Newbie questions

markA4tdi

markA4tdi
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I recently bought a 2002 a4 1.9tdi.
I got the past mots and print out of the history from a main audi dealer but unfortunately the service book has gone missing.
can anyone tell me please at what milage and age should the cambelt be done? It was last done at 71k (3yrs old) it now has 125k.

I changed the oil and filter and air filter today (all good there but damn those plastic covers underneath are a pain to undo and put back!.
I was working on ramps) I bought a fuel filter to change as I have no info on when this was last done, are these just a case of unclipping the hoses, take out old one, fill new one with diesel, refit and clip hoses back on?? or is there something more to do? I didnt see a hand prime pump.

I only have 1 key (the remote flip type with 3 buttons) do these cost a fortune to buy, can any audi key be reprogrammed or are they a 1 hit only?

One last question for now anyway lol, I read a few posts on the forum about pressing the check button to let the onboard do the diagnostic check, it completes this and says everything is ok, however the abs/esp light is on whilst driving, anythin I should be checking for? I remember this happened on the wifes clio and the retaining spring had come off the cv boot spraying grease onto the corrugated ring on the d/s so the sensor couldnt pick it up but this isnt the case here, If you turn off the ignition and back on, sometimes it will be ok, but after a while is back on again, when the diagnostic check is done again it stil says ok. Any pointers please.

Sorry for the long winded post guys and gals but any info would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance
mark

can nobody answer any of my queries please?? even just the cambelt query would help a great deal, would be appreciated, just a quick peek in your service book for me please... heres waiting in hope, a fellow audi owner.

i wouldn`t leave the cambelt any more than 60 k or 4 years. esp/abs is a common fault could be something as simple as a sensor fault, get a diagnostic done for that. not sure about fuel filter if its the same as my 2.5 you can get someone to try start the engine and you can loosen one of the fuel pipes a little and it should pump any air out and start. if your gonna get cam belt done just get fuel filter done at same time if your not sure. try a search on this site i`m sure all the questions you asked have been posted somewhere on here already.

Welcome to the forum :)

Audi state the cambelt should be changed at 80k - but as Swine said 60k is far better to prevent any kind of issues. Be sure that all the ancillaries are done too, water pump, pulleys etc.

The (!) warning is the speed limiter is it? When you press "check" while driving it adjusts that and it a fiddle to turn off from memory - I clearly never use mine! Have a read in the book.

Thanks for the posts swine and quattro, I went to the local audi dealership in teesside and was given this info, before 2003 it was 60k miles or 4 years, 2004 and after audi revised it to 75k miles or 5 yrs, that was for the a4 1.9tdi.

so its booked in for tuesday for the cambelt, tensioners, and waterpump at a cost of £419 inc vat. expensive yes, but i figured it would be a whole lot more if it were to snap! the breakdown is as follows £329 for the cambelt, tensioners and fitting (3hrs labour) waterpump approx £90 with coolant refill etc inc fitting (30 mins labour)

I also got a print out of its history and was pleased to know that it was full audi history from portsmouth, so im only missing about 15k inbetween services,

I asked about the diagnostic check that was £118 + whatever they found, so i,ll have to wait untill next months pay for thatas all my disposable income for this month is going to the cambelt this tuesday.

yeah I probably could of saved about 125 if i,d gone to an independant garage but this is guarenteed for a year or 2 and if anything went wrong it was done at audi with audi parts, rather than a independant and pattern parts, so thats the main issue I had soon to be resolved!

my next 1 is this abs/esp light that comes on intermittantly, looked up a few posts on here and it points to the brake sensor switch,, but these appear to be related to the a3, ive checked the brake lights, they both work fine, abs works when the light isnt on, so im thinking its a sensor maybe at the wheels...

yeah I probably could of saved about 125 if i,d gone to an independant garage but this is guarenteed for a year or 2 and if anything went wrong it was done at audi with audi parts, rather than a independant and pattern parts, so thats the main issue I had soon to be resolved!

my next 1 is this abs/esp light that comes on intermittantly, looked up a few posts on here and it points to the brake sensor switch,, but these appear to be related to the a3, ive checked the brake lights, they both work fine, abs works when the light isnt on, so im thinking its a sensor maybe at the wheels...

You need to get it hooked up to vagcom to get the codes for the abs/esp fault, mine was showing intermittent signal from front sensors, so i took them out, cleaned them and popped them back in, all ok since!!

Have a look in the vagcom (vcds as its called now) section on here to see if anyone local to you has it, most forum members will gladly hook you up for a good drink :beerchug:

Thas a good price for the cambelt etc

thanks markyzs much appreciated, i,ll try find that section, were your sensors easy to find, clean and put back on?

any ideas about the audi keys? i only have 1 and need to find a place to get 1 preferably not from a main dealer, was wondering if audi keys of this age were a 1 hit only or wether they can be reprogrammed if i can get hold of 1 from a scrappy or ebay etc and reprogram it