RNS-E or Aftermarket RNS-E which one is better?

j32maniac

Reaction score
Hello everyone, as the title suggest I’m currently thinking of buying a navigation system for my Audi A4 2004. Unfortunately I can’t make a decision wherever to buy RNS-E or Aftermarket RNS-E, I heard that the aftermarket version has much more functions etc. but is it worth it? Maybe someone with more experience could give me advice and tell me the advantages and disadvantages compared with each other.

Thanks in Advance
John Morgan

http://www.go-audi.com/14553-rns-e-aftermarket-rns-e-one-better.html#post17072

Hi John, welcome to the site

Can you be more expansive for aftermarket RNS-E as this is an audi name usually, you mean aftermarket sat nav unit?

RNS-E would work nicely with all systems namely the DIS, also with multi function steering wheel & bluetooth if installed.

Aftermarket may have some extra functions like touch screen & HDD storage, video etc, but maybe wont be so interconnecting with the car.

Last edited:
I would go for the RNS-E it fits in with the dash, the lines of the car and the functions on the MFSW, even down to the colours. But at the end of the day depends on what you want out of the unit.

Ian

i went aftermarket, my steering wheel has no functions etc. so to spend 500 on a wheel and 500 on what is a bellow par system. just for integration seemed crazy.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-avic-f910bt.html

has parrot bluetooth and full dvd etc with map updates. just seems a better system, will have much nicer sound quality too.

i went for one of these

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-dnx5240bt.html

looks totally OEM, the red colour illumination is a perfect match, the satnav is a pain to start with (coming from a mobile phone based tomtom6 system) but now i have it nailed, it is so much more flexible. the parrot BT is great, and i can play ipod, dvd (so easy to get dvd playback in motion) usb sticks, music from my phone via BT, option for tv, aux in, kitchen sink (dont use that option much). oh, touchscreen is cool too

dont regret shunning the RNS-E route one bit. i can get some pics up if needed. i als had to convert from single din which was a ballache, and ended up taking most of a weekend as i took my time, but i dont regret it one bit.

i went for one of these

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-dnx5240bt.html

looks totally OEM, the red colour illumination is a perfect match, the satnav is a pain to start with (coming from a mobile phone based tomtom6 system) but now i have it nailed, it is so much more flexible. the parrot BT is great, and i can play ipod, dvd (so easy to get dvd playback in motion) usb sticks, music from my phone via BT, option for tv, aux in, kitchen sink (dont use that option much). oh, touchscreen is cool too

dont regret shunning the RNS-E route one bit. i can get some pics up if needed. i als had to convert from single din which was a ballache, and ended up taking most of a weekend as i took my time, but i dont regret it one bit.

yeh put some pics up please i might go for this myself

hey guys

while we're on the subject has anyone done an installation for one from a single din to a double din? is it pretty easy or difficult? i have a a4 1.8t b6 04plate. also have climate control ( if that helps) so im really unsure as to how i would be able to install it.

any advise would be appreciated

im also thinking about getting one but i have a single din and dont fancy one of those single din slide out things.

hey guys

while we're on the subject has anyone done an installation for one from a single din to a double din? is it pretty easy or difficult? i have a a4 1.8t b6 04plate. also have climate control ( if that helps) so im really unsure as to how i would be able to install it.

any advise would be appreciated

im also thinking about getting one but i have a single din and dont fancy one of those single din slide out things.

loads do a search, you need to strip the middle of the dash out and replace the cage then slide everything back in.

single to double din is an easy mod and only takes a couple of hours, did mine myself and found it to be straight forward, also no need to buy a new climate control unit as yours can be trimmed down either side and slotted straight back in the lower position.

here are some night shots for colour match. apologies for the poor quality of the first, looked ok on my phone screen...

21112009006.jpg

you can edit the backgoround image of the unit too. you can just about make out the audi rings logo that i have added to mine :)

satnav screen (night coulours diplayed on map)

21112009007.jpg

will get some day shots up tomorrow.