Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

Will I need to change my driving style with the Quattro?

Serious question guys.

Having not driven a Quattro or any type of 4x4 in the past (always FWD, oh and RWD on my VW camper), will i need to change my driving style when i pick up the A4 1.8T Quattro on saturday?

Are there any foibles these cars have that i will need to get used to ?

Anything i should be carefull about when driving that wouldnt of mattered in a FWD car?

I'm looking forward to having some grip at junctions and roundabouts when pulling away in the wet

2. # ADS
    ADS

Four Ring Fanatic

Status
    just keep your foot in!

quattro (all 4wd for that matter) grip better when the power is on plus ESP will kick in if one wheel starts to spin
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

1st Gear

Status
    Avoid dropping the clutch too much, 2wd will spin but 4wd will lunch the clutch quite quickly
    S3, 4 wheels, magical B8's, Eibach, Pipewerx equipped, glass windows, metal engine, silver paint.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    You will notice the weight difference for sure, but will find it just seems to keep gripping.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Agreed, they just grip and go!!

I had oversteer once - I dont feel the need to repeat that moment
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post

hell-yeah mine was at around 80 on a wide round-about - scared the be-jesus out of me
    wish i'd bought a beemer now....

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Humm, i experienced that years ago in my old Pug 309 gti, back tyres were rubbish and would breakaway on roundabouts and sharp bends untill i put a set of yoko's on all 4 wheels, then it stuck like it was on rails.

Some arse in a BM had a big one infront of me on a roundabout a few weeks ago, i think it was done on purpose as he thought it was really funny to be pointing the wrong way on a roundabout in traffic

On Point!!

Status
    Only thing I can say is that you will be praying for some snow this winter when you realise how much grip you have.
    Remember that snow earlier in the year? Not a hint of wheel spin on an untreated road. I put my foot down and whoosh, I took off like nothing I had ever driven.
    Word of warning though, it will still stop like a normal car whatever the weather.
    Enjoy.
    1.8T quattro S-Line in Akoya Silver, Milltek sports cat & 100mm tipped pipes, black Angel Eyes, 18" RS6's (Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta), Bose Symphony 6CD, Moonroof, Criuse Control, Armrest, Full DIS, 0.5 Leather, F&R PDC, Light Pack, Parrot MKi9200
    Coming soon HID's
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2001 1.8T Sport 0 v Swedish Artic 1

2nd Gear

Status
    If you want oversteer just turn the esp off and hoof it in the wet
    FOR SALE... 2007 Rns-e (sds), 2009 OEM bluetooth module, Flat bottom TTRS MFSW, steering wheel control module and slipring. All in Classifieds, Pm me if interested.

RS6 Avant, Milltek non res, Forge, ITG, Bilstein, Hotchkis.

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmay4444 View Post
    Word of warning though, it will still stop like a normal car whatever the weather.
    A very valid point, thanks for making it

Quote Originally Posted by BILKO1 View Post
    I don't thanks. Not on the public road at least!
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

BahnStormer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BILKO1 View Post
    Indeedy! If you don't turn off ESP and start getting oversteer you're probably a bit beyond even semi-reasoanble limits for the public road: 70-80 on dual carriageway junction roundabouts is the only time you can really get enough visibility and turn to do this! And that's NOT to say it's recommended.... if you find you new "driving style" is making this an issue on a regular basis, you might want to look at (1) anger managment classes and (2) a RS4 RARB - keeps the whole car VERY flat... works well in mine, even with my big V6 TDI up-front!

The only thing to REALLY bear in mind is the comment about ramping up the revs and dropping the clutch.... not a good idea! Even with ESP off you'll put an unreasonable amount of strain on the clutch.... so always, left foot all the way out, THEN bury the right foot and just hang on
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

4th Gear

Status
    what sort of clutch upgrades can be done to allow this?
    i cant seem to find anyone who sells uprated clutches.

Neutral

Status
    I've found I have plenty of grip for the available power

As with "normal" cars, you will understeer if you plough into a corner too fast but keep it sensible and you shouldn't be able to phase the car. The only "fun" I have is in the wet with some mid corner 4 wheel drifting but other than that, it's very surefooted

The quattro really came into it's own earlier on this year when we had the snow in the south and southwest - felt planted to the motorway even in the slush and a layer of the white stuff

On the flipside, it's not as much fun as the 2WD with the occassional accidental wheelspin before the ESP kicks in and it is heavier

BahnStormer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutkin View Post

There's definitely kits for the 1.8T and i'm sure I've seen mention of 1.9TDI kits... it's the 325lb/ft / 440Nm on the 2.5TDI's that they don't seem to cater for...

A seriously modifed 1.8T will be hitting 350lb/ft and I'm absolutely certain that MTM do clutch kits for the for 350-400bhp brigade.... i'm guessing that there's a more budget-friendly Sachs version for the much larger group of 250-300bhp 1.8T owners....
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Serious question guys.

Having not driven a Quattro or any type of 4x4 in the past (always FWD, oh and RWD on my VW camper), will i need to change my driving style when i pick up the A4 1.8T Quattro on saturday?

Are there any foibles these cars have that i will need to get used to ?
    Yes, I found that I had to get used to putting my hand in my back pocket much more and stopping whenever I saw a petrol station..

Apart from that - you will love it.. And remember, the first few months are always for free!
    05 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
    Black with a BIG wish list!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lostbok View Post
    The only thing to REALLY bear in mind is the comment about ramping up the revs and dropping the clutch.... not a good idea! Even with ESP off you'll put an unreasonable amount of strain on the clutch.... so always, left foot all the way out, THEN bury the right foot and just hang on
    Second that - light throttle to get the car rolling then as soon as the clutch is fully in right pedal to the metal.

The problem is that the grip of 4 tyres to the road is great enough that the clamping force needed to stop the clutch slipping is so large the clutch would have to be huge and probably wouldn't fit.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutkin View Post
    what sort of clutch upgrades can be done to allow this?
    Clutchmaster make uprated clutches for the Audi range so do Southbend.
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)