Is the new S4 recommended?

• Thread starter imported_ccc880
  • Start date
I

imported_ccc880

Hi. I am very interested in buying the new S4, but after reading through some posts in this forum I have found that some people are dissappointed with it. I really love the car and would love to buy it, but I really couldn't do it if I felt that it was going to have problems. I understand that all cars occasionally have something wrong with them, and that there are always lemons, but in general, would you recommend the new S4? If not, why? Thanks a lot for any help!

I would recommend the B5 S4. Funner to drive. But if you ask some new S4 owners in this forum, most of them seem pretty happy with their cars. You can also try to look for an RS4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

G.

Do fat ladies sing?

PS I've got a B6 S4 and have had a B5 S4. The B6 corners far better and is a bit faster. Brakes work too, unlike the B5.

I'm very happy with my B6 S4 overall. It may not immediately feel as quick as the B5 but I think that's because of the more linear power delivery. Once you get used to the sight of other cars growing rapidly smaller in the rear-view mirror, you start to appreciate the effortlessness of the car.

My only gripes are:

The size of the fuel tank. This is, of course, related to the mpg but I expected low figures there. However, I get a little frustrated at having to fill up every four days or so.

The very high clutch. Other people have no problem with this but, if you do, I would seriously consider the Tiptronic.

But these are pretty minor complaints compared to the combination of pace with permanent 4WD, rear doors and that Q car effect.

I had the B5, Now got the B6 with AMD Stage 3 Mods. Other than the 'throttle problems', which are still ongoing, as discussed here http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,10,15,105,200,900,1000&Board=b6chassis&Number=77624&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1I'm reasonably happy!

Would I reccomend the new S4, as is, unmodified?? NO! It is only the increased performance of the modifications that make the other problems bearable ...............

[ QUOTE ]
AndrewRichmond said:
Do fat ladies sing?

PS I've got a B6 S4 and have had a B5 S4. The B6 corners far better and is a bit faster. Brakes work too, unlike the B5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you can work on these very easily.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G.

If you guys were to choose between a modified B5 TWIN TURBO S4 or a modified B6 S4... what you go for??? and why???

G.

I'm new to this board but have been a S4 owner for over a year now. It was the most extravagant vehicle purchase I've ever made but the grin started from the first test drive and hasn't gone away yet! In fact, if a few days go by without driving it I miss it badly.

So far 9k miles and no problems except the DBW throttle. I've just had the flash upgrade to the ECU done by the local dealer and what a difference. All the niggles with dead spots, inconsitent power etc have pretty well disappeared; launches are a breeze. I'd thoroughly recommend all owners to get the Audi upgrade if you haven't gone done the AMD route.

As for some of the technical problems reported (particularly on US boards)concerning the engine and transmission(oil seals, 1st/reverse select, inlet manifold bolts) I've been told by the local dealer that Euro spec engines are built by Cosworth in the UK whilst US spec. come from elsewhere. Therefore UK buyers should not have experienced these problems (although I'm not so sure about the transmission issue).

So my advice go buy it if you want a classy, slightly understated, daily useable pocket rocket.

Mine's due its first service soon - can you tell me what the ECU upgrade is and exactly what to ask for? Ta

Me too .......... Whats this ECU upgrade??? My dealer doesn't seem too be aware of any issues, dispite my repeated reporting of these problems!! I have hade the AMD stage 3 mods, but I'm told these do not alter the FBW control?????

[ QUOTE ]
caiss4 said:
I'm new to this board but have been a S4 owner for over a year now. It was the most extravagant vehicle purchase I've ever made but the grin started from the first test drive and hasn't gone away yet! In fact, if a few days go by without driving it I miss it badly.

So far 9k miles and no problems except the DBW throttle. I've just had the flash upgrade to the ECU done by the local dealer and what a difference. All the niggles with dead spots, inconsitent power etc have pretty well disappeared; launches are a breeze. I'd thoroughly recommend all owners to get the Audi upgrade if you haven't gone done the AMD route.

As for some of the technical problems reported (particularly on US boards)concerning the engine and transmission(oil seals, 1st/reverse select, inlet manifold bolts) I've been told by the local dealer that Euro spec engines are built by Cosworth in the UK whilst US spec. come from elsewhere. Therefore UK buyers should not have experienced these problems (although I'm not so sure about the transmission issue).

So my advice go buy it if you want a classy, slightly understated, daily useable pocket rocket.

[/ QUOTE ]Ditto to all of the above.

Full tank is too small, unless you tickle it about, steering is a bit dead, not Lotus sharp but not bad, for extra fun put Tdi badges on the back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Drive an M3 and a S4 in the same day, go home go back to the Audi garage with your cheque book,

You must have a heavier right foot than me. I know there are some drivetrain differences between the cab and the saloon/avant plus a cab with roof down probably affects the mpg but I've got a lifetime average mpg of 20 mpg and if I'm really good on a decent run (not m'way) I can even attain 25mpg.

Stop/start town driving generally returns about 18mpg.

[ QUOTE ]
caiss4 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

What are some of the U.S board sites?

As far as the B5 vs B6 comparisons I don't think it's any contest. If you like stop light to stop light power and long-term driveability then the new car is for you. I know the older twin-turbo car can be modified for less money and made to be as fast as the V8 car. The problem is that with a turbo motor there are problems which a naturally aspirated V8 just don't have. Some of these are, added heat and engine breakdown and turbo lag. The added boost of modifying the turbos is a recipe for internal engine breakdown. Another thing to think about is that the V8 car is designed to take well over 300 ft/lbs of torque where as the turbo car is not. By heavily modifying the turbo car you are setting the powertrain up for failure. There is not replacement for displacement! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif