Running on 3 cylinders, everyone should carry a spare coil.

Rhencullen1989

190 S LINE QUATTRO
Reaction score
Today my car started running on 3 cylinders, 1.8T 190bhp, i pulled over, reached in the glovebox and removed the new, boxed coil i bought for my recent trip to scotland, within 5 minutes i was on the road again firing on all 4. Everyone using these sorts of coils, i would highly recommend you keep a spare or two in your glovebox.

Off on monday to buy another "spare one".:icon_thumright:

I keep mine in the lil compartment in the boot.

I got mine from TPS in yeovil, i have an account with them, £22 plus VAT rings a bell, make sure the part number ends in "R". You could damage the catalytic converter if you drive too far on 3 cylinders as the fuel being injected into that cylinder will not be ignited, therefore flooding the cat in fuel. For the sake of £22 its well worth carrying a spare one. No tools are needed to change a coil apart from a flat bladed screwdriver to remove the plastic engine cover, a coin will suffice!

Id say judging by how many of us who have suffered the coil pack fever, most of us are already on the ball mate, I carry 2 spare in my Boot. Bet few still get caught out though...

Are these newer versions more reliable than the older ones, the part number i bought was 06B-905-115-R, the old one i removed was 06B-905-115-L dated september 04. I assume once i have eventually replaced them all with -R's they will be 100% reliable!!

Being only 2 days into Audi ownership is this something I need to consider on my 2004 190 1.8t?

I thought the Audi coil problems from years back had all been sorted.

What are the symptoms I need to watch out for and how do you tell which cylinder is effected?

Misfiring, loss of power and engine management light coming on. I just swapped one coil at a time till the misfire stopped.Sods law it was the last one, but only takes a minute or so to check.

Hi guys, I to have had the misfortune of a coilpack failing on my 1.8t 190. Was good fortune the nice man in the orange van had a spare one. I don`t where I heard this but the jist of it is replace all at the same time as like with light bulbs the new one causes the old ones to fail.
PS I`m new to the forum so I`m finding my feet

:sign_welcome: Shortman..

Just carry 1-2 spare mate, you'll be ok, no need to replace all 4 else you'd be spending a fortune replacing 4 each time if they are as reliable as most of ours on here.
Post a pic of your motor too in the pics thread top of the board!!!