S4 oil advice please

sonnyjim

Reaction score
Can someone give a little advice here please, other half has reported the oil level warning light has come on on my S4 after a long run. I have done a search and found that Castrol edge 5W/30 is recommended but can this be used to top up the long life oil that Audi has used at the last service?

Cheers

sonnyjim

Do a manual check of the oil-level first... it the level is good, it can be indicative of other problems.

I can't answer your query about the oil directly... IMHO and experience mixing oils is generally a bad idea, if you can find out exactly what is in there, you could top-up with the same.

If you can't find out what is in there... how many miles since your last oil-change? Audi will do an interim oil-change for £99. Or grab the oil and do it yourself, its really not that hard.

My local Audi dealer uses Castrol Longlife SLXIII 5W/30 which is the same as Castrol Edge 5W/30 as far as I understand. Castrol brands it Edge for Halfords. Not sure all Audi dealers use the same though. Some may use Quantum Longlife which as far as I know can be mixed.
I have kept my car on variable servicing but I am going to do an oil change with Quantum Longlife at about 9000 miles maybe over kill but makes me feel happier, just don't like the idea of the oil being in there for 17,000-18,000 miles.

My local Audi dealer uses Castrol Longlife SLXIII 5W/30 which is the same as Castrol Edge 5W/30 as far as I understand. Castrol brands it Edge for Halfords. Not sure all Audi dealers use the same though. Some may use Quantum Longlife which as far as I know can be mixed.

No idea is spot on here apart from it's not called Edge just for Halfords.

All dealers do differ but I know of one that uses Castrol Edge and another on Quantum and Stoke use Shell.

Use 5w/30 but make sure it's tech specs are VW 504 00/507 00 and you'll be fine. Remember though that the V8 can use around 1 litre every month (depending on miles driven etc in that time)

Cheers for the replies, I'm away from home at the moment, hence this is the only advice outlet that is available. The level was checked by a helpful petrol station attendant and was on the lower limit, but he was not sure of oil type so the missus told him to leave it. Just want to get it topped up as I'm away for x amount of weeks, knew it was needing topped up soon but its not really used when I'm away until the other half decided to use it for a long run with the kids and the dog.

Only done about 2k (many left til next service) in 6 months if that, and on variable service, but thinking of going on fixed for peace of mind.

Now do I trust the missus to top it up????

Cheers

Sonnyjim

Cheers for the replies, I'm away from home at the moment, hence this is the only advice outlet that is available. The level was checked by a helpful petrol station attendant and was on the lower limit, but he was not sure of oil type so the missus told him to leave it. Just want to get it topped up as I'm away for x amount of weeks, knew it was needing topped up soon but its not really used when I'm away until the other half decided to use it for a long run with the kids and the dog.

Only done about 2k (many left til next service) in 6 months if that, and on variable service, but thinking of going on fixed for peace of mind.

Now do I trust the missus to top it up????

Cheers

Sonnyjim

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the variable servicing as long as you do an oil change yourself half way through. That way you still get your dealer stamp and peace of mine all so.

I know of a friend's girlfriend who topped the oil up on a car and filled it to the top of the rocker cover!

I know of a friend's girlfriend who topped the oil up on a car and filled it to the top of the rocker cover![/QUOTE]

Thats the worry, also had visions of he spending hours trickling the oil in through the dipstick hole!

Thanks again.

sonnyjim

originally the spec was for 0w30 (this is whats in your handbook) fully synthetic but this has been superceded now by 5w30
i did mine a few months agao and used the castrol slx even though i change the oil every 7500 miles
as for using a 1 litre a month in 3 years of ownership ive used 3/4 of 1 litre to top up and halve of that was when i picked it up from the audi dealer

It may be worth asking your wife what colour the light on the dash is? I had mine come on (can't remember the colour) and i checked the oil immediately and its was fine and it transpired that the oil level sender unit was faulty. Cost £70 ish for the part and was fitted at the same time as an oil change.

My father in law filled the oil up on his golf to the middle of the dipstick cos there was a ridge around that area which he thought was the fill line....... :ohmy: