you could also check the current output.