Windscreen washer woes

necroeire

Reaction score
So yesterday I try my washer and the wipers move but no water comes out, so when I get home i pop back out to fill the water tank and it's already 3/4 full. So I top it up and try the washer again and still nothing.

when the car is off and ignition is on I can hear a little click when i pull the stalk for the washer. When i ge the mrs to do this with my head under the bonnet I hear nothing, but the wipers do kick in as normal. So can anyone point me to where the washer pump is? I've had a nose around and am not able to identify it. I know what they look like as I've seen them on ebay but I certianly cant find the thing.

Car is a B6 2001 a4 1.9tdi.
Cheers fellas,
Dave

The washer pump is at the bottom of the washer bottle.
Easiest way to access it is to take out the n/s headlight (4x Torx screws) - you can get to the motor easily then.

Here is a picture I have on file when I fitted headlight washers - that's the right "blue" pump. The standard windscreen washer pump is the black one on the right - that's the one you need to check out.

Check you get volts to the motor (12v) connector - use a 12v test lamp or voltage meter to check with the motor disconnected.

Also the motor will just pull out vertically from the bottle rubber grommet - beware your washer bottle will drain out when you do this!!
Audi charge around £30 for a new pump. (Saloon: 1T0 955 651 / Avant: 1T0 955 651 A)

06_InCar.jpg

Come to think of it I replaced my front bulbs recently and don't remember using the washer since. I may have accidentially knocked something out or something similarily stupid. Cheers fella for the piccy and part numbers. I'll go out shortly once the rain stops to check it out.

How do i get to connections of bumper headlight washers. My screenwash is leaking somewhere on one of the connections? I pulled out the water bottle by removing wheel arch cover and checked this for leaks not anywhere there so by deduction thing it is where the headlamp washers connect.

Do i need to remove bumper?

Headlights out and a lot of patience!
With a good torch you should be able to see the headlight washer jet units.
There is a small plastic circlip that latches the hose fitting to the jet in each case.
Crimped hose rings are used to secure hoses to fittings - either replace these if leakeing with Audi crimp rings or a Jubilee clip from any motoring outlet.

You may also want to remove the engine floor pan cover to give a little more access and it's easier to retrieve dropped items.

Just bought a spare pump from ebay for around 20 quid. Had another go today finding it very difficult to get to the pump. Took out the passenger side headlight and was still unable to get to it. I was able to feel the flexi tube going to it though and it was wet, not sure if this was from the rain or not but since the washer is making no noise at all and the reservoir was half empty I'm guessing that the pump is cracked.

Has anyone got ELSA Win or whatever it's called now for a 2001 A4 Tdi (B6)? If you do could you post a picture of the assembly?

As there are other engine bits in the way and I'm not too sure if I can take them out or not to get to the pump. I did see on an american forum that they removed the wheel liner but no idea what engine they had.

Please help, weather is bad for driving with no washer.....

Removing the wheel liner will give you access to the back of the washer bottle and fastenings keeping the bottom part of reservoir in place. I found it very easy to remove the complete bottle for a full clean and retrofit of 2nd motor for headlamp washers.

Surprised you can't get to the pump with the headlight removed as per my picture above - although picture was taken with my front bumper off!?
Got any pictures to show your setup?

Checked Bentley Manual and all engines same setup for A4/S4 - only RS4 slightly different. Can pdf you the pages if you PM me your email address.

Last edited:
Does the rear wiper work from the same pump? My rear wiper won't squirt for me :(

thats more likely to be a blocked pin or a pipe thats popped off!
This has happened on ALL of my VAG cars...

Feel for wet carpet etc etc, or look for leaks under the car when spraying.