Proper Shifting Technique

Seifer780

Reaction score
So I'm getting frustrated with the way I shift when other people seem to do it effortlessly. Whenever I shift gears, it seems that I always manage to blip the throttle and that doesn't really impress people.

Example: Start off in first, off gas, in clutch at 3,200 RPM's, RPM's go about 200 or so higher. Then when I actually get it into second, out clutch, on gas, you feel the thud of not-smoothness. Not hard, but enough to annoy ya. This is especially pronounced when I'm speed shifting.

Help?? :)

Mate if i am reading your post correctly you seem to be adding revs going up the gears, which is why you are not matching road/wheel speed to engine speed. In a petrol a general rule of thumb is to lose approx. 1k revs going uo the box and add the same going down the box - where heel/toe or blipping comes in. These figures will be less in a diesel if thats applicable.

Sounds like you are suffering from the "over revving" or "revs hanging". HAve you renewed your clutch switch??? usually solves this problem.when clutchin in your revs will hang hence not resulting into a smooth gear change - sounds awful when the revs shoot up or hang then you gear change, release the clutch and sounds like your 104 yr old gran has took over the drivers seat and left her foot on your accelerator pedal.

Let me know if you need Part number etc for the switch. Costs £11 over here so you'll prob get it for 27cents from your ends.:respekt:

100_1721.jpg

Clutch switch.Basically tells your engine when to drop revs instead of hanging. If its loose (usually go brittle inside) then it wont operate correctly and importantly quick enough. Located just about your clutch pdeal but you'll have to take the bottom panel off under your steering wheel.

Also, is it recommended to get a new clutch switch with a new clutch, after so many miles, etc?

for what they cost then Id say yeah may aswell, you aint got anything to lose!

I was wondering this the other day, i always seem to have revs when i change gear as if i cant get my foot off the accelerator fast enough.
So regardless of how planted your foot is, when you clutch it cuts the revs?
Mines a 2.5 tdi btw.

i always seem to have revs when i change gear as if i cant get my foot off the accelerator fast enough.
The engine management doesn't let the engine revs drop quicker than a set limit - because of emissions issues - which causes the revs to "hang" regardless of how quickly you come off the throttle pedal.

The engine management doesn't let the engine revs drop quicker than a set limit - because of emissions issues - which causes the revs to "hang" regardless of how quickly you come off the throttle pedal.
So its quite normal to hang for a short while?

Theres "Hanging revs" then "Revs that hang"..
I had a major issue with mine that were causing the revs to hang for minimum 2 seconds sometimes aslong as 4 seconds then after seriously diggin through the Net I found that this clutch switch issue was quite common, even in the Vw's/Seats so for what it cost I tried it and fixed the issue 100%. I could led foot it and the revs would drop straight away. Its worth a go for the price of a Pizza!!!:yum: