Retrofitting RS4 (B7) Steering Wheel

ConradBuff

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im trying for retrofit a B7 RS4 steering wheel on a B6 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. Unfortunately I have plug everything in and coded to how I think it should be but dont appear to have any use of the buttons on the steering wheel. The parts I have are as follows -

B7 RS4 MFSW Steering Wheel & matching Airbag
B7 RS4 MFSW Control Module (should I have used the B6 item?)
B7 RS4 Centering Ring

The car currently has Navigation so when coding the new wheel took that in to account. I used the list VAG COM brings up to code the wheel and then plug it all in (not on the column yet, just separately as the Centering Ring still has the red pull tab on it and dont want to take that off until I know its all correct, unless I have to)

Can anyone help me get this working? Or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Rob

Ignore my stupid message, I now know why the buttons dont work.

Apologies for my stupidity :ermm:

good to hear you got it sorted!
you'll be a very popular person on the forum if you're able to talk people thoguth that: there's a few of us who've got it done, but usually professionally....

got any pics yet?

how much did all the parts set you back?

Come on spill the beans what was the stupid thing, takes a bigger man to admit there mistakes, lol & a bigger man to laugh at it, lol

Im getting a little confused if Im honest! The reason I thought I was being stupid is because I read that the buttons only controlled the seat and obviously this model doesnt have adjustable bolsters etc.

Ive since been told though that you CAN use the controls to control the radio. Also, after plugging it all in and bolting it back on I have to recode the ABS and Steering Angle Sensor as normal, but for some reason it is saying the steering angle sensor is locked!

To add to all this the MFSW Control module keeps chucking up a coding fault but in the ABS module of VAG COM NOT the steering wheel module!

So, in short -

1) What are the functions of the 4 buttons on the steering wheel?
2) Why cant I reset my Steering Angle Sensor
3) Does the coding of the module differ in this circumstance?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated and please feel free to laugh away at any previous mistakes! :lmfao:

sigh... if I must post pics of my car: does you wheel look roughly like this one?

if so, there are two large buttons and two scroll-wheels that are also clickable buttons (like a mouse):
(1) the left large button is the "mode" - switches between Bluetooth phone and AV controls.
(2) left scroll-wheel button - hangs up / dials numbers in phone mode, does a "seek" through tracks / radio / TV stations in AV mode.
(3) right large button - activates the "talk" option: not standard in the B6, so you need the roof mounted microphone (note this NOT the same as the BOSE active audio mic!) and you'll need the SDS "low" or SDS "high" hack which then allows you to save voice tags against Naviagtion locations, TV/Radio stations and phone numbers.
(4) the right scroll-wheel button - is the prompt button for navigation directions - especially usefully since I normally have mine set to off... then if you press the button to prompt and give the volume wheel a quick spin up, it will only increase the navigation volume.

only other funtions are the two scroll wheels:
left scrolls through through telephone entries, MP3 tracks, radio/TV station, depending which AV source you're using and which mode you're in.
right scrolls the "active" volume up or down... telephone or music... and if a navigation instruction is being played, then it will change that volume.

An RS4 Steering wheel is totally different Lostbok.
audi_rs4_cabrio_steering.jpg

Audi20B720RS420Steering20Wheel.jpg

Yeap sgt bilko's right, its different interms of the MF features, misses some to, has a set, sport, + & - buttons, isnt same, but I have a mod in the works for this to change watch this space.

Reactions: Arrkon
Yeap sgt bilko's right, its different interms of the MF features, misses some to, has a set, sport, + & - buttons, isnt same, but I have a mod in the works for this to change watch this space.

Let us know when! I'll be interested........

weird - I'd seen those, but thought they were S3 - I've actually been for a spin in a mate's RS4 and sat in the driver's seat (he wouldn't let me drive :(), but that was before I got my A4, let alone the steering wheel upgrade... so I just remember the wheel being "nice", not the details... I certainly wasn't focussing on the bluetooth / volume controls... I just assumed they would have put the same in the RS4 as in the R8 :)

hubba hubba

looks familiar, hey ;)

Last edited:
PJM - seriously? I thought you were going R8 FBMFSW?

it's definitely a lot more subtle than the RS4, but really looks like it belongs and just blends in with the rest of the leather....

Last edited:
the R8 wheel is the upgrade option on the 2009 S4... and ironically (since I I thoughthe 4-button whell was from the S3), the R8 wheel is also the new TTRS and 2009 S3 steering wheel.... there goes my niche :(

PJM - seriously? I thought you were going R8 FBMFSW?

it's definitely a lot more subtle than the RS4, but really looks like it belongs and just blends in with the rest of the leather....

Losty - I've had my RS4 wheel on my car for an whole year now...

as much as the features are nice, it's the look and the feel of the B7 FB wheels that's 90% of it... and I guess that anything that gets the price down is a welcome relief!

