Fault code 16804 - Catalyst System

acano

Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Ok so i keep getting this fault code thrown up, not really sure why, but I took my car into audi again, to get it checked. Came back that the cat is fine no holes (none they can see anyway) and they said that the sensors were fine, but on the same breath said I should maybe change the sensors to see if that will sort the problem.
seems a bit strange considering they said all was fine!

so anyway done a bit of a search and found this was wondering if anyone had used one before or even thought it might work?
any thoughts?

Tony

Assuming A4/1.8T?

DTC Error according to Bentley Manuals......

P0420 16804 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

It says checks to do:

1. Heated Oxygen Sensor (H02S) -G39- and oxygen sensor regulation before catalytic convertoer checking
2. Oxygen sensors and oxygen sensor regulation behind catalytic converter checking
3. Test-ID 01 Catalytic converter

PM me and i can probably pdf the 3 procedures to you via email!

Sent you an email with pdf with the relevant checks for DTC 16804.

My manuals list them for the 1.8T - but sensor information should still be relevant to your 2.0, as both petrol.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this as I've lived with this error code for quite some time now. Lots done to rectify but still there.

Have you checked all your pipes, breather hoses etc. I had a couple of splits in mine but changing them didnt make any difference unfortunately.

This is what I've done so far:
New MAF
Both Lambdas
Breather hoses
New Cat - aftermarket, bought from cats 2 go IIRC???. About a third cheaper than the stealers but only carries a two year guarantee - vice 3 for Audi. My Indy said that it didnt flush fit exectly to the exhaust manifold but managed to get it on....maybe there is still a leak from that???
Piece of insulating tape over the Engine light!!! - Promotes forgetfullness that the problem still exists!!

Is the car running rich? This would also cause the light to come on - High CO levels IRO 0.3% upwards is MOT fail at fast idle, then default for ALT engine at normal idle is 0.5% to pass.

Before new Cat, check rubbers, exhaust manifold for leaks and even give your MAF a clean with IPA (isoprop alcohol). Read how to's on this before you do though!!

Hope you have better luck than me.

Dougie

2.0 Sport ALT Engine

Did you get to the bottom of this? as ive had the same faults codes pop up from time to time...

Had this code before, check/change the gasket between manifold and CAT and also CAT to downpipe. if these leak it throws off fuel/air ratios, it could also be a loose 02 sensor or it needs a new crush washer fitted.

Ok.. thanks for the info.. as I've the mot 2 weeks back and passed emissions with no probs at all.. very low, so that's good knowing it's not the cats or sensors, will see if they are loose or any leaks as i still have these codes popping up every other week or so, p0421 and p0431.