Audi 2.4 Cabriolet noisey gearbox

MGTURBOM

Reaction score
Hi there. After some advice with regards to my 2002 Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.4. Car has just covered 89000 miles. In the last 600 or so miles its developed a noise which appears to be coming from the gearbox. Its most audible when accelerating at around 40 to 50 mph in 3rd and 4th gear, also apparent when accelerating at around 70 mph. If you take your foot off the throttle the noise ceases!! Im guessing its got to be a gearbox bearing unless anyone could advise otherwise?? Car still drives ok and theres no apparent other issues.

Sorry - nothing from this corner of the room.

Thanks. I was hoping someone could suggest that it might be somthing straight forward but Im thinking its going to be a gearbox out job!! The cars booked in at the local Audi dealer, bit disappointed that I've got to wait until the 10th November, just not keen on using the car as Im not sure whether its causing more damage.

Whilst on the subject somthing I've always noticed is that first gear has always been very noisey. To be honest it sounds like a A-series Metro :notme:. Is this normal??

Yes it is. Using the car today I've noticed a vibration has started to become apparent through the gearstick