HELP! Glove Box Light wiring problem

lee161075

Reaction score
Hello

I have in my car a Glove box light with 2 wires coming from it 1 is Red the other is Brown, I also have the Brake / On / Off switch which act's as the Glove box door damper and this has 2 brown wires coming from it. Finally I have the Main wire with a connector on the end of it which has 1 Red and 1 Brown wire. My problem is I cut them all (stupid I know) to see if I could get the light to work and I have no idea how they go back. Could someone please HELP?

P.s my problem was with the switch and I have bougt a new 1.

Kind Regards Lee:redrs4:

Anyone with any idea's how to fix this and perhaps a diagram.
Regards Lee:blackrs4:

I also have the Brake / On / Off switch which act's as the Glove box door damper

I dont get what you are saying there :think:

I need to take my glovebox out in the next couple of weeks to mend the hinge, and will have a look then if no one has helped in the meantime.

Thanks for reply Quatrojames.
In regards to the switch on / off / brake.
What I mean is on left hand side of glove box as you look at it there is a damping rod which Audi call a brake.
When you open glove box this ensures it opens in a smooth controlled manor. It also doubles up as light switch. When door is open it turns on light and when door is shut it turns it off.
Regrds lee:blackrs4:

Ah ok I see what you mean now! I think it was your use of the word 'brake' which made me think it was something to do with the brake light switch! I was like wtf?! Lol!

You have cut the connectors off the ends?

Dont the colours just match up?

Otherwise i can assume one brown goes to the light direct. then the power wire will go via the brake switch then to the light unit itself.

Thanks for advice Byzan A4
yes I have kept the conectors what your saying about the wires makes sense. I have a red and brown on the light and on the main and two browns on switch. I'll wire the red main to switch then light red wire then brown main to switch and brown wire on light and see what happens.
P.s is brown live and red earth or other way around.
Regards Lee

Sorry Byzan A4 this is where I get stuck.
If 1 brown went to light and red main went to on/ off switch then to light where should other brown from on / off switch go.
Regards Lee

brown is earth, red will be live

you dont need to run the brown and red to the switch, red main to sw, then a wire from there to the one side of the light, then a brown direct to the other side of the light.

It is entirely possible that its brown to the switch, then light, with a perm live(red) at the light too ( its just reveresd to what i explained above.

All the switch does it break one of the feeds to the light, be it brown (-VE) or red (+VE)

Sorry Byzan A4 this is where I get stuck.
If 1 brown went to light and red main went to on/ off switch then to light where should other brown from on / off switch go.
Regards Lee

red to light, brown to switch, then followbrown from the other side of the switch on to the light, as per my post above

Thanks very much Byzan A4 I'm not to good but what you have just said sounds perfect.
Thanks for your help kind regards Lee