I see no point in having the wheel if buttons dont actually do anything or is it one of those toyrus wheels, lol

for anybody with an Auto (or a desire to have the paddles there anyway).... looks like the prices have come down a lot since they started to put the leather versions in the TT's: eBay for £600 inc delivery...

I see no point in having the wheel if buttons dont actually do anything or is it one of those toyrus wheels, lol

I did think about one of them but I thought the stalks that come with them looked a bit cheap and didn't have the toggle button for the DIS. lol

It would be nice to get them working so hurry up with you said mod so I can...

Well I will be selling my wheel soon & for me its the dogs nads basically cause its perforated, alum tip paddles & has nice silver stitching, not the ugly as hell white double white line stitching, hate that wheel now & driving with my one is great where as I found the double stitched one was uncomfortable.

not sure what Gareth (HazzyDayz) did when he fitted mine, but with the OEM Bluetooth (mic in the roof) and SDS High mod, mine has all the functionality of the top spec B7 units :)

what do you mean al the functionality, any B7 that has that setup has the same functionality.

NHN - you can have the MF steering without the voice control (i.e. no roof-mic, so no SDS).... and I though there were two different spec of voice control systems?

Plus if you don't have the Bluetooth, the Mode button is pretty much useless...

The roof mic is part of the bluetooth. It is wired differently if you want to do the SDS hack to make the voice control work.

and on the subject of microphones... forget about the BOSE active audio mic - it's separate and apparently can't be used for the SDS commands or Bluetooth :(

no_idea - i'll take you word for it: Gareth wired mine in :)

I know the wiring fairly well as fitted a number of the full kits with sds/BT/MFSW etc without being big headed, but as I said all B7's with the same setup as yours would have the same functionalities, its not limited just to higher end cars like the S4/RS4, any B6/B7 can have these functions possible.

Bose mic is just to monitor the sound characturistics which IIRC is known as AudioPilot, its built into the amp on my 8P Bose also IIRC.

Bose AudioPilot:
The control algorithm in the amplifier analyses the signals received by a microphone inside the car, and makes frequency-dependent adjustments to the sound and volume of the music. Thus the volume perceived remains constant without any need to make manual adjustments.

Of course there is also Gala which IIRC is speed dependent auto volume adjustments.

NHN - agreed - all B7's with Bluetooth and MF steering would have those features (i.e. the top spec'd B7 cars) - I just though that it wasn't even an optional factory fitted extra when the B6 was still rolling off the production line to have SDS voice control of the satnav/stereo...

for anybody with an Auto (or a desire to have the paddles there anyway).... looks like the prices have come down a lot since they started to put the leather versions in the TT's: eBay for £600 inc delivery...

OH MAAANNNN.....why do people post things like this up????....just as I was 'happy' with my car...........

:hubbahubba:

Hope someone can mod the 's' button to activate a remap, like some companies do through the cruise control.

Mark - think that you spent all that money on that exhaust and how often do you actually look at that... certainly compared to how often you're touching or looking at the steering wheel....

(is this cruel and evil?)

NHN - agreed - all B7's with Bluetooth and MF steering would have those features (i.e. the top spec'd B7 cars) - I just though that it wasn't even an optional factory fitted extra when the B6 was still rolling off the production line to have SDS voice control of the satnav/stereo...

i had a multi function wheel in mine before, which was the b6 version, admitidly it wasnt as pretty as the flat bottoms we now have but it was fully functional.
and you dont need a multi wheel to have the sds anyway

i had a multi function wheel in mine before, which was the b6 version, admitidly it wasnt as pretty as the flat bottoms we now have but it was fully functional.
and you dont need a multi wheel to have the sds anyway

ah - cool - thanks for clearing that up: I though they only had three buttons on each side (which wouldn't cover the same fetaures as the B7 wheels) - and had guessed that the SDS high was the extra option...

Well I did buy it knowing this! Wanted it because of how it looks and wasn't overly keen on the original. Plus I got it for a good price so it would have been rude not to..

so spend the money you saved by getting it for a good price and get the slipring etc, you can get them off ebay.de alot less than your mate at audi, around half money id say

losty,
correct mate, sds can be controlled from a button on the rns-e aswell as the ptt button on the wheel.
to be fair though i never did the sds hack before i changed my wheel so i dont know if it worked on the old one, couldnt see why not though, im sure one of the buttons was a dedicated speech button.

You could always use it as a trigger for the map as this is what the stalk would do no doubt but of course stalk I should think uses the on state permanently until you want to turn of, of course its not that simple overall but its not impossible.

Does apr use the stalk this way?

sds can be controlled from a button on the rns-e aswell as the ptt button on the wheel.
But the button has to be put into PTT emulation mode from the RNS-E Engineering Mode EVERY time you turn the ignition on - it's not a sticky setting.

And it means use lose the Fast Forward feature.

ha ha - thanks for that Dave.... yep... seems a bit of a strange convenience feature if you have to set it up on the RNs-E every time (or press a button on the RNS-E to talk)... not that FFWD is that much of a loss... stop/start phone calls would be though!