Cat and MOT emissions question - 1.8T 190

dope

alcoholic pervert
Reaction score
Hi All

Just had the main dealer fail my 53 plate A4 because the car was giving the following two faults:

16795 Sec.Air Inj sys
incorrect flow detected

Cat system, bank 1
Efficiency below threshold

However the test sheet says 'Emissions not tested'

They want £950 to stick a new cat on which they say will solve the problem, but my question is why not test the gasses coming out the exhaust anyway? If they were in range would that not pass the MOT??

What do you think - take it elsewhere and get them to MOT it instead?

Cheers

Take it somewhere else as that code can be thrown with a faulty o2 sender too. The other code is more likely a faulty secodary air injection pump, won't affect the running as such, but may throw you into limp mode occasionalliy

Cheers Byzan

It's going to an independent tomorrow we'll see what they say.

Is that the way it works though - if the diag says it's wrong no one even actually tests what gasses are coming out?

hhmmm - so that sounds like Tetbury Audi (Gloucestershire) main dealer failing my MOT when they shouldn't and trying to charge me £950 for a pass. Guess that'll cover their loss leader 'free MOT' offer.

If that does turn out to be the case I'll be asking them why they think it's ok to do that.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post back here with more info when I get it.

...if you do need a new CAT for some reason then dont be paying that. You may aswell treat yourself to a Full Miltek INC Sports CAT @ £1100...

This is the second case ive heard of in as many days of a main dealer abusing the MOT scheme ,
the first the guy was told his car wasnt able to go through test until it had new discs and pads , well thats garbage and they have no right at all to refuse to test a car for that reason,
and this one they cant fail a car for a fault code read they had no right not to test the emmissions they may have passed
the only reason you can refuse to test emmisions is if the tail pipe of the car is unable to put the sample probe in for whatever reason
these dealers need bringing to light and throwing off the test scheme as what there doing is out of order and against MOT regs
this really ****** me off and people like this keep getting away with it
you should get in touch with VOSA and tell them whats happened and where and let them get involved its the only way this has any chance of getting stamped out , also get in touch with audi uk and ask them how there dealers are not following simple MOT testing rules
if no one does anything there going to keep getting away with it:mad::mad:

the cat is a 130 quid part or 510 for a sports cat.

It does not cost 800 quid of labour to replace a cat.

Like paul said Fault codes have nothing to do with an MOT, the test is all performed with no electronics apart from the emissions test which has not been performed on your car, the garage should have performed a standard MOT test then given you the failure sheet with failure readings, then given you advice that these fault codes could be causing your CO2 levels to exceed the recomendations specified for that type of car.

I would not take my car to audi for an MOT if they paid me, but that's just my opinion, £100 per hour labour, no thanks.

Here's an update guys - took the car to an independent test station and it passed first time. The emission were absolutely fine.

I'll collect a complaint form from Tetbury Audi to complete and return to Audi UK and I'll write to VOSA.

Funny - they even gave me a print out that says "reason for failure: Emissions not tested"

Thanks for the replies and support - this forum is so helpful.

I would not take my car to audi for an MOT if they paid me, but that's just my opinion, £100 per hour labour, no thanks.

It's not that bad... you can get it MOT'd, just don't fall for their "the car failed, you have to get it fixed here before you take the car back on the road"... the MOT standards are a lot higher than the "road legal" requirements, so the car will normally still be able to drive the car to the local indy, get the error code reset and/or the problem fixed.

Mine is due next week 10th and yes it's the offer from Audi main dealer. I can't wait
i love having a ding dong with my local dealer... They asked me to leave the last time i was down there roll on next week..

I have just had my FREE MOT with Audi.... BIG FAT PASS i'm very happy.
When booking the car in i never spoke about the free MOT that i was give some time ago. When the car passed i then said that car was booked for it's free MOT. No charge..

Cheers Shaz . I think if you tell the main dealer you are booked in for the free MOT
they will find something to fail it on. I told them after the car had passed, i also know that another member on this forum done the same.

my missus just done the same thing at kwikfit this afternoon, she got a free mot for taking up the insurance with them, they passed it, then said that'll be £44.99, put popped her free mot voucher, an she said the look on the guys face was priceless! defo sumin to remember for my next mot hehehe

I wish i had taken a photo of the guy when i told him . All this free MOT free check up free brakes pad's ect, ect is just to rope in the public. "Sir / Madam we have found something wrong with your car when we were doing the free check up do you want us to fix it" . You know how the story goes. To them it's all about £$£$£$£$£$.

I have just had my FREE MOT with Audi.... BIG FAT PASS i'm very happy.
When booking the car in i never spoke about the free MOT that i was give some time ago. When the car passed i then said that car was booked for it's free MOT. No charge..

But then your car is like brand new mate,i would expect nothing less.lol

Mark i was ready for WAR, i tell ya . I just thought they will find something. Due to the bad luck other member's have had, i was expecting a fail.

After a phone call to VOSA the service manager from the Audi dealer called me to say they're going to discipline the tech who worked on my car and give me back the money I'd paid for the service I'd had done while it was in for the MOT. So I pointed out I'd had to pay for an MOT at an indy and he agreed to give me the money for that too…

Nice one that's what i like.